Which durable tubular tyres with classic rubber walls ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Yeah Franklin,

My next set of tyres are definitely going to be 25mm...

padde

by padde

On the side of the Milano tubular it says "LiteSkin puncture protection". Does this imply some kind of reinforced carcass, because i thought this tire had no puncture protection belt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Never heard of this "LiteSkin" puncture protection belt but yes, both Milano and Montello are outfitted with a puncture resistance belt called "Raceguard".

Schwalbe's not always very clear on this but I've never seen them explicitly say that it does not have an anti- puncture belt.

Puncture resistance is not their forte, at least not in the lab. In practice I find it to be quite O.K.

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

padde

by padde

Indeed, one is often left hungry for technical documentation :-)
The text i am referring to can be seen e.g. here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8379107@N03/6158012546/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
L1: "Active line. LiteSkin"
L2: "Puncture Protection"

I do not think the Milano tire has RaceGuard (the nylon breaker). Schwalbe explicitly states that the Durano and Ultremo tubular comes with RaceGuard, but not the "Active line" tires (Milano, Lugano, ..).

Speaking of which, I read (somewhere) that 2013 Ultremo will feature a vectran breaker.

jasonliliong

by jasonliliong

My first tubular was schwalbe milano. The rear starts to wear out less than 800kms & a got a flat which the schwalbe sealant inside has not sealed the flat. I dont like this tubular

I am now using the conti sprinter gatorskin & I am satisfy with it.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

My first tubular was schwalbe milano. The rear starts to wear out less than 800kms & a got a flat which the schwalbe sealant inside has not sealed the flat. I dont like this tubular

My current understanding of this tubular is that it does not sport any anti-puncture protection at all. Which goes a long way explaining why it is that lightweight.
Still, IME and with a couple of months of storage in a dry cellar, it's lack of anti-puncture belt is what makes it such a joy to ride to begin with and, let's face it, it's exceptional in this price range.

Bad news is, Schwalbe decided to stop manufacturing it and have it replaced with one that actually does have an anti-puncture belt. I'm stocking up as we speak...... :P

Speaking of which, I read (somewhere) that 2013 Ultremo will feature a vectran breaker.

I thought they already had that for years? They sure try hard to beat Conti at their own game, don't they? :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Denavelo

by Denavelo

I've run the Vittoria Corsa Evo SC tires on my Nemesis wheels laced to Tune hubs.

I wish they came in 25's but 23's just feel faster. I've also run FMB Roubaix tires in 25's and those things were amazingly nice, but the Corsa Evo tires felt faster with lower rolling than the FMB's.

Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Hello,

I am building a wheelset with Ambrosio Nemesis rim and Ambrosio Zenith hubs and looking for a tyre that has the classic rubber colour on walls ?

Those Vittoria Corsa's did look amazing on Team Belkin ... but they say they are not that durable for training.

Any suggestions ? Veloflex seems to have many classic looks tyres but I dont know about durability and they are priced high for a non racing day tyre.

Thanx

Please, use Search before starting a new thread

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Just to be clear, you are running tubular rims?
Nemesis are tubular, but I recall there were some clinchers made under that model name by Ambrosio as well a while back.
The Corsa tire is a clincher.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

Vittoria Corsa is tubular
Vittoria Open Corsa is a clincher.

Durable ? Maybe Vittoria Rally or continental Giro?
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Schwalbe Lugano comes with an anti-puncture belt, no personal experience though. Haven't heard much good about the Conti Giro.

sungod

by sungod

if you want the natural sidewalls, the veloflex roubaix is their toughest, but not a low cost tyre

for lower cost, conti giro...

http://www.bicycletires.com/imagesLarge/cogro3-1.jpg

...but conti tubs aren't famous for ride quality or repairability
Last edited by sungod on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

eurperg

by eurperg

I recommend Veloflex Roubaix. I have used only them and the black Arenberg version for a couple years now, no punctures.

Conti Giro and Vittoria Rally are just cheap crap...

Kupepe

by Kupepe

Well depends who is going to build the wheels actually. The clincher Nemesis can be found at only one wheelbuilder that i know. So probably it is going to be a tubular. Besides the juice repairing little punctures makes a ride much more stress-free.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

Cheaper options are Schwalbe Milano and Vittoria Rally.