10x2min / 8x3min intervals for hillclimbs?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

devinci

by devinci

just hit some 4-5min hill repeats for your 4-5min intervals, not going all out but putting in a strong, steady effort. Try to cover the same distance each time.

As for 1x60, it would be good indeed. I just think it's mentally easier to do 2x30min. You could alternate between both.

Nothing overly hard doing a vo2max and threshold workout back to back when you have proper rest and recovery factored in.

mentok

by mentok

devinci wrote:Nothing overly hard doing a vo2max and threshold workout back to back when you have proper rest and recovery factored in.

i agree, it shouldn't be impossible, but life has a nasty habit of getting in the way of ideal recovery for me :(

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ghost234

by Ghost234

They are both effective, but you have to experiment to find what works best for you.

For years I had been doing 2x20, 4x10, 3x8, etc and saw some mild FTP gains, year on year. But this year I had enormous FTP gains by changing up my routine to much shorter intervals.

But unfortunately for me, my racing this year has had the OPPOSITE effect from my FTP gains. I seem to either flat, break chain, crash, or get sick before all my big races. Maybe next year ;)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Thanks again, devinci, much appreciated.

Ghost, totally. The 10x2 seem to really "open up the legs", for lack of a better word.

Wondering if I should go back to 3x3 in the four weeks before a key event, though, to "peak". Maybe even twice weekly in week 4, 3, 2 before, and once in the week of the event? Even though they are very very exhausting, I seem to be recovering fairly quickly from them, with just a little "hangover" the next day.

devinci

by devinci

I would not bother with peaking, tapering, etc.

Maybe do it twice a week in week 4 and 3. then once in week 2 and nothing in the week of the event. Maybe only some 30sec to keep thing sharp during that last week. You dont want to carry accumulated fatigue/stress in the week leading to your key event.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

devinci, sure, that's why I put the "peak" between quotes. Nothing scientific or super structured, just cranking it up a notch in the intensity for the last few weeks, but not immediately before the race. Will try it according to your comment, with 8x(30+30)s or so in the last week, sounds good? Thanks again.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Good news.

The running during the frozen season went well, so I decided to target a few hill runs in spring, and split my time between running and cycling. Turns out the (running) 10x(2+2)min uphill intervals on a 10-20% slope translate really well to cycling. Today I did the 3x3s for the first time this season, and found a good extra kph consistently across the repetitions, with something to spare at the end.

Guess last year, when the 3x3s were my first workout in the single-digit-minute range, I just didn't have the base for it, up in "the red". Either I would have to start (what felt) very slowly for a consistent set, or I would not manage through. Also the 3x15min seemed to have worked nicely. Will do 2 more of the 3x3s next week, then a week of tapering, and then try to set a nice PB on the season's key event.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

To finish this thread off, I did the event (6.7km / 849m vert gain / 12.6% avg) in 40:25. Strava thinks this is a VAM of 1263m with 314W. Have to say it went ok, maybe I wasn't just on the bestest of days. With just over 1000km logged this season in a very interval-biased regime (and some hill running) I have to be realistic.

Need to go back next year with a better base to break the 40min "sonic wall" separating the hobbyists from the ambitious riders.