On the road today...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

GASer

by GASer

Been riding at Dubai today!

Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

So many things to upload, so little time to sort through them.

Recently, south of Lake Tahoe last Thursday:
Blue Lakes climb (perhaps the easiest climb in the area, but fun and among the most scenic with the least amount of traffic). Taken on a short little "loosen the legs" ride while suffering under a nasty cold, which had a stronger impact than expected on the following Saturday.

Sorry Dalai, no photos from that Saturday. It was 110°F (asphalt reading off the Garmin). Kingsbury, Luther, Carson, Blue Lakes, Ebbets (both sides), Monitor (both sides). The weather made "epic" into a battlefield of misery with many, many victims. I hope the weather is in your favor when you get out here!

Also, this:
Fallen Leaf Lake (Lake Tahoe adjacent), an amazing place to take an easy afternoon rest.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jmilliron

by jmilliron

Nice. Can feel the altitude in the first photo.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

Miller

by Miller

As usual, great photos in this thread, too many to praise individually.

Myself, photographing pretty things this morning. A little bit of off-road to visit a local nature reserve, Hurley chalk pit:

Came back through Henley where visitors are pouring in for the regatta. The weather is superb and the ladies are going for it big time.

Willier

by Willier

Got bored on the way home...

jmilliron

by jmilliron

GASer wrote:Been riding at Dubai today!

http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp35 ... 080155.jpg

Looks post apocalyptic. Wild.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

More to the point, it looks sandy. Did you get a lot of sand in your drivetrain?

tcurtbike
Best Freak bike poster

by tcurtbike

GASer wrote:Been riding at Dubai today!

How do those roads work? Is everything to the left (from the POV of the photo) of the divider a bike lane?

willy

by willy

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Willy, liking the blue and pink kit...any full shots of it?

GASer

by GASer

jmilliron wrote:Looks post apocalyptic. Wild.

tcurtbike wrote:
How do those roads work? Is everything to the left (from the POV of the photo) of the divider a bike lane?

HammerTime2 wrote:
More to the point, it looks sandy. Did you get a lot of sand in your drivetrain?

This was my very first ride in Dubai. There is a group named Dubai Roadsters sponsored by a LBS that do group rides during both weekends (Friday & Saturday here) and weekdays.

Ride started at 0530 to avoid the heat of the day, start point was the Nad Al Sheba Cycle Track, an amazing bike only track that can accommodate fast cycle routes of 4, 6 and 8Km. The place had very good quality of tarmac, was almost flat and is lighted for night rides as well. It also has an off-road running course to suit both bike+run athletes.

Nad Al Sheba is not the only cycle track in Dubai, there is also a much longer course of 80+km, I think its named Al Quadra but I still need to discover this option in the future.

During Friday's ride we only did a warm up round in the track and then left to follow public roads accompanied by three support cars sponsored by the group and the this LBS (where I rented this aluminum Scott). There were two options, either do an 80Km route (which I preferred at this time) or do the full blown 120km route. Speeds were 38-40Km/h on average on pretty flat (no more than 3% inclines) and excellent paved roads. Riders were very friendly from around the world, as 80% of the people living here are ex-pats.

Driving is done on the right side of the roads. Was a really nice experience and even at this time of the year that temperatures at 40s (Celsius), intense cycling is enjoyable during the morning.

Here are some more shots I took that morning.

Shots from the Nad Al Sheba Cycle Track

This is a quick stop at the 40th km where the 80 and 120 km routes split. Ice cold water was offered by the support vehicles.

Out on the sub-urban roads before heating the desert

This is inside the cycle track. The road on the right side is for support vehicles or so. You can spot Burj Al Khalifa at the back, the highest building in the world!

Just before start at 0530

That's me :D

Trek SpeedConcept 9.9 Project One, Basso Diamante SV, DeRosa SK (sold), Orbea Orca Gold 6430gr, Orbea Aqua, Tommasini Tecno, FM-066SL 6480gr, Kinesis RaceLight T2, Trek Superfly 100, Orbea Alma 29, Specialized Enduro S-Works 29, KTM EXC-250

PSM

by PSM

Me in Skåne, Sweden today:

campbellrae

by campbellrae

From today's ride in the Trossachs north of Glasgow, perfect weather if a little too hot for me :lol: Don't get to say that often around here!

Strava of the ride:

http://app.strava.com/activities/65387399

xcnick

by xcnick

North Yorkshire already getting ready to welcome the Tour de France next year!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GASer

by GASer

The Al Qudra cycle track of the 86km loop at Dubai. Did not ride it, just paid a visit today. Amazing tarmac, vehicles free! The actual track is at the last photo on the left side. Was told that there is a service stop at the middle, including a Trek bike shop...