Sub 1300g "everyday" clinchers. Can it be done?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I built up a great wheelset under 1300g. Kinlin XR-200 rims built up into a 1279g wheelset (567g F / 712g R) with Dati hubs, 20/24 CX-ray spokes, and alloy nipples. Pretty good for the money (US$352.00).

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I like that. Very good xnavalav8r.

Just need to be below 190 lb and use 24 or 28 drilling.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

xnavalav8r wrote:I built up a great wheelset under 1300g. Kinlin XR-200 rims built up into a 1279g wheelset (567g F / 712g R) with Dati hubs, 20/24

Stay away of Dati hubs, Rubbish, Rubbish, Rubbish!!! Sorry, but I'm allergic to these hubs.
Proved to be completely shit for riders 200lb an equally for 140lb. Do the search.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Kermithimself wrote:Instead of posting a completely new topic, I thought I might get my questions answered here.

77-78 kgs, sprinter kinda guy, looking for a wheelset that can be used for climbing, but also sturdy enough to be used for training.

Would like to keep it sub 1300 grams, and already have an option that involves:
Tune Mig45/Mag170 hubs
Sapim CX spokes - 24/28
Criterium rims - looks like a Kinlin XR200

Just below 600 euros.

I want to keep it clincher, as I never got around to being a fan of tubulars.

So my questions are:
1. I read something about Stan Notubes had some failure issues when used as clincher - anybody can confirm this? Or would that be a good rim as well?

2. Should I go with a 24/28 option due to my weight/power? Or can I go lower than that?

3. What other hubs are similar to the Tune Mig45/Mag170 in terms of weight/durability?

4. Would there be any idea in taking a rim with a slighty higher profile, such as a Kinlin XR270, which should be stiffer, and then go with a lower spokecount?

I had a set of Dura Ace C24 clinchers that were good. A tad flexy under load, but worked good for climbing.

No one?
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

1415chris wrote:
xnavalav8r wrote:I built up a great wheelset under 1300g. Kinlin XR-200 rims built up into a 1279g wheelset (567g F / 712g R) with Dati hubs, 20/24

Stay away of Dati hubs, Rubbish, Rubbish, Rubbish!!! Sorry, but I'm allergic to these hubs.
Proved to be completely shit for riders 200lb an equally for 140lb. Do the search.

Can't seem to find bad reviews. Where are you looking.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

LouisN

by LouisN

Kermithimself wrote:
Kermithimself wrote:Instead of posting a completely new topic, I thought I might get my questions answered here.

77-78 kgs, sprinter kinda guy, looking for a wheelset that can be used for climbing, but also sturdy enough to be used for training.

Would like to keep it sub 1300 grams, and already have an option that involves:
Tune Mig45/Mag170 hubs
Sapim CX spokes - 24/28
Criterium rims - looks like a Kinlin XR200

Just below 600 euros.

I want to keep it clincher, as I never got around to being a fan of tubulars.

So my questions are:
1. I read something about Stan Notubes had some failure issues when used as clincher - anybody can confirm this? Or would that be a good rim as well?

2. Should I go with a 24/28 option due to my weight/power? Or can I go lower than that?

3. What other hubs are similar to the Tune Mig45/Mag170 in terms of weight/durability?

4. Would there be any idea in taking a rim with a slighty higher profile, such as a Kinlin XR270, which should be stiffer, and then go with a lower spokecount?

I had a set of Dura Ace C24 clinchers that were good. A tad flexy under load, but worked good for climbing.

No one?

Look out for a couple of Stan's Alpha 340 threads kermit.

I built a set with the older, lighter Stan's Alpha 340 for a 175 lbs friend. 24/28h, with CX Rays and alloy nipples, and Tune Mig70/Mag 170. It came at 1208g if my memory's correct). The rear wheel spokes slacked after about 1000-1200 km's. I re-tensionned the wheel this spring, didn't hear anything from him since, so I suppose the wheels are fine. The wheels are good as light climbing wheels (for my friends use), but definitely not under the stiff category. Depending on the type of riding and the roads it still can be an everyday wheelset...

Using XR 270 would bring you more in the 1375-1400g category, definitely stiffer.

Louis :)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My every day clinchers weigh in at 1362g and I am 82kg. I have 28 spoke XR-200 on Novatec hubs. I went with 28H rims as that is all the distributor had. Now they have 24H rim coming. so If I were to redo my wheels I would do 24F/28R with Novatec A291/F482 SB-SL rim, laser spokes and alloy nipples and weight would be in the 1310g range for not alot of money.

Weather they would be fine for riders heavier than me is an open question but for me they would be fine.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

I'm also planning to tackle the sub 1300g "everyday" clincher too. Also, this will also be my first wheel build, so please bare with me if I ask a newbie question.

Here's a quick profile about me:
150lbs 5'8"
Loves climbing and mashing up a hill, this is what I would be mainly using the wheels for

I would need some recommendation on parts, so here are some of my requirements:
-Stiff
-Soul S2.0 as a benchmark in terms of weight and price

1415chris

by 1415chris

stella-azzurra wrote:
1415chris wrote:

Can't seem to find bad reviews. Where are you looking.

I'm pretty sure I was posting these pictures before, don't remember where...

First one, rider about 60kg/ 130lb, mileage 4-5k km/2.5-3.1k m.
Broken spindle and destroyed ratchet pawl slots as shown on the pictures:

https://plus.google.com/photos/11780281 ... banner=pwa

Second one (mine) rider about 90kg/ 200lb, mileage about 4.5k km/ 2.8k m.
Broken pawl, and spindle. Bearings of the front one, after maybe 2k km/ 1.2k m picked up the drug.

Bear in mind the rear spindle is only 10mm! General, quality of these hubs is very questionable at least.
In my case the worst hubs I had a pleasure to deal with, by quite distance :wink:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/90178027@N02/9212752453/"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90178027@N ... otostream/"

MNX1024

by MNX1024

MNX1024 wrote:I'm also planning to tackle the sub 1300g "everyday" clincher too. Also, this will also be my first wheel build, so please bare with me if I ask a newbie question.

Here's a quick profile about me:
150lbs 5'8"
Loves climbing and mashing up a hill, this is what I would be mainly using the wheels for

I would need some recommendation on parts, so here are some of my requirements:
-Stiff
-Soul S2.0 as a benchmark in terms of weight and price

So, no one wants to help me out here?

Anyway, aftter some research, here is my potential build list.

Rims:
Pacenti SL23
Kinlin XR19W
Kinlin XR-200
Stan's NoTubes ZTR Alpha 340 Rim

Hubs:
UL190 UltraLight Rear Hub
SLF71W SuperLight Wide Front Hub
UL66 UltraLight Front Road Hub
Dati Hubset

Spokes:
Sapim CX-Ray

Nipples:
?

So, for rims I'm leaning towards the Pacenti more since it does have a wider width and I do like that for various reason. Also, it's probably the stiffest out of the three I listed. Now, my question is, is it possible to build a wheelset under 1300g with the Pacenti rims? Is the XR19W much more stiffer than the XR-200, enough to warrant the weight gain or should I just go with the XR-200 if I decide to got he Kinlin route? Stan Alpha 340 vs XR-200?

As for hubs, I'm not sure which one to go for on the front. Any comment or feedback concerning the hubs I listed would be nice. I know that there's some bad reviews with the Dati, but they're cheap and light, can't complain especially these will be just everday wheels.

Nipples! There's just too many to choose from and I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking at. Some recommendation and thorough explaination of "why those" would be real nice so I can understand the difference between them.

xnavalav8r wrote:I built up a great wheelset under 1300g. Kinlin XR-200 rims built up into a 1279g wheelset (567g F / 712g R) with Dati hubs, 20/24 CX-ray spokes, and alloy nipples. Pretty good for the money (US$352.00).

How do you like your build so far? Are they any good with standing up and mashing up a hill? I might go your route with some slight modification seeing how it's light and inexpensive.

eric

by eric

XR200s laced 20/24 on Dati hubs with narrow flange spacing will anything but stiff.

And they're not everyday wheels.

I'm 145 lbs and do a lot of climbing. My everyday wheels are XR270s on BHS hubs, 20/28. They weigh about 1440g. You can have light or you can have stiff and durable. But you can't have both.

dmp

by dmp

I certainly can be done.

My every day wheels: Stans 340 (new style), Alchemy ELF/ ORC hubs laced 24/28 2x, Sapim C-Xrays, aluminum nipples. 1270g with Stan's tape. I've been riding them for a year, never needed truing or had a problem. I'm 58kg.

You could still get close to 1300 will a less expensive hub set.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^^^dmp...this is the way to go...like that build.

caballero

by caballero

Hey all,
I live and ride in the mountains of Japan, especially the Japanese alps and would like to build a set of tubulars for everyday riding which includes lots of mountain passes and descents.
I want to avoid carbon rims on this build due to high possibility of wet conditions or snow in the early/ lat parts o the year.

What do you guys recommend ?

I'm thinking ambrosio cronos 28f 32r laced 2 or 3x front and rear, sapim laser or a mix of revolution front, comp and rev mix rear, al nipples on tune mig70 mag 170.

I weigh around 65-69kg depending on the time of year.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

I have Ambrosio F20's 28 / 32 on Chris Kings with cxray and they are plenty strong enough for my 80kg, suggest you could drop to 28 x 28 at your weight (depending on your power levels of course)

Oh and that build wighs 623 FR, 771 RR
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde