Cancellara will make an attempt on the world hour record.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Pretty much all the equipment rules for the hour record are specific to the hour record, and are very restrictive:- ironically requiring a very custom build for sure.
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... g&LangId=1
About page 70 I think

strobbekoen

by strobbekoen

Interesting that the distance covered by the last incomplete lap is calculated from the last complete lap time. This is not entirely accurate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Does he wear a leather helmet? Shaved head? Is he Spartacus or Tony Montana for this one?

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Can he use the faux-TT position with forearms on the bars?

A few pics of his 2012 Domane on show at the etape this wknd

euan

by euan

ultyguy wrote:Can he use the faux-TT position with forearms on the bars?

UCI commissaires might say no

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Dunno, it says what bike and measurements, not how you have to ride it.

That said, I think he would go for the spirit of the thing and go old school.

el condor

by el condor

Just got a answer from a friend of mine who is UCI commissionaire-just a regular bike as Merckx rode it, no extensions and no disk wheel.

KWalker

by KWalker

My guess is they'd just set the drops up to be in the same position as his arms would be in a TT position. I can imagine a shallow, narrow bar, such as one that comes on Trek's women's bike.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

Standard UCI rules only allow body/bike contact at specific points. They don't enforce fake aero bar restrictions on the road, but I would guess they would be likely, and would have the grounds, to enforce it for an athletes hour ride.

The track regs I linked to cover all the basic requirements. Hutch had a bunch of more stringent requirements come up on the day, like only one person trackside, no digital watch etc....

You have to have a traditional drop bar shape, but can go down to a 34cm width. Reach is limited by the standard UCI envelope for bar position and bike wheelbase, but yes, Boardman and Hutchinson found enough room in the setup options to go with a long position.
Check also their extended length of drops on the bars, so they can rest their wrists there and get a little bracing for the arm position ;)

euan

by euan

ultyguy wrote:Dunno, it says what bike and measurements, not how you have to ride it.

That said, I think he would go for the spirit of the thing and go old school.

The UCI have a lovely get out jail card, in the spirit and similar to how Merckx did it. That is why Hutch couldn't use a digital watch, etc etc etc. If Merckx didn't do it or didn't have it available to them the UCI representative of the day will not ratify your attempt.

jooo

by jooo

I know the record would kind of mean nothing to the UCI, but I'm a little surprised no one seems interested in giving the hour record a shot on a UCI legal IP bike. Despite the advantage Boardman had in his freedom of position, I imagine his 56.375km could certainly be given a shake by someone now on a legal bike.

e.g. Bobridge knocked off the 4000m IP record and Aus/TeamGB have continued to break the team pursuit record. Someone like Wiggins or Martin wouldn't really have to change their position much (or at all) from a road TT bike and have proven to be super strong against the watch in similar length tests.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

KWalker wrote:My guess is they'd just set the drops up to be in the same position as his arms would be in a TT position. I can imagine a shallow, narrow bar, such as one that comes on Trek's women's bike.

I think that's what Obree was aiming for when he was aiming for a crack at the hour record a few years back:-
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

jooo

by jooo

@Tapeworm - I guess Boardman was also quite similar.

Sosenka is similar too and I'm guessing that the only reason he wasn't much 'longer' is that he's much taller than the other 2 and the UCI rules don't exactly give people like him a lot of freedom.

CarlosFerreiro

by CarlosFerreiro

You can see Boardman resting his wrists on the long drops there.
And his digital watch! :wink:

Hutch at least, thought Sosenka's height gave some advantages as he could ride with a low torso angle but still keep straight arms.A bit less aero but much easier to sustain the turns. The bottom of the drops have to be above the top of the wheel under general UCI rules, so shorter riders lose that option, unless they ride smaller wheels.....

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

ultyguy wrote:A few pics of his 2012 Domane on show at the etape this wknd

whoa he's got tony martin's name on his bike for motivation?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com