"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Bely

by Bely

My sentiments as well as poor race organizing.. Accidents happen but no need to move the finishing line up and down!
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bely

by Bely

Probably a team strategy to give Matt Goss a fighting chance! Too bad even a bus leading him out couldn't help him!
Current
Festka Scala | Pego Respo | English V3 | Colnago EPS Erik Zabel | Colnago V4rs

Incoming

Kermithimself

by Kermithimself

Brian Nygaard, communications manager of Orica-GreenEdge, gave an interview to Danish TV 5 minutes ago. They had arrived late to the finishing line, and were told to go through the finishing straight to park their bus. So if that's the story, it's hard to say whose fault it really is. Of course GreenEdge could have arrived on time, but they could also have been told not to drive down that road.

Either way, the commentator at the same tv station said something quite debatable: What would have happened if the riders had not had radio? If the bus had been parked, and not been moved, they could have created something quite spectacular.
------------
If you dream of being famous - think of what birds do to statues.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/kermithimself/
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdCPaXwpeXT_LpuEF0REjqw
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/gotlegscycling/

andyhunter

by andyhunter

Its quite clear not all riders have a radio, not all riders speak the same if not many languages what does the organisers and commissaires expect will have when they can't give clear final instructions, certain riders sprinting for the moved finish and others getting ready for original finish and riders just not having a *f##k* clue. To think the commissaires undergo tests and training for different grades, end up clueless.

djconnel

by djconnel

The old school solution would have been to neutralize the riders @ 10 km out until the bus could have been moved, then restarted the pack from there.

Interesting Cavendish embraces the hydraulic SRAM Red brakes, UCI approved just in time, then avoids going down in the crash. Of course a lot of riders avoided going down in the crash, and most of those crashing couldn't have avoided it, but I doubt Cav is regretting his decision.

I remember a puzzle of a truck needs to get under a bridge and is 1 inch too tall to make it, so what to do? The canonical solution is to partially deflate the tires. Wouldn't have worked in this case: OGE had actually displaced the structure considerably upward.

I'm not blaming anyone for this: finish lines are barely controlled chaos. Some people made hurried decisions, to let the bus through, and to drive the bus through, without considering every factor. Shit happens.

gravity

by gravity

Yeah I've never liked Orica GreendEdge since Gerrans won Milan-SanRemo in so unfashionable way last year. This incident just stir up the fire haha. But yeah I think it isn't fully their fault if the bus can't pass the head barrier. This is just making them a such an easy target.

djconnel

by djconnel

The decision to move the finish to 3 km to go, however: what were they thinking? That was simply insane.

Sure, they have chip timers there (which the EuroSport English announcers didn't realize) for the time gap determination, but it was in the middle of a traffic circle: it would have been total carnage. Not to mention the riders didn't prepare for that approach. It would have been ridiculous.

That was the biggest foobar on this stage.

KWalker

by KWalker

OK so can we NOT debate Gerran's MSR win again for the next few pages.

Anyone have a picture of Cav's bike with the hydraullic brakes.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

ultyguy

by ultyguy

And we thought doping was the only potential for bad publicity in cycling :-D

ave

by ave

Indeed, that 3km banner was shown on TV, and it was in a curve...

The 3km banner was somewhere in this roundabout. They were coming from South going North-West

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

so many lols

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ozzie Ozzie oi oi! Face palm.

I think the kangaroo is face palming too.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Ps great sprint from Millar. I actually think he was 7th once in Paris.

euan

by euan

The bus did turn up late. But it also missed the deviation point and carried on towards the finish line. Then a steward told them to keep going. Then the driver took the bus under a low hanging obstruction and stopped.

Its similar to all the cases of truck drivers getting their trucks stuck under bridges "the Satnav told me to go under the bridge". Doesn't excuse them from actually making sure they can take the vehicle that way.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Itv reporting that the thing was movable up and down but they had already lowered for the finish.

Whatever the explanation, what's do e is done.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com