Bora 35 vs Bora + Hyperon ( or in general 35 vs 50+24 )

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bora 35 vs Bora+Hyperon

Buy the Bora 35 sell the others
19%
Keep the Bora 50 + Hyperons
52%
Buy all of them ;)
23%
Other
6%

Total votes: 31

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I am tempted for the new Bora Ultra 35, but I already have the Bora 50 and the Hyperons.

I would like to know what do you think about that,

Sell the Bora+Hyperon and buy a Bora 35 instead ?

The same can be asked to other that use Shimano or other brands, if you already have a set of 50 and a set of 24 Tubular Carbons, would you Exchange both for a set of 38x or 35s ?
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rd

by rd

Which of the two do you use more now?

If I could only afford one set - and I can't afford any of them - I'd still get the Hyperons. The Boras have no real aero credentials to speak of and I would wager the 35s are in a similar boat so I would put ride quality first in my decision making. Hyperons would clinch it on that criterion.

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

As I do mostly hilly rides, I use most often the Hyperons.

That's why I was interested on those new Bora 35s, Hyperon light but with some additional aerodynamics, even though I don't know if those extra 11m really have any benefit

Do somebody has experience with 35mm rims ?
Hucken The Fard Up !

maverick_1

by maverick_1

@SalsaLover,

No experience on a 35.

The following are definitely a poor comparison.
I'm currently riding the LW Std in 54mm, the RZR Team in 45mm, and the Ventoux in 28mm.
I have to agree that the 45mm is the most versatile on all conditions, and if I'm not mistaken the latest LW Meilenstein has a reduced depth of 48mm.

How about selling the Hyperon and keep the Bora, plus get a new pair of Bora 35mm ? :wink:

coloclimber

by coloclimber

Just get a 35 front and keep the existing wheels.
-Deacon Doctor Colorado Slim

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I think you can't buy them individually ? I have always seen them in pair on online shops
Hucken The Fard Up !

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I am in the same boat. Plan is to sell the Hyperons. I think aero advantage is likely to mildly top the small weight gain, and the slightly increase in depth will look nicer ! I am very attached to my Boras and think the Bora 50 + 35 is more versatile than hyperon + 35.

LionelB

by LionelB

Also have bora+hyperon. Not planning to sell any of them. I used to have aerozenith 35mm that I sold.

I may end up also getting the bora 35 at some point but I love the hyperons so they won't replace them.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

I am in the same boat. Plan is to sell the Hyperons. I think aero advantage is likely to mildly top the small weight gain, and the slightly increase in depth will look nicer ! I am very attached to my Boras and think the Bora 50 + 35 is more versatile than hyperon + 35.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I guess you have to ask yourself if you'd miss the Hyperons. I have two sets of Boras (dark label and standard), and a small trove of handbuilt nemesis rims on Record hubs with various cassettes. I know they're relatively heavy, but I love the look of the classic wheels on my white EPQ and have to say that overall I probably prefer the ride of the handbuilts and definitely prefer descending on the Record/Nemesis wheels over all other I have tried. But on my black C59, a low profile wheel just looks boring and I always use the Boras. Haven't tried the 35's so am looking forward to seeing them for real somewhere soon. You just can't beat the Campy CULT hubs imo. Although my Record hubs with steel bearings seem to spin smoothly forever as well. Choices.... keep 'em all.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

willy

by willy

Salsalover, 35 mm is a great rim IMO, but would keep hyperons, for looks, performance and reliability. I have boras as well, and even in the dead flatlands of Florida, sometimes opt for hyperons.
I also have the mv32t Reynolds, 32 mm, great rims, and would prefer them above all if they where campy, since, like it was posted earlier, reliability and cult performance is great. They have dt240 hubs which are not shabby though, and weigh 1040 grs., quite lighter than the 35s that are coming.
Regardless, don't sell the hyperons, they look great on ur c50, will look even better on c59 ad10 and based on your location, seem like a perfect choice.
By the way, wiggle has the 35s for around 1850 US dollars.

tommasini

by tommasini

I too have several sets of bora's - here where I live I can ride them nearly the entire spring/summer/fall - in my book these 50's are daily riders. The Cult bearings are a huge extra......in a half to full kilo breakaway effort it is such a great feeling to get them (quickly) up to speed and then the magic is felt when you realize you're holding that speed much longer than you could with other wheels. Always the #1 on coasting downhill too - and at only 165 lbs I don't have the extra advantage of my heavier mates.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

What Cal said. Mixed-depth doesn't go well with all bikes -- personally I think they don't look so nice with round tubed frames (while they often look great on curvy carbon).

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

I know this will be sound anatema in this forum :p

But after I had ackwnoledged that I had a bikeaholism problem, I had way too many bikes, parts, wheels etc etc, all them collected during many years of hobby bike buying/building/selling/trading.

I decided to reduce the herd, and to make things difficult for me, I decided not to put any new fresh money into cycling stuff. To buy anything new, I must before sell something, and I strictly forbidden me to buy anything used/second hand, only new stuff but still I have to find the best deal possible on the known universe. :)

The Colnago Master and all its components, for example, was fully financed by this "cycling fund" of sales on parts and frames, and I am plenty happy with the result.

Now for 2014 I have my eyes on a C59 AD10 with the Bora 35 wheels.

I have already bought the SR11 and build kit with my "cycling fund" and there is still some money there, I am looking forward to sell the 2 other Colnago frames I still have, the TT bike or the current Bora/Hyperon Wheels to fund it. I am into it.

That's why I am thinking what would be best, if to sell my wheels to buy the new one or just keep mine.

I contacted Mike and he told me the frame could probably only be delivered at earliest by September, so I think there is no hurry for that. I rather wait and place the order in December so the frame will be ready about April 2014.
Hucken The Fard Up !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Devon

by Devon

I'd personally get the 35s. I'm not a fan of 50mm rims for two reasons;

1. I'm a climber
2. Wind. I live in a fairly windy area and deep sections are just terrible around here.

I'd argue that 35mm rims are much more versatile and more usable in a variety of situations. I plan to start saving for a set Bora 35s