2x10 104 bcd chainring options

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Got rid of my XX crankset and i am now looking for some decent chainrings to mount on my new Shimano SLX chainset.

I do not care to much about weight, my main concern is durability and shifting quality. Also, they have to be avaiable in a 36 teeth version. Any recommendations?

I have looked at the TA options but as far as i can see, they do not make any specific 2x10 chainring options. I'm not really sure it's advisable to run a middle chainring as the outboard one being that it doesn't have the pin to catch the chain in case of a outwards drop.

/Emil
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

Getter

by Getter

The stock SLX ring shifts pretty good. I have an SLX crank with an XT front derailleur...and the shifting is fast and light.

I have a 36T Blackspire ring I have yet to mount. I haven't put it on because the stock SLX shifts so well.

This is what I got.
http://www.blackspire.com/SuperPro-Chainrings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The aluminum B-spire ring is actually heavier (thicker) than the stamped steel SLX ring.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dilberto88

by Dilberto88

You traded DOWN from SRAM XX???

Kastrup

by Kastrup

Yes i did. Got fed up with a BCD which doesn't allow you to choose pretty much freely between chainring sizes and with the XX unit i would never be able to try out 1x10 as i couldn't get a chainring small enough with the 120 bcd.
The weight difference doesn't bother me at all. There are many more places i could easily save those grams.

/Emil
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NathanED

by NathanED

Try Middleburn from the UK . They put on a special coating for hard wearing chain rings and do pretty much and ring size and any hole configuration you can think of . http://www.middleburn.co.uk/chainrings_4arm.php