Time xpresso pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Wobbly likely best describes the play I have in mine as well. Bearings have never been an issue with Time pedals before. If anything, they've always had the best bearings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Can anyone advise as to what type of bearings are in the pedals or which models uses bushes? Can't see anything on their website about it...

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

AFAIK they all use one industrial bearing at the crank's end (6(1)801 RS2) and a bushing at the tip of the axle.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Camilo

by Camilo

rowdysluggins wrote:I've got the 12s and after 400 or 500 hundred miles, no squeaks yet. To solve the squeak problem, I'd probably try a dry lube like Finish-Line Wax or DuPont Chain Saver, on both the pedal and mating cleat surfaces. Speed-play actually recommends that as part of normal maintenance.

I wonder if a good high polishing would solve the problem without the addition of a lube product that could be messy and/or attract dirt? That's what I'd try first - probably a good metal polish like made for chrome or Brasso or something similar (I've got several versions of this sort of stuff in the "polish" box in the garage), and polish any plastic contact points with rubbing compound or some version of a plastic polish. I could imagine that 2 minutes of rubbing with a fine abrasive high gloss polish would get rid of the squeaks with maybe an occasional touch up. I would think that any lube product might have to be added fairly frequently, where polishing, if it worked, would be touched up every few hundred miles or so.

Anyway, I'm interested in the topic. I just put a second road bike into service and needed a second set of road pedals. I have been riding RXS pedals for several years and have been 100% satisfied (actually one chipped (minor, still functional) when 3 years old and TimeUSA replaced it free. I was interested in trying a set of IClics or Xpresso's on the new bike, but of course was stopped by cleat incompatibility. That to me is a MAJOR error by Time - not making all of their road pedal iterations compatible.

Instead of buying two new sets of pedals, I simply bought another pair of RXS - which again, are great pedals. I just wanted to try something new, but do require to use the same cleats for both. When the RXS cleats wear out (man, these things are great for wear!), I think I'll sell both pair and buy a couple pair of Xpresso. Life's too short not to try new things!

boolinwall

by boolinwall

Considering how cheap you can get xpresso's online, it might be worthwhile. I may try your polish idea. Thanks!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Ive finally worn out a pair of my old RXS carbons..the pedals have actually worn down on the sides after about eight years but I'm still not convinced to go with the Xpresso's due to the bearing play I keep hearing about...I still have RXS Ti's on my race bikes that are fine...

Can anyone give a detailed head to head comparison between the RXS & the Xpresso?

boolinwall

by boolinwall

THe xpresso's are easier to engage. That's pretty much the only improvement. And they weigh less.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I'm interested in these but my exustar pedals are still going strong. I think I'll wait at least until next year and see how these hold up over a longer period. I loved the rxs pedals I had but one of the ti pedals had developed a clicking after 2 years and it turned out to be the bearing. iclics were just a disaster so I'll wait it out.
Speedplay is the devil!

MOTOMATT
Shop Owner

by MOTOMATT

I tried my Time X-presso 12 this weekend for the 1st time, I like them a lot, easy entry, & solid feel when clipped in :thumbup:

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Ordered a pair of Xpresso 6's so I look forward to see how they compare to my RXS's...

boolinwall

by boolinwall

I'm interested in hearing how your bearings feel after a few good rides. Mine have gotten bad enough that I've switched back to my I-clics.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

I've got probably 1000 miles on mine now with some pretty hard riding (lots of intervals and climbing). The bearings are still nice and smooth. I've had no problem, and actually I like them so much that I ordered another pair.

savechief

by savechief

Just got my Xpresso 8's in the mail today. Slightly overweight at 201.8 grams, but I'm not going to sweat 6.8 grams. Hopefully I'll get in a ride with them this weekend.
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

tokyoturtle

by tokyoturtle

Been on Xpresso 4s for a month, def. solid and easy to clip in. BUT, has anyone else had false clip-in issues? On occasion, I hear the click and feel the pedal when pulling up, but my foot is not solidly on the pedal and rocks side to side a bit. Click out then back in and it's solid as it should be. I've heard from others that cleat wear can cause this, and my cleats have gotten quite chewed already on the walking surfaces (first time on time pedals so adjustment period), but I've only got a few hundred kms on the cleats. New cleats needed?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elpampeano

by elpampeano

the mine too !! i have the xpresso 2 and no issues in + 2000 km nice nice pedals and very eye catching !