2013 Trek Madone Five Series Project

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

bikericer

by bikericer

We have seen a handful on the Bontys come through our shop and they seem like a nicely made, very solid wheels. Personally I did not like my SLRs from Mavic. The braking track was too noisy even with all the little tricks but the new braking surface and pads are supposed to be nice. IMO: go bont

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Ive put a few hundered miles on the mavics and they do screech from time to time, on a big decent they would be an earful.

We had a few Bonty D3s through the shop and one of the lads rides them and rates them.

The Bonty would give the ideal one wheelset setup but wouldnt brake nowhere near as good as mavics.

The Mavic R-sys setup would be the more expensive option having two wheelsets but I do like the braking surface.

Zipps have been considered for sure.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

Zipp is so mainstream...then again so is Trek. Personally I'm not someone who likes the same stuff everyone else has. When you buy top of the line equipment it is all good, unless you're Team Sky looking for the marginal gains.

(Speaking from my personal opinion only) On another note I would never get carbon clinchers for climbing. I do not trust the resin in carbon rims coming down a major decent where the brakes will most likely be used. Maybe you go brakeless down the hills, who knows. Also, seeing that you work at a shop, you could get a solid pair of aluminum clinchers, to use for climbing, for far less than the Bonty/Zipps and they would weigh a considerable amount less.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

wpccrunner wrote:Zipp is so mainstream...then again so is Trek. Personally I'm not someone who likes the same stuff everyone else has. When you buy top of the line equipment it is all good, unless you're Team Sky looking for the marginal gains.

(Speaking from my personal opinion only) On another note I would never get carbon clinchers for climbing. I do not trust the resin in carbon rims coming down a major decent where the brakes will most likely be used. Maybe you go brakeless down the hills, who knows. Also, seeing that you work at a shop, you could get a solid pair of aluminum clinchers, to use for climbing, for far less than the Bonty/Zipps and they would weigh a considerable amount less.

Very good comments there and I have to agree with everything you have said.

The reason ive considered mavics is the reliability of the alu rim. and the Bonty is because its a one wheel best of both worlds package.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Ive ordered titanium QRs, the mavic ones weigh in at FR 53g and rear 56g, Titanium ones are 43g a set, thats a weight saving of 66g for not much money. im not heavy rider either so clamping force when sprinting wont be an issue.

Still debating wheels, I would prefer Aeolus D3 but I need to curb the spending on the bike, totalled it up the other night and it came just shy over £6000 as it stands.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Colonia

by Colonia

jmilliron wrote:If you're taking recommendations, I'd remove the Cosmic decals and rotate the bars down. Hoods should probably be closer to flat. Give it a try.

With an angled stem, the hoods are usually set to match the stem angle. They look a little high, but better so than flat.

Also, that is the shortest looking 110 mm stem I have ever seen.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Colonia wrote:With an angled stem, the hoods are usually set to match the stem angle

nope.

Stoo

by Stoo

Top of the bars level to ground or ever so slightly down. Hoods level to ground.
'18 Giant Trinity Pro TT - DA9070 - QuarQ DZero - HED Jet 9+/JET+ Disc3
'18 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 - R8000 - QuarQ DZero - SLR1
'16 Genesis Equilibrium - U6800 - FSA SRM - WH6800
'13 Giant Trinity Composite - U6870 - QuarQ DZero

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

I pointed them down slightly and each time within 15miles I was suffering pins and needles in the tips of my fingers, only happens when angle bars down slightly.

Whats peeps views between mavic r-sys and aeolus d3 vs keeping cosmic sle? based where I ride in a roughly 30mile ride im covering 2000ft of climbing for a rough example.
Last edited by TrekUk on Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by 573

I love my R-Sys SLRs. You're welcome to give them a try when I'm next up in Manchester if you like.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Appreciate the offer mate! By any chance have you had the wheels on the scales with skewers, tubes and tyres fitted?
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

Colonia

by Colonia

nathanong87 wrote:
Colonia wrote:With an angled stem, the hoods are usually set to match the stem angle

nope.

Rather than get technical with someone who seems to have no interest, I'll just leave you with this:
Campy:

http://www.colnago.com/m10s/"

Or Shimano levers, if you prefer:

http://www.cannondale.com/deu/2013/bike ... oad/caad10"

by 573

TrekUk wrote:Appreciate the offer mate! By any chance have you had the wheels on the scales with skewers, tubes and tyres fitted?

I might have done - will look through my notes! They're lighter now though as I have the Veloflex Open Corsas, Vredestein latex tubes and Planet-X skewers.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Ok ta! I have just fitted some titanium skewers that are 43g, rather than the mavic ones that were 126g roughly. Clamping force is acceptable to.

I also run some decent tyres at 190g each and Bonty x-lite tubes at about 75g per tube.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Been abit geeky tonight, I've invested in some digital scales, accurate to 0.1g and can weigh up to 1000g

Secondly i've been comparing claimed weights between the SLE im currently running to the R-SYS wheels i'm considering, here is how it stacks up...

Mavic SLE

WHEELSET - 1620g
TYRES - 190g X 2 = 380g
TUBES - 65g X2 = 130g
SKEWERS - 44g

Total - 2174g

Mavic R-SYS

WHEELSET - 1295g
TYRES - 190g X 2 = 380g
TUBES - 65g X2 = 130g
SKEWERS - 44G

Total - 1849g

Saving of 325g Not far off a pound, wheel is far more suited to where im riding and the style of riding I do.
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013