Campy 11 Chain Drop

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Specifically, with 3rd party rings. I've been running q rings on Hollowgrams with SR 11 derailleurs and shifters, Record levers. It seems to happen when slightly crosschaining and the chain loses tension a bit and then falls to the small ring. Only happens when the front derailleur is trimmed. All limits are fine and I've taken it to two shops as well as a friend that is a Campy diehard. Their comments were all that its the q rings and that in particular 3rd party rings often throw the chain in front. I've never heard this so I wanted to know if anyone would corroborate it? I would like to keep my rings and I'm not sure I want to switch to Campy rings at this point in time.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TimW

by TimW

I don't run q-rings but I do run a Rotor 3D+ chainset with Rotor No-Q rings with Campy record everything else. I did get awful shifting on the front after swapping from a Campy Chainset. After setting the mech up again from scratch and reading the Campy instructions properly, got it working absolutely perfectly. I can shift up down, crosschain etc now with no problems.

I would imagine its the q-rings shape that is the culprit, if you've re-setup the mech from scratch. I've heard that shifting is not as good.

mvacolnago

by mvacolnago

I have been using this set up for a couple years now (q rings/SR11) and had the same issue until I I tried this. Angle the front d inwards at the rear of the cage, about 2mm.

KWalker

by KWalker

I actually had already done that, but will double check. Did doing so require less trim and thus less droppage?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

Devon

by Devon

Campagnolo = chain drop in my eyes (Not hating/trolling: I use Campagnolo on all my bikes and wouldn't change that for the world) it just seems to be the way it is from my experience, maybe it's just how I ride I don't know... Get a chain catcher.
Last edited by Devon on Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

Might be obvious but make sure tension is good on front der cable, i found that when it was less than perfect I got more drop. You've no doubt tried this anyway....

wingguy

by wingguy

alexh wrote:Campagnolo = chain drop in my eyes (Not hating/trolling: I use Campagnolo on all my bikes and wouldn't change that for the world) it just seems to be the way it is from my experience, maybe it's just how I ride I don't know... Get a chain catcher.

It's just sensitive to setup, IME. When I first had mine I had several chain drops - after dedicating a ride to dialling in the cable tension and mech limits as tight as possible while still shifting properly it's never happened again in many times more miles of riding.

(I realise this isn't what the OP's talking about.)

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

When your chain wears out try a KMC one. Purely anecdotal, but having used Chorus and KMC X SL chains, I seem to find the former more of an ass to make behave.

tommasini

by tommasini

KWalker wrote:Specifically, with 3rd party rings. I've been running q rings on Hollowgrams with SR 11 derailleurs and shifters, Record levers. It seems to happen when slightly crosschaining and the chain loses tension a bit and then falls to the small ring. Only happens when the front derailleur is trimmed. All limits are fine and I've taken it to two shops as well as a friend that is a Campy diehard. Their comments were all that its the q rings and that in particular 3rd party rings often throw the chain in front. I've never heard this so I wanted to know if anyone would corroborate it? I would like to keep my rings and I'm not sure I want to switch to Campy rings at this point in time.

One thing that caught my eye was the several replies that indirectly suggested to use / adjust your front derailleur so it becomes a means via rubbing the chain to keep a chain from falling from the large chainring to the smaller chainring during normal pedaling. One poster also suggested a chain watcher - why for this situation???? - yes it might be nice for when shifting to the small and the chain keeps on going..... but the OP's situation is chain falling off the large chainring. (BTW - I don't use a chain watcher myself as have NEVER dropped a chain shifting down on Campy 10 or 11 spd).

The OP also mentioned the chain does it abnormal thing during moments of less tension......less pedaling tension comes to mind.....so in that case it's also nothing to do with the rear der tension because it's applying pressure to/at the bottom of the chainrings - the fall off is happening 180 degrees from there. I'd point the blame squarely at the abnormal chainrings/crank.

In my own situation, I am sometimes in a bail out situation where I find myself in the big big with a full campy drivetrain - no problems....the chain stays put on the gears intended. :thumbup: for full Campy setups, and likewise for full Shimano and full SRAM.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com