HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:56 pm 

Broke front derailleur piece that holds the 2 sides of the cage assembly together. Not a single one for sale at any online store or on eBay. Have QS levers and 10 speed drivetrain. I need a braze on and now looking for a Chorus version. Does anyone know how difficult it is to remove the cage assembly from one one and add to the Record arms? This would be my only alternative if I cannot find a braze on Chorus which seems unlikely too. Any help with a potential alternative to any of these choices would be greatly appreciate. Hate to buy a new 11s gruppo (ouch) when this QS was dream to ride with.

Did not realize one plastic piece could cause the dominoes to start falling.

Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:56 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:03 am 

http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.php ... ='0397-82'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:38 am 

Thanks for the response mvacolnago but that item has been sold out for a year. I check this one out last year when I bought the one that is now broke.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:08 am 

Hey Gazzerk,

Its hard to find those replacement parts. Lucky for you I have a brand new carbon record 10s cage for you if you want.

send me a PM for details if your interested. I can give you a good price.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:10 pm 

Hi Ferrarista,

I'm interested but unfortunately I am new to the forum and cannot PM you, assuming I need to have a few posts under my belt before moderators will allow.

With regard to those cages. I ask my LBS (auth. campy service ctr) if I could do this myself and he said that it would be easy to take off but extremely (almost impossible) hard to wind up that spring. I'm left with having to send off to be repaired (about 2 weeks) and mucho deniro if I just get the cage assembly alone. So, if this is the case a cage, probably isn't my optimum choice but might be my ONLY choice. So if I can get in touch with you I am all ears.

Do you or any other member know what the implications would be to using a Record Titanium (non-QS) with the QS/Ultra levers? Seeing a few of these popup on eBay. Probably just a travel issue on the left lever, right?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:35 pm 

I just sent you a Pm with my email.

Your LBS is wrong. I've swapped so many front derailleur cages. very easy to do and no its not impossible to wind up the spring. easily done actually with a small pliers.

From what I know is that the older derailleur have a different travel from the newer QS. I'm sure it would work , but not the best. To have the best operation with Qs shifters is to stick with Qs derailleur.

I'm sure some people run the older derailleur with Qs shifters and will tell you it runs fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:38 pm 

I haven't checked their inventory, but Branford Bikes in Seattle specializes in carrying Campagnolo parts of all types. They've stocked what I've needed to keep my 2006 Record 10-speed running.

KAC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:03 pm 
Administrator

The spring does not come unwound just moving the cage assembly. It is just one bolt and takes all of about 2 minutes to do if your chain is removed and your taking your time.

Search Ebay and they are there. Just buy a derailleur and change out the part. Or put a wanted ad here and I would think someone has one.

-First one over the cliff wins!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:38 pm 

Thanks y'all for sharing your knowledge. Wow, this is good news. But it is a bit confusing. I did not believe the guy at the LBS even though he is the go-to guy for anything Campy, so I called Campagnolo HQ and talked with a tech last week. He confirmed that it is simple to remove but not for the faint-hearted putting back on. So, I am interested in knowing how to do this myself since my legs are atrophy-ing from not being on my bike. Any video tutorials online that might help me make sure I don't screw up? I do know that any Campy 10 speed cage is interchangeable.

KAC--thanks for your input too. Branford is my go-to place especially for keeping up with my 1982 gruppo but alas they are dry as a bone as far as QS derailleurs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:56 pm 
Tubbie Guru

Hi,

Quote:
I'm sure some people run the older derailleur with Qs shifters and will tell you it runs fine

Like 99% of the total gain of using a QS setup. It's the LH QS that brings the bulk of the change, the FD has just a minor revision that has little to no importance.

http://www.velo-motion.com/Race-Components/Front-Derailleurs/Campagnolo-RECORD-QS-STD-CT-9s-10s-front-derailleur::5.html

Ciao, ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:07 pm 
Administrator

No video but look at 4.4 on the attached link. Remove the cable from the pinch bolt. See the small allen bolt right by the pinch bolt in between the two limit screws? You remove that and the whole assembly slides right off pulling towards the back of the bike. No need to remove anything if you take out the bolt that holds the cage together since you can then slip the removed cage slipping the chain thru the now opened cage. The other arm floats on a pin and that single bolt holds the whole assembly. Don't even touch the limit screws so when you slip the replacement on your front derailleur limit screws are set correctly.

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... _11_12.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

-First one over the cliff wins!

Posted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:07 pm 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:54 pm 

Thanks Campy fans for all your help! Purchased a NIB Chorus QS so I can at least get back to riding. If something else happens to my 10 speed setup I will cross that bridge when I come to it by visiting WW for advice. Happy riding.