2014 Trek Madone

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KWalker

by KWalker

Pretty sure Bontrager-Livestrong has solid mechanics. Reviews noted that the stock brakes were less powerful than DA. Easy to setup as well so I don't think that's the issue...
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

Happy that my new build of last year's team edition 7 series will keep me satisfied for quite a while because this year's team frame looks simply hideous with that horrid colour. The stock brakes feel quite positive even for the rear, though the pro team all have the Shimano 9010 brakes, which is very much overpriced. I'm not sure I can justify the marginal improvement over the bontrager brakes at that price range.

KWalker

by KWalker

The improvement is not marginal.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Im yet to get the 9010 brakes but it will be done in the very near future... Yes there is a noticeable improvement.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

edesigner

by edesigner

TrekUk wrote:
metanoize wrote:I wish I could dissociate LA from Trek, I dislike the brand! I ride with a couple who have the previous model. They say the caliper doesn't get any dirtier than the one on top.

Alot of people dislike trek because of LA, but you need to realise everyone was doping and tarnished the sport, he was just had the best doping team and was the highest profile rider to get caught out.

Trek as also one of the biggest players in the game and do a bloody good job at what they do, this to attracts the haters as they want something unique and dont fully appreciate how good trek are or refuse to consider them.

Either way trek is a tarnished brand right now, but the whole LA fiasco did not prevent me from actually giving one a proper go and in the end I ended up with a trek as was superior to others id tried.

EDIT - reading that back makes me sound like I work for trek :shock:

I like Trek's roots.. always guaranteed for life..etc. Having said that what they did to Greg Lemond... the manufactured apology letter..etc. Total BS. Lance had already retired and Trek could have just said No. Their gutless decision to go against the "good guy" IMO tarnished the brand's reputation.

Trek IMO needs to do the brand what Steve Jobs did to Apple.. get the founders back in the PR picture and cut any ties with any of the people involved in backing Lance's BS. Trek makes great bikes. They just need a new face on the road anyway.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

ultyguy wrote:Interesting theory and I think u have something there. As a serial brake rubber, i'd like to know if anyone can verify the claim?

Sorry, but with big tires on wide rims on low clearance frames, I get tire rub on the chainstays. I have to be careful with wheel and tire choice. No rub on the brakes as I keep the damn things pretty wide open.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

jooo

by jooo

edesigner wrote:Having said that what they did to Greg Lemond...

So sick of hearing this line!

People should read up on the whole situation a little more before jumping on that bandwagon!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Educate us jooo.

As I only know one side of it.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

TrekUk wrote:I'm yet to hear of any negatives from any of our customers,

Im sorry to be the one but can you perhaps make clear if you actually work for Trek?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Either he sells Trek's, so is biased.

Or is really poor at picking user names.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Poor username picking :D Own a Trek madone and Live in the UK, I work ina store that sells a variety of brands.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

jooo

by jooo

Tinea Pedis wrote:Educate us jooo.

As I only know one side of it.

So AFAIK prior to the 'partnership' with Trek, LeMond bikes were basically flat broke from making some terrible business decisions. If it wasn't for Trek they possibly could have been finished in 1995.

Within a few years, LeMond Cycles had been turned around rather well into a decent business.

As far as the business disagreements go, most of the complaints LeMond seemed to have with Trek are probably his own fault for not reading fine print.

I don't disagree that Trek could have handled the LeMond vs LA/doping issues an awful lot better than they did (especially in hindsight).

IMO as far public knowledge goes (ie crap I've read on the web) Trek didn't seem to do anything that deserves quite the level of hatred they get from LeMond fans.

Tillquist

by Tillquist

See all my bike h e r e

Leviathan

by Leviathan

TrekUk wrote:Poor username picking :D Own a Trek madone and Live in the UK, I work ina store that sells a variety of brands.

thanks, really dont mind if you did work for trek, just good to know what´s what, what?

aermet

by aermet

Alot of people dislike trek because of LA, but you need to realise everyone was doping and tarnished the sport, he was just had the best doping team and was the highest profile rider to get caught out.

Trek as also one of the biggest players in the game and do a bloody good job at what they do, this to attracts the haters as they want something unique and dont fully appreciate how good trek are or refuse to consider them.

Either way trek is a tarnished brand right now, but the whole LA fiasco did not prevent me from actually giving one a proper go and in the end I ended up with a trek as was superior to others id tried.

EDIT - reading that back makes me sound like I work for trek :shock:[/quote]

Sorry, the everyone did it excuse has never flown with regards to LA. Even the most avid "haters" I know, and I know quite a few, don't hold him to the fire for the drugs. He was the best cheater among other cheaters.

What sets LA apart is the the "hate" (as so many apologists like to coin) that he enacted towards others who spoke the truth.

How about:

Calling Betsy Andreau, Emma O'Reilly, et al, all of the names he has.
How about all of the people he has sued for telling the truth? (now coming back to bite him, and rightly so-very $$$$)
How about Simeoni, Bassons, Greg Anderson, Frankie Andreau,,,,,,,, and on and on and on.

So how does this all relate to Trek?
Well, they, along with Nike, Oakley, Anheiser Busch, Weisel, Ochowiz, USA cycling aka Johnson, Phil and Paul and Bob doofus, were ALL part of the lie building, myth building, truth crushing machine that facilitated the ruin of many lives and the creation of the liestrong empire.

Cudos to Nissan and Radio Shack for dropping sponsorship when they did, particularly in light of them honoring their obligations but insisting that their name be deleted from all kits.

As for Nike, Oakley, and (here it comes) TREK, well, they stuck it out until the end.

It's a legal, sanctioned, "consumer blind" supported mafia.

LA lied, sued, and appealed... all the way to the very end.

Do you really think that Trek, Nike, Oakley, and their respective management leads and CEO's were not involved in protecting the "machine" and crushing any dissenters along the way and through the years?

That is why I will never own or support any of the above mentioned businesses or individuals. My first 2 high end road bikes were Treks. Last one was in 1999. Funny coincidence?

It's been that long for me because I've been friends with former riders in that inner circle since the postal machine started the ball. Their experiences with LA and the companies mentioned were relayed to me way back when. Back when mum was still the word. When you're enough of an a**hole to enough people for long enough, it catches up to you, and well, I consider Trek part of that wrecking ball.

It's really too bad, as I do believe that Trek builds some really tip top bikes and I would love to support an American company, but that will never happen.

A little long for a Trek madone topic? Perhaps. But as soon as the "haters" moniker is dropped, it gets my blood boiling.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com