"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

KWalker

by KWalker

MattSoutherden wrote:
strobbekoen wrote:Not sure if this been posted before, but some numbers on the final climb saturday

Froome: 435W , 24'41"
Contador: 361W

Yes. If he was at 6.5W/Kg for 24 minutes. That would seem pretty consistent with an ftp of around 6.1/6.2W/Kg

Not sure why that's surprising.

If he rides Ventoux or the d'Huez double at 6.5, then we have a problem.

This explains it a bit. I'm not convinced it was super dirty, but rather a product of a perfectly executed stage and seizing control of the moment: http://veloclinic.tumblr.com/post/54770 ... rning-shot
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aerozy

by aerozy

I actually like to think Porte is riding clean. Ive always liked his style of racing and being an australian my self I would hate to come to realize otherwise.

What I didnt like was his post race interview on stage 8 where he arrogantly downgraded Quintana and his tactics basically calling him an idiot with a "what was he thinking when he attacked?". If thats not disrespecting your adversaries I dont know what is.

As to my prior comments I would have thought Porte would have tried to minimize his losses after he lost touch to the main group. A top 10 finish would have been in his reach easily but I guess he's fully dedicated to Froome and not thinking of his personal ambitions. Those will probably wait for the vuelta. Hey he may even had team orders to take it easy.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

aerozy

by aerozy

strobbekoen wrote:He was at 6.3 W/kg for 24 min
Contador 5.91

Didnt sports science say he did a low 23min with 6.5W/kg? Maybe they got it wrong
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

gravity

by gravity

Can we talk about Quitana now? Boy, he's flying! So far he's the only rider that ride with panache, and for that i think he deserve more attention, air time, column inches, etc etc.

Also I think he was actually able to attack and leave Froome on the final climb yesterday, but given there was a descent right after, best if he isnt attacking. After all he demonstrated a fairly poor descending skill in stage 8. i hope he wont lose much time at tomorrow's ITT.

airwise

by airwise

Life's really easy in the mountains for guys that are four foot tall and weigh the same as a packet of peanuts.

ITT's are somewhat more challenging for them - that's the joyous nature of the sport.

Rob81

by Rob81

aerozy wrote:
strobbekoen wrote:He was at 6.3 W/kg for 24 min
Contador 5.91

Didnt sports science say he did a low 23min with 6.5W/kg? Maybe they got it wrong

even if I like to do these simple calculations too, W/Kg from VAM is affected by many variables: http://blog.aeroweenie.com/2013/07/watt ... l?spref=fb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so there's always a part, not marginal, of error.

KWalker

by KWalker

Quintana can TT decently well too IIRC. He will probably win or podium a Vuelta reasonably soon.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

MiSzA (PL)

by MiSzA (PL)

Where do you guys take the kg's for the riders from? C'mon... You should know better.
Shouting 6.3, 6.5 is pure... well, let's just say - not very smart.
To be accurate for the w/kg calculation you need precise FTP, wattage for the duration and weight of a rider. What you can be certain of is only a bike weight - 6.8 - 7.2 for most guys. The rest is pure speculation - and most of you seem to forget about it. When using "facts" bring the "facts" forward - not hearsay.

http://blog.aeroweenie.com/2013/07/watt ... -math.html

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

Maybe Porte is going to chug a bottle of Jack Daniels with his unborn twin tonight and then ride back into contention tomorrow in a suicide breakaway...

*totally tongue-in-cheek*

Razor

by Razor

Anyone know who the Garmin rider was that took out Kyrienka on that downhill section? What a bone head move.

euan

by euan

It was Kennaugh that was hit

Razor

by Razor

euan wrote:It was Kennaugh that was hit

Right, got it. Seeing that Kennaugh is a big part of the Sky team, not much being made of that incident. Unlike when Greipal caused that crash, they went on and on about it and laying blame directly at him.

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I read it was Hesjedal who connected with Kennaugh. Wind must have caught them shades.

Razor

by Razor

Pharmstrong wrote:I read it was Hesjedal who connected with Kennaugh. Wind must have caught them shades.

:lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Razor wrote:Anyone know who the Garmin rider was that took out Kyrienka on that downhill section? What a bone head move.

Looking at the re-play multiple times, the Sky rider took himself out. Hesjedal came up on the left side, which surprised the Sky rider (I guess he expected that if the team rode side-by-side no one would try to pass them?), and the Sky rider took himself out, falling to the left - actually about to lean INTO to Hesjedal. Hesjedal remained upright, continued forward, Sky rider falls down the ravine. There was no initial contact. The only contact between the riders came as Hesjedal stayed upright against the Sky rider falling to his left.

Bone head move? Yeah, I think Sky making the ASSumption that they could just ride side-by-side across the road and create a block without anyone challenging them is a bit of a bone head move.

Tant pis.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.