Specialized OS BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

phorapples

by phorapples

I have a Venge with the carbon OSBB that I'd like to run with my Campy group and Ultra Torque crank, then later swap the group to a DA9000 group - DA crank included. Can anybody using an UT crank offer an update on performance with whatever solution they use(d) and an opinion on the best solution? It looks like people have mentioned a Specialized conversion cup, a Campy conversion kit, the Wheels Mfg. kit, and the C-Bear kit.

Does anyone know if I might encounter problems running a Campy conversion kit then switch to a Shimano conversion setup? I am thinking I would go with a Praxxis BB to run my DA crank on the OSBB frame.

likevelo

by likevelo

thks to Bjorn, just hot off the press 3 july 2013, osbb shimano bb, praxis 144g, c-bear 127g
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/specia ... ost4396330

c-bear summarized:
It is important that the bearings sit next to the crank arm, offering optimal stability.
BB shell cannot achieve 100% manufacturing perfection. Alum offer zero flex.
Whereas composite (plastic) housing will mold itself to the shape of the BB shell in time.

As purdyd rightly described :
Quote Originally Posted by purdyd
1. c-bear product that Dcorn linked to gets rid of the plastic shims and is one piece aluminum specially built for the 61mm wide 46mm diameter specialized osbb bottom bracket so that shimano cranksets can be used
http://www.c-bear.com/en/osbb-en/shiman ... arings.php

2. I think c-bear is the only one that eliminates the plastic cup and it is press fit right into the carbon shell but c-bear doesn't seem to have instructions
To install , just need to press c-bear osbb-shimano bb in with a pressfit headset tool , that is it. Cannot be simplier, no need to figure out any add-on accessories, as there are NONE.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mhester1

by mhester1

virenque wrote:got this today:

I just got part S120400005 for my Allez. I understand that I need to remove my Campy bearings. My frame already has the OSBB installed and I'm confused on what to do next. Does the outside cover/shell of the installed OSBB come off and then I insert S120400005 over the bearings? If so, how do I remove the OSBB cover/shell?

mhester1

by mhester1

virenque wrote:got this today:

I just got part S120400005 for my Allez. I understand that I need to remove my Campy bearings. My frame already has the OSBB installed and I'm confused on what to do next. Does the outside cover/shell of the installed OSBB come off and then I insert S120400005 over the bearings? If so, how do I remove the OSBB cover/shell?

likevelo

by likevelo

As far as I know, it is a lot easier to remove the bb30 bearings on your Allez then to remove the bearings on your campa crank.
Second, to have an adapter in between the bb30 bearing and your crank is not an ideal setup.
Why are you not installing a bb30 campagnolo bottom bracket. Then you keep the bearing on the crank and the the bearing is next to the crank. As far as I know, campagnolo has such a bottom bracket and c-bear.com has one. Some people have not so good experience with the first. Hope I did not mess up your plan.

mhester1

by mhester1

likevelo wrote:As far as I know, it is a lot easier to remove the bb30 bearings on your Allez then to remove the bearings on your campa crank.
Second, to have an adapter in between the bb30 bearing and your crank is not an ideal setup.
Why are you not installing a bb30 campagnolo bottom bracket. Then you keep the bearing on the crank and the the bearing is next to the crank. As far as I know, campagnolo has such a bottom bracket and c-bear.com has one. Some people have not so good experience with the first. Hope I did not mess up your plan.

The Campy Press in BB30 cups will not work on the Specialized OSBB shell from everything I've read and per Specialized. THe part I referenced is what Specialized says to use. I've seen the c-bear one ($$!!!) Wheels Manuf makes one too which is more reasonably priced ($50)and uses the Campy bearings. Considering that my crank is older I didn't mind the idea of using the Spec bearings which are essentially new. Good info on this whole thing is rather scant. And there were no instructions with the Spec part I got. I'll drop by the LBS and ask them. He said they've converted to Campy with this part quite a few times. Just thought I might get answer without making a trip.

likevelo

by likevelo

If not mistakened, Allez is a std BB30 shell. Wheel mfg is a plastic housing, no bearing?, cbear is alum housing with ceramic bearing. Diff. league. BB30 bearing in bb shell + adapter + crank is an option of course, but for how long? How stiff?.....I rather invest in good component. A $50 bb for 1000s frame and crank and who knows what else, it is one of most important element that moves your bike. Man! Don't get me wrong. I am a value hunter too. I think you will be looking for another solution sooner than you expected. Hope you get enough info to get on with your installation. Cheers!

mhester1

by mhester1

No the Allez is not std BB30. It uses Spec's stupid proprietary OSBB (Venge, Tarmac and Roubaix also use it). It's close to a BB30 but not the same. The Spec part I got is aluminum. I read about "delrin" cups and wasn't interested in those for your stated reasons. I hate that everyone has to get cute with BB's. Cervelo and their BBright or whatever, Spec and their OSBB. Sooooooo much better than BB30 I'm sure, blah. blah. LOL!

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

The Allez is BB30. Specialized calls it OSBB. But it is standard BB30. I just put the praxis in my Venge with OSBB. When in perfect and looks great. So glad to be back on Campagnolo cranks again.

mhester1

by mhester1

This is so freaking confusing. So why go with praxis on the Venge if could simply use campy press-in bb30 cups (like I use on my BMC Race Machine)? Wrench at the lbs says the BB width is funky on Spec (I think narrower)

mhester1

by mhester1

Here's the Spec page on Campy installation.
http://static.specialized.com/media/doc ... 4_revC.pdf
Since I already bought this part and my Campy UT bearings are older than the essentially new Spec bearings, I think I'll remove the Campy bearings. I guess the already installed cups will pop off easy enough.

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

Mine venge is a 2013. Spec made the OSBB for like two years. They then went back to BB30. The new 2015 have alum cups glued in to make them a BB30 this is on carbon frames only. On alum frame it's a BB30. Spec won't call it a BB30. On the Alum frame use the campy BB30 adaptor. It's not confusing just need to pull your cranks and look.

OSBB od 46 with a width of 61mm
OSBB 30 is od 42 a width of 68mm ie BB30 in carbon with cups glued in
OSBB 30 is 42mm width 68mm. Ie BB30 on alum frames.

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

Pm me. I'll give you my cell # and explain it all.