Sram 22 with non 22 components

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JimV

by JimV

Has anyone tried Sram 22 levers with new Red cranks and or derailleurs? When new Red came out it was said that you could not mix it with old cranks and levers but there were many combinations that worked fine. I have old levers and new cranks and new derailleurs and that combo works great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigismond0

by sigismond0

It should be fine in the front, but you have an extra gear in the back that might not be too happy. You should be able to adjust so that you use all but the "lowest" gear in the shifter and have it max out against the low limit screw, giving you an effective 10s shifter.

Seems a bit silly though, using a more expensive 11s shifter when you just need the 10s one.

eric

by eric

11sp spacing is different from 10sp spacing. I doubt it will shift correctly on a 10sp cassette. If the pull ratio is the same on 11sp vs 10sp deraileuer then 10sp derailleurs should work on an 11sp cassette with 11sp shifters.

I think this has been discussed on another thread so you may find the pull ratio answer if you search.

JimV

by JimV

Obviously an 11 speed cassette. Why would one buy 11speed levers and not a 11speed cassette?

sigismond0

by sigismond0

In that case you do definitely need the 11s chain. From what I understand, 10s crankset/front shifter/FD work just fine. Shifting is a weeeee bit off up front because the 10s derailleur has a wider cage for the 10s chain, but it's still perfectly doable.