Planet X Exocet 2 sizing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

n1klass

by n1klass

I have decided to get into some TTing for the second part of the season. And since I'm not sure that I like TTing or is remotly good at it I'm not willing to spend to much money on a high-end bike. But then I found the Planet X Exocet 2 which looks like good bang for the buck. But now it comes to the sizing like always. And I'm not very good numbers so I thought that the WW community could help me out here.

First of all, my measurements. I am 181cm (5'11) and have an inseam of 89cm (35"). My roadbike is a medium/54 Scott Foil and even though I have pretty long legs I like to sit a bit lower then I sohuld maybe. But from what I have read on the interwebs is that most people size their TT-bikes down a size. But when looking at the geometry for the Exocet 2 I find that size M or L would be the choice for me. But when I comepare the reach/stack for the Exocet and the Foil I don't get it, can I even compare a TT and a roadbike? The reach is higher on the medium Exocet then on the foil but the stack is way lower. I'm not the most flexible guy but I concider myself pretty flexible atleast.

But what do you think. What I feel just by looking at the geo is that a Large will be to long for me and that the Medium might give me to much drop. What are your thoughts? Any Exocet 2 users out there? Are there any other good TT-frames that I should look at? I have a 7900 groupset and wheels already so it's only frames I'm looking for, no complete bikes.

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tinozee

by tinozee

Can't comment on size but I really like the Planet X track and TT frames and finish for the prices.

wasfast

by wasfast

Stack and reach between a TT bike and Road bike are totally different. I'm 5'9" and ride a Small in most bikes. I have a Exocet 2 in small currently.

The "go down one size" is a total guess. In my case, I fit on a 55cm top tube road bike but need a 50cm top tube TT bike. The headtube is the place where TT bike really diverge from road bikes.

My advise is to get the medium. You have lots of options to go up (stems, spacers, aerobar spacers etc) but once your at the bottom, even with a drop stem, that's it.

Even more, I'd advise getting a fit on a TT setup BEFORE you buy a frame.

n1klass

by n1klass

wasfast wrote:Stack and reach between a TT bike and Road bike are totally different. I'm 5'9" and ride a Small in most bikes. I have a Exocet 2 in small currently.

The "go down one size" is a total guess. In my case, I fit on a 55cm top tube road bike but need a 50cm top tube TT bike. The headtube is the place where TT bike really diverge from road bikes.

My advise is to get the medium. You have lots of options to go up (stems, spacers, aerobar spacers etc) but once your at the bottom, even with a drop stem, that's it.

Even more, I'd advise getting a fit on a TT setup BEFORE you buy a frame.

How high is your seatheight and whats your inseam? But I've heard that the seatpost is pretty long on the Exocet 2 so seatheight might not be a problem anyway...