Loudest freehub?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Devon

by Devon

Any opinions? Campagnolo compatible please.

Sorry, accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. I understand it should be in the 'Everything Wheels' section. Please move.
Last edited by Devon on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

quattrings

by quattrings

Hope pro 3 mono
Chris king r45
I believe white industries has loud freehubs as well.

I don't see the point however on road bikes. on the trails it's nice because you can let people in front of you know you're there without having to remove your hands from the bars to ring a bell. On group rides it becomes annoying really quickly when everyone has freewheels that sound like you're pushing pencils through an electric fan. Just my 0.02$ :wink:
Last edited by quattrings on Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

My Alchemy ORC is joyously annoying. (Campy cassette body as well.)
The Soul hubs are also loud.
Not sure about the new CK R45 for Campy - no personal experience. Hopefully it still has the bee sound.
White Indust? I had an old pair a million years ago and they packed some notable decibels.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

R45's really aren't that loud, even running thinner lubricants. They coast with a smooth, but still audible, hum. My favorite road hub by far. Nothing like CK classics. WI hubs are louder, as are all of the "generic Asian" hubs that I have. The Hope Pro 3, as mentioned above, would be louder than your average hub, but how well they play with Campy 11 is up for debate. If you could rebuild the Hope with the internals from a Hope trials hub you would probably have the loudest road hub ever to exist. I cannot imagine what my trials hub would sound like laced to a deep, resonant carbon rim. I probably wouldn't ever want to ride it.

For higher end hubs I would put my money on Alchemy, followed by WI for volume. If you are just looking for a unique sound the R45's are cool, without the volume levels to bother those you are riding with.

Devon

by Devon

Good feedback, thanks. The Hopes are the cheapest option and seem to be a fairly good weight. Planing to build up with a pair of Archetypes.

Stoo

by Stoo

My zipp free hub is mega noisy!!!
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

chris king or dt swiss. dat buzzzz

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Loudest hub I ever heard was my friend's Zipp 808. The big hollow rim does wonders for amplifying the noise. I can only imagine a Chris King hub on something like that.

CarpetFibre

by CarpetFibre

I had a Zipp Campagnolo hub on a 900 disc (the old type before the red/blue ones) and it made an absolute racket!

Guerdi

by Guerdi

Tune hubs are loud too. So loud it's annoying.

deltree

by deltree

Devon wrote:Good feedback, thanks. The Hopes are the cheapest option and seem to be a fairly good weight. Planing to build up with a pair of Archetypes.

Just had a set of old Pro3s rebuilt onto Archetypes. Absolutely kickass combo. Went 32h 2x front and rear.

Only downside being the thicker rim profile has exposed the fact my chainstays are out :cry:

Devon

by Devon

deltree wrote:
Devon wrote:Good feedback, thanks. The Hopes are the cheapest option and seem to be a fairly good weight. Planing to build up with a pair of Archetypes.

Just had a set of old Pro3s rebuilt onto Archetypes. Absolutely kickass combo. Went 32h 2x front and rear.

Only downside being the thicker rim profile has exposed the fact my chainstays are out :cry:

Why did you go for such a high spoke count? What weight did the build come to?

deltree

by deltree

Had the hubs laying around from when I rode CX. The Pro3s have been laced to Open Pros and 50mm carbon tubs. Bullet proof reliability. I don't have any scales at home but I can weigh them when I get to work tomorrow.

Devon

by Devon

Would be great if you could, cheers!

Zen Cyclery
Shop Owner

by Zen Cyclery

Tune hubs are the loudest that I've seen. The Alchemy ORC is a close second. T11s would be third. And surprisingly the R45s are the quietest of the bunch.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com