Frame size, new bike fitting, questions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

USPS

by USPS

My current bike does fit - but its the only fit I have ever known. I'm wondering if the 58 would fit me "better". I do have consistent hand numbness problems - though I have been properly fitted on my bike. The only thing wrong with my current fit that has been pointed out to me is that my handlebars are slightly too shot in width.
I do have a unique build. Square like - that is, the width of my arms is the same length of my legs.

The problem is, I'm not sure what aspects of my fit could be improved as this is the only road bike I have ever been on. I couldn't tell you if my reach is off or not. Are there certain things I should be aware of next time I take my bike out to determine what will make a better fit when purchasing my next bike?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Those numbers are pretty close to mine. I was fit on a 58 and I always felt like it was too big so I took it upon myself to size down to a 56. I feel like my fit is much better now. I guess I am between sizes and I have always heard to size down.

DaveS

by DaveS

Hand numbness might be caused by too much weight on your hands, and the excess weight is often the result of the saddle being too far forward. Your LBS is likely to suggest raising the bars to solve the problem, but that's not the proper solution.

With your long torso, what stem length are you using?

The reason that I mention stack and reach is that there are only small differences between frame sizes and a 56 or 58 can be made to fit the same. The 58 would use 2cm less spacer under the stem and probably one size shorter stem.

USPS

by USPS

DaveS wrote:Hand numbness might be caused by too much weight on your hands, and the excess weight is often the result of the saddle being too far forward. Your LBS is likely to suggest raising the bars to solve the problem, but that's not the proper solution.

With your long torso, what stem length are you using?

The reason that I mention stack and reach is that there are only small differences between frame sizes and a 56 or 58 can be made to fit the same. The 58 would use 2cm less spacer under the stem and probably one size shorter stem.

Stem reach (c-c) is about 3 and 3/4 inches. 9.5 cm 95mm

TopQuark

by TopQuark

+1 on a 56 if size is the ETT particularly since you are using 95mm stem. I will take a smaller bike than a slightly larger (longer TT) bike. If you have the flexibility to get your back lower, I would say go for 58 but be forewarned that it may cause you numbness in hand and neck.

DaveS

by DaveS

It makes no sense to try a larger frame is you're using a stubby 90-100mm stem. That's probably a fitting error too. With a long torso, 110-130 would be more common.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Mr USPS...
Having seen your bike in the intro gallery, one of the things thats probably confusing you is your bike.
Those old madone's had notoriously short headtubes, so its posssible that is the reason you were getting uncomfortable, as you could be getting weighted more on the hands.

Like daveS says, manufacturers sizing means very little. I ride 51.5, 52 54 and 56cm bikes depending on who's it is..

Go round the shops and try as many different bikes and "shop experts" as you can. You will know when it feels right and whether what they say is BS....
Official cafe stop tester

russianbear

by russianbear

I used the sizing guide on the canyon website and it put me on a 60/XL sized bikes. Right now I ride a XXL/61 scott cr1(pre addict one) with a 130mm -17 degree stem with 5mm of spacers under it. My fit feels good right now. I am 192cm tall, cycling inseam of 91cm, saddle height at ~83cm. The aeroad head tube is shorter geometry wise than on the cr1 I believe. I contacted canyon about if my seat height is possible on a L size aeroad and they told me "yes but with the post extended to the max line". What would you say guys? Size down or go with an XL.

esfrost

by esfrost

Hey everyone!

Im kinda new on this forum, but been lurking here some time now. Being this my first comment, please bare with me, and excuse me, if my question is stupid. I've been riding track frames for the past 8 years now. I had a 55 cm frame, which was great. Right now i ride a 54 cm track frame with a 130mm, -10 thomson stem, no spacers, with Ritchey Logic II. road bars, and with a straight seatpost, had no problems riding 100+ kilometers with this setup. I'm 176 cm tall, and 70 kgs. I have pretty long arms. I'm really flexible, as i did springboard diving for 3 years, and stretching was a really big part of everyday training. Right now im gathering parts for my road bike project, so finding the right sized frame and parts is a big question. I'd like to get a very similar position on my future road bike. I know, its two different kind of bikes. I've read a lot about this topic, but theres so many opinions. I'd like to use a 130mm stem, with straight seatpost, without spacers. My main concerne is that, if i get a 54 cm frame and set it up with a 130 mm long stem + brake hoods (+60mm or more), than my reach might be too far. I'm thinking about going down one frame size, 52 cm. I know this is a very difficult topic and it depends a lot on body dimensions, arms lenght, neck lenght, hip flexibility and so on... What do you guys think? Anyone with similar height, riding a 52cm frame using long stem? Thanks in advance!

GT56

by GT56

esfrost wrote:Hey everyone!

Im kinda new on this forum, but been lurking here some time now. Being this my first comment, please bare with me, and excuse me, if my question is stupid. I've been riding track frames for the past 8 years now. I had a 55 cm frame, which was great. Right now i ride a 54 cm track frame with a 130mm, -10 thomson stem, no spacers, with Ritchey Logic II. road bars, and with a straight seatpost, had no problems riding 100+ kilometers with this setup. I'm 176 cm tall, and 70 kgs. I have pretty long arms. I'm really flexible, as i did springboard diving for 3 years, and stretching was a really big part of everyday training. Right now im gathering parts for my road bike project, so finding the right sized frame and parts is a big question. I'd like to get a very similar position on my future road bike. I know, its two different kind of bikes. I've read a lot about this topic, but theres so many opinions. I'd like to use a 130mm stem, with straight seatpost, without spacers. My main concerne is that, if i get a 54 cm frame and set it up with a 130 mm long stem + brake hoods (+60mm or more), than my reach might be too far. I'm thinking about going down one frame size, 52 cm. I know this is a very difficult topic and it depends a lot on body dimensions, arms lenght, neck lenght, hip flexibility and so on... What do you guys think? Anyone with similar height, riding a 52cm frame using long stem? Thanks in advance!

to start with, can you let us know where the contact points are of the fit that you would like to replicate ?

saddle height, saddle setback (make and type of saddle), handlebar drop and reach as in nose of saddle to centre of top of handlebar

esfrost

by esfrost

Sure, and sorry for the lack of info.

Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Saddle Height: 175mm (from the top of seatpost collar)
Saddle Setback: 0. (Thomson Elite, Straight, the saddle sits in the middle of the rails)
Handlebar: Ritchey Logic II. - 82mm reach, 142mm drop
Saddle to centre of top of handlebar: 565mm

I hope this helps.

Thanks in advance!

Boralb

by Boralb

Hi,

I ride a 56 cannondale ss evo but plan to downsize my frame to a 54.
I'm 181cm tall with a 83cm inseam. bb to saddle is 73.5cm.
My current 56 frame has a 15.5cm headtube, where the 54 size has 14cm.
I only use the 25mm supersix conical spacer under my -12deg/110mm stem(115mm actual)
To be able to simulate the drop of a 54 frame by using the same conical spacer again, i lowered the stem 1.5cm and took some pictures.
What do you think about my downsize choice?
Note:Drop will be about same, and reach will be 1.5cm closer with a 54 frame, different from the pictured 56 frameset
When looking at the pictures, i also find out that, i have to lower my seatpost about 0.5cm(last picture) :mrgreen:

JBV

by JBV

Yes, based on the last picture, your seat is obviously too high, unless you're sitting on the far back edge of the saddle in that one. It looks like more than 0.5cm.

GT56

by GT56

esfrost wrote:Sure, and sorry for the lack of info.

Saddle: Selle Italia SLR
Saddle Height: 175mm (from the top of seatpost collar)
Saddle Setback: 0. (Thomson Elite, Straight, the saddle sits in the middle of the rails)
Handlebar: Ritchey Logic II. - 82mm reach, 142mm drop
Saddle to centre of top of handlebar: 565mm

I hope this helps.

Thanks in advance!

not really

we're looking for saddle height as from the centre of the crank axle to the to of the saddle measured along the seat tube

handlebar drop as in the difference in height (measured from the floor) between to of the saddle and the top of the handlebar

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GT56

by GT56

Boralb wrote:Hi,

I ride a 56 cannondale ss evo but plan to downsize my frame to a 54.
I'm 181cm tall with a 83cm inseam. bb to saddle is 73.5cm.
My current 56 frame has a 15.5cm headtube, where the 54 size has 14cm.
I only use the 25mm supersix conical spacer under my -12deg/110mm stem(115mm actual)
To be able to simulate the drop of a 54 frame by using the same conical spacer again, i lowered the stem 1.5cm and took some pictures.
What do you think about my downsize choice?
Note:Drop will be about same, and reach will be 1.5cm closer with a 54 frame, different from the pictured 56 frameset
When looking at the pictures, i also find out that, i have to lower my seatpost about 0.5cm(last picture) :mrgreen:

it looks like you sit too high, but by more than 0,5 cm

can you verify the 73,5 bb axle to top of saddle (measured along the seat tube), it looks quite a bit more

i have a 54 with 2 cms less saddle height, but the saddle sits quite a bit closer to the top tube than yours

i am considering going to a 52