Bontrager XXX Lite front rim crack, What to do?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CamMancuso

by CamMancuso

I got a set of carbon Bontrager XXX Lite clinchers from a buddy that doesn't race anymore (they are the 2007ish model). The front rim has a few hairline cracks at the spoke holes. The rear is just fine. My question is do I get the rim repaired? Or do I somehow try to track down a replacement or something that'll serve as a close replacement? (I have no idea where to look for an exact match or a replacement that'd match the rear nicely). I've had a good experience with Brady Kappius at BrokenCarbon who repaired my seat stay on my mtb, his wheel repair rates seem reasonable (the frames got over 1000 miles on it since and is still solid), I'm a little bit more suspicious about a repaired wheel than a frame though, is anyone riding a repaired carbon rim daily/a few days a week?. I've tried contacting Bontrager on a few occasions but I haven't heard back and am not sure they care too much since the wheels are a few years old and I am not the original owner. Any positive input is appreciated.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

A regular customer at our place had the same issue this week. either get the origional owner to make a claim or trek offer a crash replacement which is 20% off the price for a new wheel.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I wouldn't ride a repaired wheel (carbon or aluminum). There's too much pressure/tension on those wheels, which means an elevated risk of failure. If the original owner can't/won't do a warranty claim on the wheels, see if Trek will give you a crash replacement discount (they probably won't, since you aren't the original owner). Either way, don't ride those wheels.

BTW, Bontrager phased out their RXXXL wheels, but the new RXL TLR's are close to the weight, and have better braking characteristics than a six year-old carbon clincher.

Fisherfreerider

by Fisherfreerider

The (crash replacement) now called a Loyalty Discount applies to anyone with a carbon product, does not have to be the original owner.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

Must be the twin spokes causing too much tension in a small region. My friend had this happen on a pair of Aluminum Bontrager wheels. I actually rode his wheel and didn't notice until I looked down and was like WTF

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

and the origional xxx rim is currently available with trek
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013