Riding economically and pacing?

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jockster

by jockster

I've been riding with my power meter for more than a month now and find it incredible hard to keep a somewhat steady output when doing longer intervals (threshold), even on my trainer.
The average power for my intervals usually ends up within +/- 10% of what I planned, but when I checkout my data afterwards, my power curve is one giant sawtooth with serious time spent far above my intended power.

On the bike I try to pace myself with the 3s avg. power use 30s+lap avg. power to see a "trend" of how I am doing.

But how do you learn to ride economically to avoid the sawtooths in power output? Higher cadence? Mashing? Pedal-hold-pedal?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

What PM are you using?

What head unit?

What trainer?

What interval length?

etc.

We need that info first mate.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

:idea: Could be due to a less than perfectly round pedaling action which applies a perfectly constant force throughout the entire pedal revolution. +-10% seems like a lot of variance, but it would be incredibly difficult to maintain, say, a 300 + watt interval within 5 watts. Somewhere in between seems acceptable.

jockster

by jockster

Tinea Pedis wrote:What PM are you using?
What head unit?
What trainer?
What interval length?

Crank based power meter (Power2Max) with a Garmin head unit. Trainer is an Elite magnet based one. Intervals usually 2x20 or 1x40 done outside. I don't think that any of the gear is faulty and that the problem instead lies within my technique.

bricky21 wrote::idea: Could be due to a less than perfectly round pedaling action which applies a perfectly constant force throughout the entire pedal revolution. +-10% seems like a lot of variance, but it would be incredibly difficult to maintain, say, a 300 + watt interval within 5 watts. Somewhere in between seems acceptable.

I am far from the smoothest rider, but I dont think the spikes are due to my pedal stroke. I often ride at FTP on the flat, just to look down at the Garmin a moment later with 3s power spiking 50% above FTP.

How tight wattage ranges should you be able to keep within on a flat road for somewhat normal conditions (no traffic, little wind and no sudden hors categorie climbs)?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

It's the same on road as the trainer?

I use 3sec power for my pacing/training/pretty much everything. 30sec is too long.

Able to post a screen shot of a typical session? Road and trainer.

jockster

by jockster

Hi again,

I'll try to sort out some graphs and post!

I thought about the possibility of my FTP being too low, as whenever I am fatigued after a long ride or applying force enough to ride within what is now Z5, I find it so much easier to keep a steady power. Doing 2x20 intervals at 95-100% of FTP shouldn't feel easy, right?

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

z5 is Vo2 max. So yes, sounds like FTP is too low for starters.

When was the last full-noise 20 minute test?

Rick

by Rick

My power graphs also look spikey. I just go by 3-sec ave, power readout and also have "lap power" displayed.
If you zoom in to a short interval it will look less spikey, but still seems a lot more variable than it feels while doing it.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Here is a shot of a 20 minute interval of mine (on my Lemond trainer) this week

if yours looks like this, I think you've nothing to worry about.

rijndael

by rijndael

FWIW: When riding on a trainer with power, if I try to maintain a set power - it's more variable than I'd like. If I try to maintain a cadence, things smooth out more.

jockster

by jockster

Tinea Pedis wrote:Here is a shot of a 20 minute interval of mine (on my Lemond trainer) this week

if yours looks like this, I think you've nothing to worry about.

Thank you!

I did a 2x20 yesterday on the trainer after increasing my FTP about 10% and increased the sampling rate of my Garmin (which somehow got reset to a low value in an update) and now my files look much smoother again!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

1 sec sampling is what you need to have it on. Not smart recording.

And include zeros.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com