Road shoe shims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digitalnorbs

by digitalnorbs

Guys, I made some but still not the best, does any one might have one or two willing to sell. Other wise I have to go back to the drawing board, thx

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

you can buy them - http://www.bikefit.com/products.php. Not the least expensive but ready to roll. You most likely can check yourself when pedaling (use construction type laser) to find out what you need. I was checked pro and have two Look cleat wedges under each foot. Felt awkward at first but for sure better pedaling and more power. Could be placebo too :D
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I've used LeMond's LeWedges for years now, they last & work great...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345259429.995958.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345259448.519069.jpg

Horze

by Horze

You can achieve the desired effect(s) of the shim by readjusting the position of the cleat on the shoe.
7x Forum Racing Ban Champion.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

The LeWedges are tapered...thick on one side & thin on the other so you can keep this cleat position you want but allow for supination or pronation in the foot.

Devon

by Devon

Can you not just use regular washers?

spud

by spud

you could use washers, but you'd be asking for trouble with squeaking, IMHO

Devon

by Devon

spud wrote:you could use washers, but you'd be asking for trouble with squeaking, IMHO

There are many companies out there that produce rubber washers and o-rings. May be worth a look to save hassle and/or money.

LouisN

by LouisN

I use cut to measure plastic yogurt covers.

Louis :)

carbon2329

by carbon2329

I forget the name of the shims (they are the ones in the picture above, so...LeMond's LeWedges), but I have been using them for years as well and they work well.

My concern about using washers would be that a portion of cleat would not be supported (touching) anything underneath it next to the washer...if that makes sense. So there would be a "wedge of empty space" under the cleat between the shoe sole.

BUT...with the above shims (or any offical shim), the cleat is in complete contact or "supported".

In regards to cost:
-those yellow LeMond's LeWedges are $2-$3 dollars (in my area, at least). So, if you use one or two on each cleat (depending on your needs) you are only spending about $3-$12 for an important fit component.
And they last almost forever.

In comparison to even a very INEXPENSIVE bike, the cost for a quality and accurate shim is a steal.

For what it's worth...my .02 cents

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

I bought a packet of 8 road wedges, including bolts and washers for about 20 quid. That's enough (for me) to do two pairs of shoes. Not really much when the shoes were (at retail) well north of 200 quid a pair. I'll be buying some more to do my MTB shoes later in the year.