Fibre-Lyte Chainring durability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I'm considering fibre-lyte chainrings for my CAAD10 and I was curious about their durability with a heavier rider like myself. Do these suckers wear out over a short period of time and can they hold up with a 215lbs rider?

konky

by konky

I am a huge fan of fibre-Lyte rings. I am only 143 pounds (65kg) but have found them very durable. The odd broken tooth after long and heavy use does not seem to effect performance. If I were you I would contact Stephen at Fibre-Lyte to check to see if there are any weight restrictions. He is a very straight talking honest guy. He will tell you as it is. The last thing he would want is for you to buy his product and not be happy. It's not good for business.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks, I will do that, but you've had teeth break off yours?

theremery

by theremery

Carbon rings do that if you push the shifts under load. Chat with Stephen....he does good lift pins nowadays, from memory.I 2nd that he's straight talking and also very knowledgeable and realistic about lifespan etc.
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

RippedUp

by RippedUp

They're not the most durable, and the shifting quality is okay, but they're definitely the lightest set of rings you can find. I'm on my third pair in ~2 years riding.
Stephen is very helpful if you need any more info.

pritchet74

by pritchet74

I used a set of these rings for about 18 months on my road bike with Di2. The terrain where I ride is very rolling, so I shift a lot. Also, my Di2 is sequential, so I never really know when I am going to be shifting into the big ring. Needless to say that my chainrings take a LOT of abuse. I just got my 2nd 52t ring to replace the first one, but I am sticking with the original 38t that I got. When the FD is properly adjusted, the rings shift good. I think that they shift better with Di2 than with regular cabled shifting. I had a few teeth chipped and worn, which is why I got a new chainring. I have definitely not babied these things and I do not ease off the pedals when shifting to the big ring. For the sexiness & weight savings it has been money well spent.
Have you ever wondered if there was more to life, other than being really, really, ridiculously good looking?

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Thanks for the info, folks. I will contact Stephen.

Which non-carbon chainrings are close in weight and would be more durable?

konky

by konky

Yes my 2 year old reasonably high mileage rings have the odd broken or chipped teeth. But as I said it doesn't seem to effect shifting. They won't be as durable as Dura Ace or Record but I would say are just as stiff. They are stiffer than say Xtralite, which are probably the next lightest and alu. Durability I would guess is similar to Xtralite. Fibrelyte look very cool.

RudyMontana

by RudyMontana

I have a broken lift pin on my 53t. I find they shift well and all and all have been pretty happy. Was gonna order a replacement for the 53t but seems to be shifting fine at the moment. I am 165 lbs, I'd be nervous on these rings at >200.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Spoke with Stephen, he's awesome, and after providing him with info on my riding habits, he said that the rings would hold up just fine for me. Looking forward to getting these on my build.

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I only used his rings for a short time, but for the few months I used them they shifted GREAT...REALLY GREAT.

I was expecting descent...you know...OEM stuff is "usually" made to "work well together", but they shifted VERY well.

I didn't miss my campag. rings at all.

:thumbup:

P.S. It was my Recon cassette that I dumped :D

drainyoo

by drainyoo

You didn't like the Recon cassette?

mgrennie

by mgrennie

My recon cassette didn't last very long before it would skip under heavy load in the middle of the gears. Maybe 1200 mi. Not totally the cassette's fault, because I have a soft derailleur hanger, but any misalignment and I couldn't push hard while climbing.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Which version was it, aluminum or ti?

carbon2329

by carbon2329

Mine was alu..

It would never stop making noise and POOR shifting. My friends would tease me and say I brought the "pop-corn popper". :D

Switched to a Super Record Ti cassette and....perfect.

Wish the Recon worked. Its a good 100gm lighter.

Sorry, don't mean to get OT.

Fibre-Lyte rings are great. I plan on using them again, for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com