Trek 1.7

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

kamil1891

by kamil1891

573 wrote:Yeah I get that. I think taking this under UCI will give me a certain perverse pleasure though. I can also swap all of the parts onto a different frameset at some point in the future.

More importantly - my wife still sees the same bike... Image

hahahahaha :D that's a good point! and if you like the frame and it fits you then it's no point of replacing it :) I'm aiming to do similar thing with my Canyon Roadlite, which is relatively cheap bike but rides nice and I like it :)

WileEcoyote

by WileEcoyote

I like the concept, but sub 15 pounds seems a big ask unless you ditch that wheelset and go with a light set of tubulars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 573

I'm fairly confident that won't be necessary...

Maybe I'll be wrong - we'll see. :D

by 573

My 6KBikes seatpost finally turned up. It weighed in exactly at the 112g it was advertised at. This also enabled me to fit the SLR Tekno saddle. The post and saddle swap dropped me 140g.

I also swapped the 105 chain for a KMC X10SL.

Just over 1kg to go...

paulm2322

by paulm2322

More importantly - my wife still sees the same bike...

Haha, I know what you mean!!!!

Well done with your bike, you're doing a great job. I love Trek bikes! :beerchug:
You can't 'out train' a bad diet : )

by 573

Ha, thanks.

Recently removed the Cateye wireless computer, so the wheel magnet and fork mounted pick-up could go and moved to a Garmin. Swapped the tubes for lighter ones and removed non-essential bolts for unused seat-tube cage and mudguards and replaced with nylon ones. Swapped the down-tube cage bolts for Ti ones. Weight is now 7750g.

Planning to get some 3T Rotundo Ltds to drop some more easy weight and also to hopefully add some comfort for hands and arms from reduced road buzz. I was going to add a 2012/2013 SRAM Red Exogram with some lighter (Praxis?) rings but I'm wary of adding parts that I can't transfer to another bike though. Next frame will probably be a Cannondale Evo so a crank wouldn't be transferable due to incompatibility with BBs.

by 573

have been getting quite a few rear punctures recently, looks like the rear Mavic tyre is reaching the end of its life. They've been really good tyres actually and I considered just fitting them again. Mavic seemed to have changed them for 2013 and i don't like the look of the new treaded ones. After loads of reading about options and weighing up lightweight v ride v puncture resistance v bling etc I've decided to give open-tubulars a go. Apparently with latex tubes you get almost the feel and ride of a tubular without the issues of needing to glue them to your wheels and having to carry spare tyres / a support car.

Went with Veloflex Corsa 23s as they have a black wall and are massively subtle. They're 195g too. Latex tubes are Vredestein Race, they're 45g so some nice weight savings there.

Had an unexpected weight saving on Friday. I was motoring along on the last 1 mile of a ride returning home at about 35mph when suddenly, with a loud crack I was falling off the back of the bike. I managed to stay on and pulled over to find one of the bolts on the 6kcycles seat-post had snapped. Luckily the saddle dropped to the side but didn't drop on the floor so wasn't damaged. The bolts actually look very thin - I'm not sure I'll ever trust them again - may need to look for another post.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

glad you are alright. I've had seat post bolts snap on me, so i can relate. have you called 6K yet? do you know if this has happened with any of their other seatposts? What other brands are you looking at?

by 573

Cheers. I've dropped them a message - waiting to hear back. I've requested info on what spec the bolts are. They don't look to be hi-tensile or anything exotic.

by 573

6K have responded quickly and professionally. They've offered to replace the bolts and say that mine isn't the only incident of this nature. may be worth other owners of 6k cycles swapping the bolts for stronger ones to pre-empt a failure?

I think I'll fit hi-tensile ones in their place.

by 573

...or I might even fit a different cradle, yokes and bolts as they're the less impressive parts of the 6kcycles post. The post itself seems very good though.

by 573

£19 Kalloy UNO 7 arrived from China.

5 mins later, with the acetone...

Swapped the bolts for titanium and fitted to the bike.

Fitted new hi-tensile bolts to the seat post and re-fitted it and the Selle Italia Tekno. Then gave it a scrub. Took a pic even though it has mis-matched tyres at the moment. Although it offends my OCD, the front Mavic tyre is still in really good condition so I'll get some more miles out of it before fitting the Veloflex Corsa to the front.

New weight with stem, bolts tuning I did last week and one tube swapped for latex and one tyre for swapped to the Veloflex Corsa, 7.69kg

Will be getting a bit heavier soon before it gets lighter again, as I don't trust the seat-post any more. Whichever post I fit will unfortunately be heavier and I'll also be fitting my new saddle that arrived today, which will also add 45g or so.

mlchang

by mlchang

This is a great project!

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

Very pretty bike :thumbup: :thumbup:

by 573

Thanks!

Have recently had a bit of a re-think about my fit on the bike, and prompted by the bolt failure of the 6k seatpost I decided to add some more setback and change my position. After lots of deliberation over which combination of post and saddle to go for I settled on a 3T Dorico Ltd and a Fizik Arione R1. Neither are at the pointy end of weight weenie parts, but both are dependable, robust parts that should serve me well. Excuse the crappy iPhone pics:

New set up looks a bit more 'pro'. :wink:

I went out to test ride and to adjust saddle / post height etc. Got it dialled in quite quickly and rather than doing the quick 5 mile loop I'd planned carried on and rode up one of my local hills in the South Downs. I love the new set up and the bike's now easily the best it's been. It's added 100g, but the comfort and my position has improved so much. I'm miles more powerful and my climbing has suddenly improved loads as I can use my quads much more. Really chuffed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com