Garmin Out-in-front Mounts Ad Nauseum

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Razor

by Razor

pje0713 wrote:Bar fly 1.1 seems to be the same story as sram. Weight looks same (or maybe a touch more) according to bikeradar, it perches the garmin above the stem too.

http://m.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ac ... 7006/#next" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Only reason to buy this over sram is the gaudy white sram logo if you are a campy/shimano guy. But you can paint over that easily if you prefer the looks of the sram mount.

For me, the raceware is still the winner. Looks normal, light at below 14g, no gaudy logos, mounts garmin in line with stem, and it works...

Anyone have the Bar Fly 2.0 and know how close to the stem face plate an Edge 500 sits? From this picture, it looks close (which I like). Unlike the 1.1, the unit sits below the stem which is cool too.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-c ... ly-2-0.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HardmanKnott

by HardmanKnott

Razor wrote:Anyone have the Bar Fly 2.0 and know how close to the stem face plate an Edge 500 sits? From this picture, it looks close (which I like). Unlike the 1.1, the unit sits below the stem which is cool too.

Here's mine, looks to be approx. 3mm.

This thing is super sturdy, holds the 500 tight, and the price was right - $23.74 shipped from Ebay (US).

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Razor wrote:Anyone have the Bar Fly 2.0 and know how close to the stem face plate an Edge 500 sits? From this picture, it looks close (which I like). Unlike the 1.1, the unit sits below the stem which is cool too.

yea close is dope.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

I must say, 3T finally released the Integra Team Edition aluminum mount with Garmin adapter. It is only available in 110mm now, but I'm real pleased with it so far.

If you buy from 3T directly, they include the Garmin mount, all shipped worldwide for $195. Oddly it matches my Scott Foil Team edition black/red exactly. Very striking.

Tillquist

by Tillquist

Zigmeister wrote:I must say, 3T finally released the Integra Team Edition aluminum mount with Garmin adapter. It is only available in 110mm now, but I'm real pleased with it so far.

If you buy from 3T directly, they include the Garmin mount, all shipped worldwide for $195. Oddly it matches my Scott Foil Team edition black/red exactly. Very striking.

Do you have A picture or a link ?
See all my bike h e r e

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Pics got whacked on hosting site..sorry.
Last edited by Zigmeister on Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

This is weight weenies. Nobody is going to comment on the weight of that thing?

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

True...that chunk of carbon below the unit looks heavier than any mount out there...

grymg

by grymg

Weight is exactly the reason I didn't get it, and it looks like a walrus.

Steno

by Steno

Razor wrote:
pje0713 wrote:Anyone have the Bar Fly 2.0 and know how close to the stem face plate an Edge 500 sits?

Somewhere between 15mm and 20mm
And keeps everything very neat.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Us sprinters need something bigger than the pencil stems. Yeah, it's a bit bulky, but whatever.

There is no alternative like this that is integrated on the market. Think the barfly type mounts that try to be like SRM bother my OCD with the imbalanced appearance. Like an after thought.

silvercivic27

by silvercivic27

Cavendish, Greipel, Sagan, etc. seem to be doing OK on the pencil stems. . . Just sayin'

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Zigmeister wrote:Us sprinters need something bigger than the pencil stems. Yeah, it's a bit bulky, but whatever.

There is no alternative like this that is integrated on the market. Think the barfly type mounts that try to be like SRM bother my OCD with the imbalanced appearance. Like an after thought.

how many watts u droppin' brah

Razor

by Razor

Steno wrote:
Razor wrote:
pje0713 wrote:Anyone have the Bar Fly 2.0 and know how close to the stem face plate an Edge 500 sits?

Somewhere between 15mm and 20mm
And keeps everything very neat.

Thanks Steno. I decided to go with the Far and Near mount, it appears as though I may be able to mount the 500 almost flush with the face plate. I'll post some pics when it arrives.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Ok, so I've had 3 Barfly 1.0's when they came out. They were ok, but a very tight fit and no positive engagement or "click" in the perfect spot. Always seemed to be adjusting it ever so slightly. But the biggest thing was that the tabs of a Garmin 500 Edge broke off and were wedged into the tight fitting mount. Can't say for sure if the mount is too tight or the tabs on the head unit are too weak. In any case, Garmin charges $80 to fix it (and what can ya do at that point).

So I tried the Garmin mounts. Very nice construction and I like the finish and texture of the material best of all the other units out there and it mounts very nicely. However, when the head unit is in the mount, although it has a nice positive and not overly tight engagement, the unit itself is slightly skewed to the left. Has anyone else noticed this? I've had three units, on three different bikes, and all the same thing. I contacted Garmin yesterday and the response I got was less than satisfactory. All I wanted to do was make sure they were aware of this (I'm sure they are) and that future runs correct this slight misalignment. But they said there were no plans to fix it. Seems strange when you strive to have everything on your bike perfectly aligned then you get a computer head that is slightly misaligned. Not enough that I asked for my money back, but still... quite annoying. Friend of mine has the same unit with the exact same issue.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com