Broken Crank Bros. 3ti pedal

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Anything I can do to personally repair this pedal? Are my only options to send to Crank Bros.?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

limba

by limba

Crank Brothers are great at warranties. Terrible at making things that last.

Jepas

by Jepas

Your picture is not clear, but it seems you broke the wings' spring. You can buy new springs online or if they are still under warranty, contact CrankBros.

I couldn't agree more with limba.

damond

by damond

If those are 3ti's i believe they are too old to still be under warranty so i would suggest you to buy some new springs!

Jaker

by Jaker

I've had 2 pairs of pedals repaired/upgraded by the Crank Brother's pedal spa over the years. I've only ever "paid" for the upgrades. None of the pedals I sent in were under warranty.

doccoraje

by doccoraje

The same thing happened to a 4 Ti I tuned with Ti springs, the problem is that the spring was shorter, just a tad, but enough to make this happen. I guess just changing the springs will correct it, in my case I used a plier to "spread" the new Ti spring.
OTOH Crank Bros is excellent with their warranties.

Dilberto88

by Dilberto88

Cranks Bros will completely rebuild that with new spring, for $35 USD.

F45

by F45

Did you actually break anything or did the spring just slip sideways?

nrsnow

by nrsnow

Spring slipped sideways.

DrSpoke

by DrSpoke

I for one will never buy another Crank Bros product again. I've had 2 set of pedals explode on me.

I had purchased 2 pair of Candy Ti a few years back and they sat unused. A couple of years ago I decided to install them as I was hoping to use the same pedal system for both road and mountain. On the first set, the right pedal started coming apart at less than 1,000 miles though I was still able to make it home. Correspondence with CB yielded nothing other than send them to us and we'll look at them. Hoping it was an aberration, I installed the second set. They came apart, right side again, in less than 500 miles. This happened about 30 miles from home and was the first time I've been stranded on the road in over 40 years of cycling. My previous pedals werre Ritchey mountain and even Nashbar mountain and both have endured over 10 years of abuse with no maintenance. I've got a set of Campy Record from 1977 that are still spinning perfectly. I can't believe CB designed these with bushings ... bushings ... really? And then to use a nylock nut - both of which didn't lock very well. Corresponce with CB again produced nothing. I know they have redesigned the new ones but the reviews are still horrific. I've even got a rebuild kit and don't even feeling like installing it as I wouldn't want to even sell them to an unsuspecting buyer.

DrGalactus

by DrGalactus

Spring slipped out of my egg beaters after about 20km, you can widger it back in with some pliers and a hammer and it's been fine for the 500km since

Kegelhoff

by Kegelhoff

DrSpoke wrote:I for one will never buy another Crank Bros product again. I've had 2 set of pedals explode on me.

I had purchased 2 pair of Candy Ti a few years back and they sat unused. A couple of years ago I decided to install them as I was hoping to use the same pedal system for both road and mountain. On the first set, the right pedal started coming apart at less than 1,000 miles though I was still able to make it home. Correspondence with CB yielded nothing other than send them to us and we'll look at them. Hoping it was an aberration, I installed the second set. They came apart, right side again, in less than 500 miles. This happened about 30 miles from home and was the first time I've been stranded on the road in over 40 years of cycling. My previous pedals werre Ritchey mountain and even Nashbar mountain and both have endured over 10 years of abuse with no maintenance. I know they have redesigned the new ones but the reviews are still horrific. I've even got a rebuild kit and don't even feeling like installing it as I wouldn't want to even sell them to an unsuspecting buyer.

Similar story here but mine lasted 20 minutes into my first ride at Brian Head. LONG walk back home after being dropped off by the shuttle van. I had ridden Speedplay for 10 years and decided to "Upgrade to these". Bummed that I missed the entire day with my friends when my brand new pedal blew out. Over a year now bashing the XTR and not a single issue other then they weigh more but last!

Liggero

by Liggero

I've been 15 years no in a set of speedplay frogs. was gonna jump into CB, but i guess i shouldn't do.

are the new pnes with NO BUSHINGS, the more expensive ones better, or not even them? pedals with busshings are a big crap. just do not buy them...
Happy Trails !!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com