How to account for non-cycling physical work (construction)

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

climberevan

by climberevan

I've returned to serious racing this year (P/1/2) after a 13 year hiatus, and am rapidly learning that training has changed dramatically.

Now that I'm doing things much more by the numbers (power, TSS, etc) I am having a hard time figuring out how to account for the demands that my work (construction) places on my body. I'm older as well (37), so it's not as easy to just keep beating myself up every day. Goldencheetah gives me a TSB number, but it totally ignores the fact that I may have spent 6 hours that day lifting heavy things above my head, or crawling around on my knees, or carrying stuff up and down 3 flights of stairs. In my particular case I fear it may be less useful than for those for whom training is the vast majority of their physical effort.

So, does anyone have suggestions for how I can take non-cycling exertions into account? It's frustrating when GC tells me my TSB is positive, but intervals are still harder than they should be. In the past I just did everything by feel, which worked well enough, but in this age of mucho data, it seems inadequate.

FWIW, I'm doing ok in races (mid-field in most, including at the Mt Hood Classic stage race last weekend), but I need to up my game if I'm going to get into the top 10. I've only really been training for 6 months since an ACL reconstruction, so perhaps patience is in order, as well.

TIA.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

edesigner

by edesigner

Patience is key.

My buddy works on his feet and does OK.. he treats himself to massages to alleviate the fatigue.

Don't get data crazy especially with your job. You have to have realistic expectations and just have fun. It seems like you are doing great considering.

Overall I think just making sure you get enough rest and targeted training..no junk miles and things will work themselves out.

bricky21

by bricky21

Be patient, be more specific, and get more rest.

It will take you longer to reach your fitness goals than someone who has the benefit of not physically exerting themselves to pay the bills. You're going to have plenty of days along the way where it makes more sense not to train than to do some half assed effort.

If your racing criteriums than do only criterium specific training. Set specific goals for each ride and ride only long enough to accomplish those goals. Iow's one doesn't need to ride for 2hr.s to do 2x20's. Any unproductive time on the bike will do more harm than good in your circumstance.