Anyone switched from Sram to Campy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

I'm not looking to start another "which is better" fight. I'm looking for real experiences from anyone who has switched from sram to campy, for whatever reason, and if they're happy they made the jump. I'm considering moving from Rival to Chorus, however I test rode a bike with Record on it today (which I understand is functionally the same as Chorus) and was surprised by how often I needed to trim the front derailleur. On my Rival FD I can go through the entire cassette on the big ring and not need to trim at all. Even in the big-big combo, which I know is a no no. My question is, is this everyone else's experience as well or did I ride a poorly adjusted bike?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Montana

by Montana

My Campy 11 needs no trim adjustment. However, I have no experience with SRAM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OrPe

by OrPe

Montana wrote:My Campy 11 needs no trim adjustment.

+1.
Little to no trimming.

Chorus 11s.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

i went from Force to Chorus 11 on my 'italian climbing bike' last year. no trimming here too, although i rarely use the big ring in front under power (mostly descending). as for other differences, i never really gotten used to SRAMs shifting system, Shimano or Campy works for me a lot better, especially while climbing. that and the obvious bling factor made the deal
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

jrobart

by jrobart

I have both and must say that I prefer the Campy. I have a mix of Campy SR/R 11 on one of my bikes and a mix of SRAM Red/Force on the other. I'm seriously considering dumping the SRAM and going Campy on both. As the posts above indicate, no trimming is a great thing. But at the end of the day, I like the feel of the Campy shifting more.
Current: Seven 622 SLX | Seven OVRLND XX | Fondriest Carbon Magister | Yeti SB100 |
Retired: Litespeed T5G | Seven Axiom SL| Seven Mudhoney SL|S Works Crux |Fat CAAD 1 |

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

If the bike you road needs trimming in the big ring it's set up poorly

:thumbup:

kac

by kac

My wife's bike (Wilier Izoard XP) has SRAM Force. My bike (Z-3) has Record 10. So, I've ridden both and strongly prefer the shifting of the Record group: the "double tap" is just counter-intuitive to me. I also like the aesthetics of the Campagnolo group better. If/when my 10-speed fails and replacement parts become too problematic, I'll get SR-11.

KAC

tommasini

by tommasini

Ltoddokc wrote:I'm not looking to start another "which is better" fight. I'm looking for real experiences from anyone who has switched from sram to campy, for whatever reason, and if they're happy they made the jump. I'm considering moving from Rival to Chorus, however I test rode a bike with Record on it today (which I understand is functionally the same as Chorus) and was surprised by how often I needed to trim the front derailleur. On my Rival FD I can go through the entire cassette on the big ring and not need to trim at all. Even in the big-big combo, which I know is a no no. My question is, is this everyone else's experience as well or did I ride a poorly adjusted bike?

Bottom line is as suggested by others and also now myself - that's correct - you rode a poorly adjusted bike. The Campy drivetrain is intended to not need any trimming in the large chainring - including the big - big. :beerchug: And for that matter, a properly adjusted Shimano or SRAM should also behave the same. :thumbup:

coolmingli

by coolmingli

My SR11 needs trimming when I am at small + small or second smallest combo, but I don't use these gears anyway.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

After riding SRAM equipped bikes including rival for several years I switched to Campy 11 Chorus/Record this year.

The front derailleur does need to be trimmed if you are using the smaller cassette cogs when in the small chainring. As others have stated no trimming required in the big ring.

I personally much prefer the campy feel to the sram so I am glad I made the leap. It's more mechanical and feels less mushy when shifting up.

Danza

by Danza

When playing around on setup in small/small and big/big my Chorus11 bike needs trimming but I rarely do it when I ride. Not saying that my bike is setup even close to perfection though.

Also if you like the mechanical feel of SRAM over Shimano, it seems likely to me that you will like the feel of Campy. Just a matter of whether you like the shifter ergonomics.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com