"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Michael, what's the podcast name? The link takes me to the podcast app but not to the podcast itself.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

mdcreed81 wrote:Also, there is another podcast where we talk the tour pretty much every stage. that's here
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/rac ... d668459898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In the latest one we talk about sky's domination.

The latest one was pretty much on the money.

spartan

by spartan

movistar/saxo/belkin lost a huge opportunity to bury froome. he was completely isolated the last part of the race and no one attacked.. ok movistar tried near the top of the climb. too little too late.

best commentary from frankie ...

http://www.steephill.tv/players/720/bicyclingbc/?title=Stage+9+Tour+Talk+w/+Frankie+Andreu+and+James+Startt&dashboard=tour-de-france&id=2532015932001&yr=2013
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

Ghost234

by Ghost234

apparently there was a wicked headwind going up that final climb, so that is what discouraged a lot of attacks.

But I agree, today was the day to try and break Froome. He is the strongest person in the race. They should have done anything and everything to try and get him weakened or dropped as he will likely crush it in the TT.

Liggero

by Liggero

Attacking from the start would be definitely very different from what we are used to, and also extremely stupid... But it would be a very original way of losing the reamaining opportunities of any rider to do a decent GC.

Now, back to reality, the question is not anymore if Froome has doped or not. That question has been completely answered. The question now is what is the kind of doping they are using, what is it, and when it will be widespread. It's also important to know how many years are required to be able to detect it in frozen blood samples. Just like they did now with JaJa.

And the most important thing, who will finish second? Hope they don't declare this tour empty, like they did with LA, as that won't be fair.

Right now, Val Pity is the current virtual maillot jaune... so I guess that means that in, let's say 2020, 2013 tour will be declared empty. How cool eh?
Happy Trails !!!

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Another boring day at the tour, bossed by the invincible Sky train...

Oh wait!
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

ave

by ave

Conspiracy theory: Sky ordered Porte to play dead..

I liked Froome's interview saying that you can't keep performing day after day, and that's bike racing.
Soo, I think he must be doing something else, not racing his bike. ;)

Nah, I don't know, but it was almost good racing. Except that I wanted to some of the guys letting other go ahead, and let Froome get them back. Instead Froome never had to chase anybody else than Quintana. Who, by the way, is the new Contador, isn't he.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

KWalker wrote:
Tinea Pedis wrote:Marvellous for Martin to show how weak the Garmin team is :roll:

Since this is directed at me and you seemingly can't read clear English, I never said the riders on the team were weak, I said that they were not a threat to Sky or any team with GC ambitions. I quoted Vaughters as saying that they would give Sky a run for their money as my reference. Is this clear enough? Even when I broke down each rider I said Martin was a great rider, but my point was that they wouldn't have a team capable of, like Vaughters said, giving Sky any trouble in the GC battle.

Anything else you need me to clarify for you or is being smug more fun?

Ryder Hesjedal (CAN) potential threat depending on recovery from his crash. Strong ride this year, but not as snappy as Froome, Contador, or the Rodriguez although he could take a stage win or get in a risky break
Daniel Martin (IRL) same as Hesjedal

Less than a minute off the podium

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Sky Procycling 36:59:18
2 Alejandro Valverde Belmonte (Spa) Movistar Team 0:01:25
3 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Belkin Pro Cycling Team 0:01:44

8 Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin-Sharp 0:02:28

Your words, in "clear English", chief.

Simon Clarke says, roll with it

KWalker

by KWalker

Lets wait until the TT then talk. He won't be a minute off after that point. I still stand by my words and look, they came true! Garmin is not a GC threat and won't be. 1:32 off of mediocre competition at the Tour de Suisse, but I haven't been able to find anything where he's done better. Top 10 sure, but unlikely top 5.

What are some other things I should not like just so you can like them out of spite?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ultyguy

by ultyguy

ultyguy wrote:Everyone ready to be bored out of their mind watching the Sky train today? Cause that's what's going to happen.

Hopefully tomorrow's up and down route prompts some of the Spaniards to attack from far out.

I don't think it was a 'missed' opportunity, the amount of energy required just to set up the situation yesterday would've been enormous. At least Movi gave it a proper go and didn't lay down for Sky....only problem now is that by the time they get to the Alps, Froomy Doggy is gonna have another 2-3 minutes on everyone.

aerozy

by aerozy

Conspiracy theory: Sky ordered Porte to play dead..

Funny same thing crossed my mind. Porte performance reflected two completely diferent riders from one stage to another. I mean even on tired legs you dont go from dominating a stage to losing 20minutes. Either he got sick, forgot to take his pills or like you said is playing dead.
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

TiG

by TiG

I don't think he's a completely different rider. After he dropped he only lost serious time onthelast climb where he confirmed he sat up didn't he? On the second last climb he was closing the gap, I assume that once he realised he couldn't close the gap with no other help he decided to conserve. My take..

HillRPete

by HillRPete

ave wrote:Conspiracy theory: Sky ordered Porte to play dead.

Been wondering too. But think about what's to gain (merely an ebbing off of some critical voices) and what's to lose, in case Froome crashes, or some other unplanned thing happening. Nobody (DS) in their right mind would risk that, and surely not with two weeks to go. Team managers have people to answer to, as well.

euan

by euan

aerozy wrote:I mean even on tired legs you dont go from dominating a stage to losing 20minutes. Either he got sick, forgot to take his pills or like you said is playing dead.

But that didn't quite happen. He lost contact. Started to chase back, Movistar then rode with 4 riders to keep him from getting back and staying dangerous in the GC. When it became obvious he wasn't getting back he sat up and rode in with Ryder.

So he had a bad day, lost out on GC and then chose to take it easy to save himself and not make things worse.

airwise

by airwise

Isn't it a shame that every Tour now sees assumptions of guilt based on nothing other than preconditioning and historical evidence?

Ignoring Liggero, if people are going to cry foul when riders have a good day and equally when they have a bad one, what chance does the sport have going forward?

edited to remove personal attac-CC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com