Early Colnago c50 vs Colnago EPS

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boidos

by boidos

Hi there, Ive been riding an early model large lugged Colnago c50 for quite a number of years and have an opportunity to upgrade to a 2009 Colnago EPS. Is there much difference in the ride between the two? I was hoping for something a little more agile and stiffer and lighter than the c50 as I will be doing a lot of climbing this summer.
cheers!

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Hi

I too have a pre-HM C50 and a 2008 Extreme Power. The latter was built up before I obtained the C50 and I can't remember its frame-only weight, but I'm fairly certain it's notably lighter than the C50. Build variations negate any meaningful weight comparisons now.

The EP is definitely stiffer and feels like it accelerates faster, but doesn't give much away to the C50 in terms of that 'ride all day' comfort they're renowned for. The difference in 'road buzz' is negligible and I guess the weight and stiffness gains could subjectively be described as better agility.

I have no experience of the EPS, but I seem to remember a thread on here in which someone who has stating that the revisions to the front end made it more direct than the EP and stiffer again, but marginally less forgiving of poor surfaces.

Obviously I don't know your weight/build/riding style but given the climbing requirements an Extreme-C could also be worth considering.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boidos

by boidos

thanks for the write up..I had a ride on a look 595 for a few months and it was fantastic for climbing, so I was hoping to get a frame with that vibe and thought the EPS might do it as I like the colnago ride...but maybe I should just get a 595 instead!

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

Are you able to test ride the EPS? It will undoubtedly provide the 'Colnago ride', but it's difficult to speculate on how it compares to the 595 without a proper comparison. I guess there are folk out there who've extensively tested or owned both but ultimately it's up to you. I have no experience of the recent LOOK bikes myself.

giant man

by giant man

hi - had a back to back test on a C59 and EPS and both very nice, but certainly not the same. The C59 was stiffer, but both equally comfortable and smooth. EPS was a great all day frame imo.

rico

by rico

I rode and raced on an early C50 in 2004/5. Then I got in to Looks, buying first a 585 and then a 595. But I just didn't gel with them someone - they felt a bit wooden, and the ISP on the 595 beat me up quite badly on long rides - even with the soft elastomers.

A couple of years ago I bought an EPS (it's in my sig, below). For me, it's a whole world better than the 595. Just as light, just as stiff, but a much more friendly and forgiving ride. Probably the best frame I've ever been on. As far as I can think back to my 50, the EPS feels a lot more lively, and a lot less 'clunky' somehow. The 50 was almost certainly quite a bit heavier, and almost overly stiff.

It is funny having been through these various CF bike comparisons how some weenies say there's no difference between carbon frames...

All subjective, obviously

c50jim

by c50jim

I owned a C50 from 2005-2010, currently have C40s, 50th anniversary, EP and EPS. My favourite of all of those is the late C40 with B stay and without HP stays - best ride in my opinion and still stiff enough for my old powerless body. Between EP and EPS, I prefer the EP. To me, the EPS just seems harsh. However, it's still a plush ride compared to most of the racing oriented carbon bikes out there. From my own experience and your description of what you'd like to change from the C50, I think you'd love the EPS.

FrederickPunter

by FrederickPunter

I have ridden every variation in the discussion and believe that the EPS is the best ride. The C50 felt wooden to me and lacked the ride feel of the C40. The EP is a great bike, but the EPS is the only one that has the stiffness of a cutting edge frame and still have quality road feel. It also depends on the size. A size 62 EPS may feel softer than a size 50 EP. That is one man's opinion and my size/riding style/taste may be different than the rest of you.

Pantani

by Pantani

Its funny how perceptions differ. I owned a C50, Extreme Power, and EPS in sucession.

The C50 is much softer riding than the other two. I never raced it but passed it on to a friend who raced it extensively at elite level and loved it.

I didn't get on with the EP particularly - found it quite hard riding.

The EPS was much better. Not as plush as the C50 but much stiffer.

All good bikes though.
Not everything that counts can be counted. Not everything that can be counted counts.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com