Decent 26 inch 100mm XC fork options

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

hjb1000

by hjb1000

I've got a Scott Scale alloy frameset 26 inch and I want to build it up with a good quality 100mm XC style fork. I'm about 75kg's and will be using it single track and bike packing.
The frame is 1 1/8 steerer, NOT tapered.

So what are my options in 2013 for the seemingly defunct 26 inch fork?
-Fox Float 32
-Rock Shox SID RLT RCT3 etc
-DT Swiss XRM
-Magura Durin style

From the list above I most like the DT Swiss XRM because it's reasonably light, looks good and is unique rather than a 'boring' SID. People either love or hate DT Swiss forks. I'd service them myself and my understanding is their internals aren't too complex, although spares would need to be bought online rather than from the LBS.

And what about QR vs 15mm thru axle? Am I shooting myself in the foot by purchasing a QR fork given the future is heading towards thru axle? In any event it is very difficult to actually find a 1 1/8 steerer with thru axle in 26 inch anyway...
The XRM fork also comes in a tapered 15mm thru axle version so I had a crazy idea that I could purchase a 15mm thru Lower at a later date and swap them over, am I mad?

Any ideas would be most appreciated, thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Omiar

by Omiar

QR is good enough. I also wouldn't invest heavily in 26" parts, at least not at the moment. The prices will come more down in 2-3 years and then parts will be available for bargain.
Last edited by Omiar on Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

Formula Thirty3?

IIRC comes in a choice of tapered and straight, and 9mm and 15mm.

Andy

miceden

by miceden

Although the Float and SID are very good forks i'd probably opt for the XLM's as well... one thing about the Durins though is that you have to service them via Magura dealers, for the life of me I cannot find spares to self-service, I also find them quite flexy compared to the others you've listed.

If you want something a little different looking have you considered German:A, www.german-a.de, or a Lefty? There is essentially no real difference between 26in and 29in leftys, its just a matter of internal spacers being added/removed... so if you ever want to go up to 27.5 or 29in wheels you're not going to need a new fork.

TheRookie

by TheRookie

Manitou R7's are getting some good reviews as well....
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956