BMC Team Machine SLR01 (update 8/17/15, pg. 5)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

plpete

by plpete

Thanks! I did not get it from Bikeradar. I purchased pretty much the whole bike minus wheels via ebay and then made some changes. Mainly contact points, wheels and brakes and little details here and there.

Milese

by Milese

lovestheclimb wrote:Did you buy this off Bikeradar?
you got a cracking deal if you did, great looking bike, rather jealous
Enjoy

I got mine from Bikeradar and am rather happy with the deal I struck.

I decided against a compact, and have put on a Ultegra 28T cassette which seems to do everything I want it to. I hadn't appreciated how much of an improvement to ratio's 27 > 28 makes.

I've made a few changs, velo plugs, planet x titanium skewers, original Easton EC90 SLX3 bars, Bike Ribbon Spunga bar tape, Ultegra cassette.

Weight is now coming in at 14.75lbs (6.69kg), with pedals, 2 x cages, Sram garmin mount & cadance sensor (not the actual Garmin). Could easily drop to 14.5lbs if I splashed out for a red cassette and took off the Garmin stuff (or lost a bottle cage).

I cant see anywhere easy to go from here for some savings? Thoughts:

Wheels - book weight is 1400g so potential to drop a couple of hundred g but for £££
Stem - might save 20 or 30g if I swapped the EA70 for an EC90 (to match bars), but again £££
Titanium stem / seat post bolts - probably only 10 or 15g of savings for £15?

I think its time to enjoy it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

plpete

by plpete

Milese wrote:I got mine from Bikeradar and am rather happy with the deal I struck.

I decided against a compact.............I think its time to enjoy it.

Looking good! But please create your own thread for your bike so we don't mix stuff up and cause confusion :thumbup:

Krull

by Krull

very nice bike, love it with the dura-ace-wheelset!

rheosibal

by rheosibal

I was going to suggest Williams Carbon Cages, but it seems you beat me to it!

Nice ride altogether
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

plpete

by plpete

Thanks! The wheels are great! Very happy with them. I was always impressed with Williams products. Great price and weight too! The cages are a perfect combination of looks weights and grip. They hold tight but not a death grip :thumbup:

plpete

by plpete

Small update. Have been looking into getting a set of deeper carbon clinchers. After tons of reading I am getting ready to finally pull the trigger. November Rail52. I'm lucky enough to have a friend who owns a set so I was able to get my hands on them for some test rides. The weight, depth, rim width are just right as well as the price. As much as I'd like a set of Enve Smarts it's simply not in the budget and I feel like I will get about 90% of those wheels with the Rails.

Today I went out for a ~50 mile ride in pretty windy conditions which were actually welcome today since I would get to really see how the deeper Rails do in the wind. I was expecting to get blown around quite a bit but was really pleasantly surprised! I won't tell you that they handled similarly to shallower rims but they really were VERY manageable. Never felt like I was about to get blown over to another lane. Very happy with that aspect.
At speed they behaved similarly to my DuraAce C24 wheels but really started to come alive once I hit mid 20's MPH. When I was shielded from the wind during several parts of the ride I was able to smoothly and easily hold a 25ish MPH tempo. I also felt like I was a lot faster during descends. There is a straight downhill during the ride where I would usually hit low 30 without hammering. With the Rails I looked down and saw 38MPH. Not bad.
Breaking was fine. I expected a slight decrease in breaking performance but was never really concerned. Pads used were the supplied SwissStop Black Prince. Comfort was also great and the wider rim is definitely to thank for that. I ran about 85PSI in the front and 90PSI in the rear. My weight is about 160lbs (yes I let myself go over the holidays :lol:)
Being a geek that I am I brought out my ParkTool tension meter. I went ahead and checked the drive side spokes on the rear wheel and can happily report that they were ALL exactly the same. On the dime. Major props to November guys for a well built and tensioned wheel.
These are just my initial impressions and I plan on getting in a few more rides in on the BMC as well as my CAAD8. Below is a quick and (literally) dirty pic after todays ride:

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Hey Pete - the Rails52 look awesome on your BMC and, by the sound of it, ride awesome! :-)
Today's wind was pretty stiff in places, with cross winds too, so its really promising you weren't buffeted on 52mm rims...
Let us know as you get more mileage out of them....they sounds interesting and not as widely known as the usual suspect wheels
Also roughly how much does the set weigh?
Let's ride soon, cheers !

plpete

by plpete

Hey Vlad! I definitely will ride them plenty more times just to make sure the placebo effect of new bike parts wears off ;) November has been around for a while and seem to have decent products, prices and support.

The advertised weight is 1525 grams for a bare set with the November branded Novatec hubs. The borrowed set I'm riding weighed in at 885 grams for the front and 702 grams for the rear for a total of 1587 grams, but that weight includes rim tape which I doubt is included in the advertised weight. With a rough estimate of the cheap rim tape being...lets say 20ish gr. a wheel... the weight is pretty close to what is claimed. If I wanted to shed some weight there I could always opt for velo plugs or some lightweight tape, but it's really no big deal. Regarding the hubs, I have no complains there. They rolled very smoothly and I used the SL version of those hubs when I built my first wheel set recently. Built up very easily into a stiff (for me) set of wheels and have been flawless so far.

Hope the weather will be decent so we can get a ride in!

vlastrada

by vlastrada

Very cool, very stealthy :)

So what's the total weight of the bike with the Rails and is the project complete, or as complete as any WW project can be :)?

Also, I hear you are experimenting with some new WW cable housings?

plpete

by plpete

Vlad, you know it's never over ;)

I will let you know the total weight once few more small things are complete. I rode the Rail52s again last weekend (on the CAAD8 this time) in very cold and windy conditions with some strong cross winds. After that ride I was sold and my set will be arriving this week :thumbup: I ordered a set of GP4000s for the Rails which have been a bulletproof tire for me for a while now but now am also considering a tire with gum walls. I think it might look pretty nice on the Rails. Also, not any time soon, but I will probably rebuild the Rails with a nice lightweight hub set which should drop their overall weight closer to low 1400 grams.

As far as cables go I will give the new Jagwire Elite Link system a try. The shifter cables are not too hard to find but there seems to be a shortage of the brake set in black. Given this cold winter we have been having I will probably tear down the bike and rebuild it and get a new updated weight!

plpete

by plpete

Wheels are here! Tires and tubes are not, so I won't be riding them too soon, which is fine given the freezing cold outside and salty roads. I also ordered a set of the new Jagwire Elite Link cables in black for both the shifters and brakes. Once they arrive I will tear down the bike, clean and rebuild everything.

So onto photos and number!

Wheels arrived well packaged.

Aside from the wheels, the box also contained a set of November branded skewers, a spacer to run a 10 speed cassette since the hub is 11 speed compatible, and a set of SwissStop Black Prince pads that are to be used with the wheels.

The skewers are a bit porky at 113 grams

The front wheel with installed plastic type rim tape came in at 696 grams

The rear wheel with installed plastic rim tape was 880 grams

The set is 1576 grams. I opted for the silver and red decals and I think they look great and will perfectly match the BMC

I will most likely run them with my 11-28t cassette for majority of my riding around where I live. For the days when the road points up and serious climbing will be taking place I will run my DuraAce C24s with 11-32t cassette.

plpete

by plpete

I finally got my hands on the new Jagwire link cables and could finally begin the rebuild. The frame got a good clean and a coat of wax.

The link cable housing from Jagwire is great. It's the first time I used this type of housing and although it does require some more work to install I found it very easy to work with. It allows you to easily go back and forth when customizing the cable length to get it perfect. Out of the shifters you begin with a traditional type of housing. Once you go around the bend you start with the links. The liner that was supplied seems to be the same size for both brakes and shifters as so the actual links. The liner also has a good amount of greenish lube for smooth action. The length, amount of links and actual cables differ between the shift and break kits. Here is a close up of the actual links:

They are very light. I took a piece of regular housing that weighed in at about 24 grams and an equivalent link piece weighed in at 11 grams! The links just slide up to one another and do not click in when compressed. Below are a few close ups of the routing:

Still need to wrap the bar, clean and install chain + adjust front derailleur, cages, install seat post and it'll be almost done. The carbon wheels in the background will go on the BMC as well :) Detailed part list and updated weights to come...

Valy

by Valy

so shiny!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

L84AD8

by L84AD8

plpete wrote:I finally got my hands on the new Jagwire link cables and could finally begin the rebuild.

Nice work :thumbup: , would love to know what you think of the new Jagwire link cables..