Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RobJ

by RobJ

Nancy responded back to me with pricing. They have the 40's in both tubular and clincher.
2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

bobalou

by bobalou

StradaJon wrote:Hello, this is Jonathan from Strada mentioned by Josh above - I can confirm we will have a demo set set of the Rail here shortly for demo rides. They will be built onto Chris King R45s with Sapim CX Rays. They will be also raced over the season on the Surrey League and over in Wales too on a multi day stage race too. Keep an eye on our FaceBook page for updates.

Are you speaking of the November Bikes Rail 52? I was able to demo the wheels and posted a short review not long ago. I'm looking forward to reading how you guys get on with them.

Bob

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spytech

by spytech

ferrarista wrote:I've been talking with Nancy Yu from light-bicycle.com.

they have a 50x23mm and 45x24.5mm rims. They are not posted on their website yet.

here are the drawings she sent me.

23mm is 165$ each and 24.5mm is 170$ each. shipping is like 50$.

What is the weight of the 45mm? the 50mmx23 is quoted as 455g, but says nothing about the other.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

spytech wrote:What is the weight of the 45mm? the 50mmx23 is quoted as 455g, but says nothing about the other.

She said 450gr. +/- 15
██

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Hmm, those for ~450g are very appealing. That's the only clincher listed here that seems appealing to me. Did you happen to get a price on them? Didn't see a lot of info on those light-bicycle hoops in this thread.

spytech

by spytech

price for those are listed. 45x24.5 is $170

those seem interesting for sure. though i like the 40mm from hongfu, but they are a little porky at 480+/- 22g, so they can come out at 500g.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

The rim bed in the Hongfu clinchers is also a hair too narrow. I'm back and forth between the Hongfu tubulars and the light bicycle clinchers.

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

they have a 50x23mm and 45x24.5mm rims. They are not posted on their website yet.

I'm especially interested in these, but a tubular version...

Boyd wheels have a great line of revamped carbon clincher and tubular for 2013. I would really like to get a hold of the rim they use, but according to their website it is proprietary. They list the specs as 44mm deep, 23.5 wide at the top and 24.4 wide at the bottom of the brake track, which appears to match the image above. They offer tubular and clincher... Although the exact details of the drawings (see product line http://www.boydcycling.com/2013-product-revamp/) are a tiny bit different, I think they may be the same mold, if not the exact same layup.

So my question for ferrarista... Any mention of a 44mm tubular with Nancy?? Any one else seen these rims out there in their research?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

JN2Wheels wrote:

I'm especially interested in these, but a tubular version...

Boyd wheels have a great line of revamped carbon clincher and tubular for 2013. I would really like to get a hold of the rim they use, but according to their website it is proprietary. They list the specs as 44mm deep, 23.5 wide at the top and 24.4 wide at the bottom of the brake track, which appears to match the image above. They offer tubular and clincher... Although the exact details of the drawings (see product line http://www.boydcycling.com/2013-product-revamp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) are a tiny bit different, I think they may be the same mold, if not the exact same layup.

So my question for ferrarista... Any mention of a 44mm tubular with Nancy?? Any one else seen these rims out there in their research?

I think light-bicycle has them in tubular too. But these are 24.5mm at the brake track and about 27mm at the widest part. not the same as boyd.

send an email to Nancy at light-bicycle to see if they have stock on the tubulars.

Another positive I've heard about light-bicycle is that they have someone in USA to handle warranty problems. So if you ever need to use the warranty , you don't need to send the rim back to China , but in USA if i'm not mistaking.
██

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Thanks for the tip. I shall e-mail Nancy.

I do think that they are the same... if you examine the Boyd image, and compare with the Light Bikes image, the widths appear to track, 23.5 at top of brake track, 24.5 at bottom of brake track, then continuing wider till about 2/3 way down. This is not labelled on the boyd image, but looks to widen to about 27mm. The 44 vs. 45 depth difference could easily be explained by where on the bead seat the measurement is taken, allowing Boyd to differentiate a bit. Again, I'm just suggesting the numbers and images look so similar that the same mold could be the connection, with perhaps a custom layup developed for Boyd.

Anyway, thanks!

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Doesn't mean they are similar that they are the same. The drawings don't even match. Boyd clearly say they are 23.5mm at the brake track and 24.4 at the widest part under that.

It doesn't get clearer than that really. So you have 2 choices, either buy the boyds and spend 1400$+ or you could get 2 sets of wheels with farsports, hong fu , etc... the choice is yours.
██

JN2Wheels

by JN2Wheels

Nope. That is not what he says. The exact quote is ...

"All rims will now carry a 23.5mm wide brake top at the top of the brake track, and will angle outward to 24.4mm at the base. This angled brake track will improve the airflow over the tire onto the rim, help toe in the brake pads, and also help to dissipate against heat buildup on the edge of the rim."

A bit ambiguous, sure. But when you look at the drawing, it is clear that he is talking purely about the brake track with his two dimensions, and that the rim continues to widen below that till about 2/3 down. Don't mean to be arguing, just wanted to share excitement at potentially finding the a source of rims similar to his. None of the others mentioned in this thread are 44-45 deep, with what appear to be these same widths.

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

I can assure you that we are not using anything the same as any of the rims in this thread. I'm not surprised that similar rims shapes and depths have popped up recently, but all of our rims are made in a very high quality factory in Taiwan. We were actually lucky to get floor space in this factory. You will not find our rims on any other line up and they are definitely not going to be found in the direct from China lines. We spent about 14 months work of work refining the rims, materials, brake tracks, hubs, and brake pads before they were ready to be released.

You may find rims that are similar in shape to a lot of different companies, but that does not mean the quality is going to be anywhere close. You guys can buy these rims cheaper than my cost and I'm placing orders in the hundreds at a time. Depending on how you look at it that can be a good thing or it can be a very scary thing.
http://www.boydcycling.com The Handcrafted Revolution

RobJ

by RobJ

Here is the latest geometry on the HongFu aero/wide rims. I was quoted $459 for the 40mm tubulars and $479 for the 56mm tubulars. Didn't specify the hub, but I'm assuming it's the Powerway hub. CNspokes aero 424. 1386g/1467g respectively. That's about 100g over 303's/404's. Not bad for saving over $1k. Hard to pass up too when my local builder charges $100 per wheel to build, so if these aren't up to snuff, I can just have them rebuilt and not be out any more than if I had them built from the start.

2020 BMC TeamMachine SLR 01

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

$100 per wheel? Wow, is he the only wheel builder in town or something and can then justify that cost?

Locally (here, big city?) there are plenty of amazing wheel builders and the going rate is around $45/wheel.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com