"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

i'm surprised how much time has Cav and co. lost today. how does he plan to fight for the green without being there for the sprint finish?
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

Nice race today. Exciting to see the Europcar almost lose it on the last downhill...

I have vacationed regularly in Corsica and have to say it is one of the absolute best cycling destinations ever. Enjoyed watching the race today. Yes, morons are, as usual present. Surprising, but I think that a good number of people simply don't realise how fast a peloton moves...
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

djconnel wrote:Orica-Green Edge was fined a nominal 1500 Euros. They probably spent more on fuel for the bus this week. But scapegoating them for the decisions which followed isn't solving the problem.

The fine wasn't for the accident, but for the fact that they arrived late at the finish.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

tymon_tm wrote:i'm surprised how much time has Cav and co. lost today. how does he plan to fight for the green without being there for the sprint finish?

thats not how the green jersey works.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

if Sagan's capable to ride in the main group, while Cav cruises with the 'sprinters', he can earn extra bonus points at intermediate sprints or even fight for a stage win if odds are in his favour.. what am i missing here? :noidea:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

KWalker

by KWalker

can anyone educate me on why Froome's attack was NOT a giant and stupid waste of energy? Very cat 4 move of him to attack that far out on a non-selective part of the course to bridge up to a break with 1 rider that didn't have that much distance on a stage that would likely end in a bunch sprint.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Apparently wasn't an attack according to David Walsh, he just wanted to take his own line out of trouble and stretch the legs. I haven't seen it yet so don't know what it was like to comment myself sorry

Powerful Pete
Location: Lima, Peru and the Washington DC area - it's complicated.

by Powerful Pete

That is the way I read it. A nervous peloton before a technical descent less than 10km before the finish line. He was up front and stretched his legs to be able to have no worries on the way down.
Road bike: Cervelo R3, Campagnolo Chorus/Record mix...
Supercommuter: Jamis Renegade...
Oldie but goodie: De Rosa Professional Slx, Campagnolo C-Record...
And you can call me Macktastik Honey Pete Kicks, thank you.

KWalker

by KWalker

He was sitting second wheel I don't see how it was that much better.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

g_doraz

by g_doraz

Think Chris Froome stole my grandma's salad bowl and put it on his head.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-fran ... tos/271411
Road bike: Pinarello Dogma 60.1
TT bike: Trek Speed Concept

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4XxCZagAjk

Ghost234

by Ghost234

The descent was "technical" (it didn't look like it on the TV), and it being the first week it is pretty notorious for everyone trying stupid things. Even sitting second wheel, someone could bump him, the peloton could surge around Porte or any number of possible scenarios that could lead to a crash.

Notice how once the descent tamed down he simply sat up and got back into the group. With the amount of pressure he has to perform, staying out of trouble is priority number one at this point.

Putting in a 1-2 minute effort to avoid an event that could derail his teams entire Tour seems logical.

euan

by euan

tymon_tm wrote:if Sagan's capable to ride in the main group, while Cav cruises with the 'sprinters', he can earn extra bonus points at intermediate sprints or even fight for a stage win if odds are in his favour.. what am i missing here? :noidea:

Can't tell you if you are trolling or not here. But you know Cav didn't "cruise" anywhere? He got dropped by a sustained pace up a 8% gradient for 8km. Once he got dropped no amount of chasing would get him back on so he saved energy.

If it was such an easy stage there would have been other sprinters there at the finish. Sagan is a once in a generation type rider who can sprint almost as well as the best sprinter currently out there but can stay with the leaders on medium hilly days.

KB

by KB

euan wrote: Sagan is a once in a generation type rider who can sprint almost as well as the best sprinter currently out there but can stay with the leaders on medium hilly days.

Which is why he should dominate the Green Jersey for many years to come.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I was going to say Sagan reminds me a lot of Laurent Jalabert but maybe not... :wink:

russianbear

by russianbear

tymon_tm wrote:if Sagan's capable to ride in the main group, while Cav cruises with the 'sprinters', he can earn extra bonus points at intermediate sprints or even fight for a stage win if odds are in his favour.. what am i missing here? :noidea:

Cav was dropped, he's a pure sprinter. That's why the fight for green will be interesting. Most intermediate sprints are soaked up by the breakaway though.

By your other posts you need to read more about how the race works and ask questions about things you're not sure about instead of making silly statements.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com