Going to smaller frame

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

thanks guys, i want to make an adjustment that i have a 32 inseam, LOL

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

i was wondering, i see the running ads for falcobikes, are those any good, i feel like once i sell my cervelo, i really dont care if i get a home brand bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

I went from a Scott addict sl frame in medium (54.5 TT) to a NeilPryde bura sl (53 TT) in small. I was using a 90mm stem w/ bars that had a reach of 72. When I switched I also went to a 100mm stem. Most recently I went to bars with a reach of 85. With the old bars I was getting some shoulder pain from being cramped. There are other differences in the geometry between the 2 bikes, but in the end I believe the fitter I used a few years ago was more interested in getting me to a position he thought was right instead of what was right for me. Granted a few things have changed, most notably my upper body strength and flexibility but if you do the math....

FYI, I'm 5'7" with a 31 inseam.
Speedplay is the devil!

AaronKellogg

by AaronKellogg

I made a switch a few years back from a 54 to a 52 and have been very happy with the fit. I'm 5'8" with a 30" inseam. My struggle was achieving a sufficient amount of saddle to bar drop with the taller seat and headtube of the larger frame. I would echo all the above advice with this caveat, fit on a bike is an extremely subjective thing. Just because you see a bike set up a certain way doesn't mean it will necessarily be good for you. I would definitely caution against look at a "pro" set up and just trying to mimic that. Those dudes ride incredibly aggressive positions and frequently ride a size smaller than what would be "normal" to achieve that position. While it may be efficient and effective for them it could result in an uncomfortable set up for you. You're frequency and type of riding, general flexibility and overall body lengths will determine what will work best for you. Good luck!

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

hello all and thank you for your input. my only reason for the switch to a smaller frame would be to achieve a shorter reach instead of the 80mm that i have on now, it does seem as if my inseam is a bit on the longer side to my upper body. the big thing that does cause me to be a little worry is the shorter head-tube which if i remember right is about 160 on the cervelo rs

kgt

by kgt

70-80mm stems and road bikes do not match.

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Looking to get a new frame, my inseam is 32 and Im 5 7 1/2, currently ride a 54 Cervelo RS with 80mm stem, I can go longer but my shoulders and neck get a little sore. do you guys think I want to go down to 52 TT. but on the other hand, the head tube getting smaller might a issue, please advice, thx

audiojan

by audiojan

By going down to a 52, you mean a 52 RS? If a different brand and/or model than all bets are off, there's no such thing as a size denomination standard.

What are you trying to achieve by changing the frame?
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

from doing a bike fit at a local fitter and competitive cyclist, the numbers put me more on a 52 tt, the bike doesn't need to be a cervelo rs, actually been thinking of getting a Ti Fulcon

DaveS

by DaveS

There's more to reach than just the TT length. The seat tube angle must also be considered. A cervelo has a 73 degree STA, that shortens the reach by about 1cm, compared to another brand with the same TT length and 74 degree STA.

If you go down in size, the head tube may be 20mm shorter, so you need to consider how that affects your stem setup.

I've very close to your size and would pick a 52, but I'd use a 110mm stem with short reach bars. The short head tube is no problem for me, but if you can't tolerate at least a 7cm saddle to bar drop, then it could pose a problem. I use a saddle to bar drop in the 9-11cm range.
Last edited by DaveS on Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HUMP DIESEL

by HUMP DIESEL

I am 5'-8" with a large inseam as well and I am on a 52 Cannondale with a 120mm stem, 10mm of spacers, a saddle height of 75.3 and I have the seat slammed all the way back. I have thought that the Cervelo/Jamis geometry would fit me a bit better, because there are time when I get some tightness in my shoulders. Typically happens when I train and not to often when racing. If I can get a pic, I will post it.

HUMP
Why are the best things in life always the ones you start last?

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

thanks guys, keep the info flowwing

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

i was wondering, if I have my seat put too forward, would it make it hard to rotate your my pelvis forward?

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Yeah. Pic would be great

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

HUMP DIESEL wrote:I am 5'-8" with a large inseam as well and I am on a 52 Cannondale with a 120mm stem, 10mm of spacers, a saddle height of 75.3 and I have the seat slammed all the way back. I have thought that the Cervelo/Jamis geometry would fit me a bit better, because there are time when I get some tightness in my shoulders. Typically happens when I train and not to often when racing. If I can get a pic, I will post it.

HUMP

I'm 5'7.5" with a short inseam of 29 inches and rode a friends' 52 cm CAAD 9. Which definitely is my size. Going larger would certainly not work. I rode it stem slammed 110mm stem -17 degrees with a lower saddle height then you