Carbon Clinchers Pressure limits

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

elviento

by elviento

No need to overbuild the rims to such degrees. That's all.

Same reason why they don't (normally) make a 60T chain ring.
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

There is one company that has pictures of a clincher carbon rim that exploded when it reached 350psi [Reynolds?]. I would think that would not be the max rated load, but at least you would have a general idea what the failure load would be. I wondered what product they used [tire] that would be stronger than 350psi [since the rim was the weakest link].

I would love to have a job that would just test the product till it broke.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

petepeterson wrote:Let me preface the following by saying I don't mean to sound snobby but it seems strange to me that you are riding lightweights/enves and concerned with ride quality and 5 psi here or there why are you running continental tires? Give veloflex/vittoria/etc and latex tubes a try!

Lightweight says never to run latex tubes...because of expansion due to heat from braking(?). but in general, there's more heat buildup with latex than butyl tubes i suppose. not sure about Enve wheels.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

airwise

by airwise

Latex and the Eclipse inner tubes are unsuitable for most carbon clinchers - another reason to stick with aluminium (weight savings and ride quality).

petepeterson

by petepeterson

I (touch wood) have not had a problem with latex tubes on carbon clinchers but I live in Canada with the polar bears.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Reynolds Attack Carbon Clinchers with Specialized 23c Espoir Tires
- 200 lb. and I usually fill them to 110psi

Waldo
in the industry

by Waldo

Butcher wrote:There is one company that has pictures of a clincher carbon rim that exploded when it reached 350psi [Reynolds?]. I would think that would not be the max rated load, but at least you would have a general idea what the failure load would be. I wondered what product they used [tire] that would be stronger than 350psi [since the rim was the weakest link].

I would love to have a job that would just test the product till it broke.

We use a variety of tires, but the ones we use for testing to failure are Fortezza Tri Comps. Typically they withstand over 375 PSI before the Kevlar bead separates from the tire casing. The maximum we've seen was approximately 415 PSI; the tire failed and blew off the rim while the rim remained intact. Occasionally we'll see some slight delamination when the tire fails at these pressures, but no complete sidewall separations.

We have other standards that use more reasonable pressure limits, but testing to failure of some system component is where the learning happens, and it's way more fun. :lol:
ENVE contract engineer | Former Zipp test engineer