Have we seen a 35 mm OEM carbon rim appear lately ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

We've seem this type of profile appear from many major manufacturers:
Shimano C35
Bontrager Aeolus D3
HED Stinger 3 very close at 33 mm X 25 mm wide
For example,

But I haven't seen any OEM manufacturer come out with a 35 mm profile.
I'd like to find this profile, as the U16 cat. here have to run with a 35mm maximum profile rims.
Anybody found something ?

Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

I don't know about 35mm, but Newsonsportec sells a 33mm rim in both tubular and clincher. They don't make any mention of width, but weights are reasonable at 320/400g. You can find them on Ebay, or they have a website.

LouisN

by LouisN

Interesting....

What's their Ebay username ?
Would be nice to have some real world reviews...
Seems like nothing much has happened for them for the last year on the web... :noidea:

Wookieopolis

by Wookieopolis

Username is: laloma123
There isn't much info out there on these rims that I could find. There is a bit about the spokes they sell, but not much about the rims. They've been mentioned here and at RBR a bit.
Token also does a 33mm wheelset, but that puts you in a much higher price bracket.

HillRPete

by HillRPete

The Token (T33 SL) wheel is based on a 22mm wide Gigantex rim, but not available for retail, as far as I know. Seems to be gone from their homepage now.
There's 32mm tubulars on aliexpress from xbike, but iirc xbike doesn't have the best reputation. Also they only weigh around 260g, not sure that would give me peace of mind.
38x23mm carbon tubulars are available from some of the notorious sellers, could be the ticket. Think they are almost 100g heavier than the 32mm ones, which probably puts them in a more avarage weight category (good in my book, 75kg rider).

LouisN

by LouisN

38 mm is illegal for U16 categories. Max allowed is 35 mm.

That would be so much easier as alomst every manufacturer is making a 38 mm rim...:(

The 33mm profile rim from the Newson Sportec Facebook page looks to be more like a 24 mm rim... :?

coachboyd
in the industry

by coachboyd

I would be very wary of dealing with Newson Sportec (and I hope they see me posting this). They took the mould drawings we had for our new carbon rims this year, changed the numbers to what they carried, and claimed those shapes were what the person would receive. They were really bad at this too, and on one of the rims they claimed it was 50mm wide and 21mm deep. After a while of asking them to take down the images I finally threatened legal action and they were removed that day.

Back on topic. . have you thought about just going with an alloy wheel? You can get close to 30mm with not much of a weight penalty and a lot less expense if by chance another reckless junior takes you out.
http://www.boydcycling.com The Handcrafted Revolution

LouisN

by LouisN

Thanks for the tip, Coach,

Actually I'm not very satisfied just with the information and answers they're giving me right now...

The projects (2) are for my 11 yr old twin daughters.

I already have a pair of 1350-1400g wheels for them.
It's still more than 300 g "penalty" for both rims from a Kinlin XR 270-300 or the like to a (estimated 300g/ea.) carbon tubular. Plus the tubs...
A few shallower chinese options are not way more expensive than the Velocity options, and the same price as the HED Belgium.

The twins weigh 80 lbs each, so a 500g benefit only for the wheels, plus a few tweaks for the bike, is not too negligeable IMO...
Very, very rare spills in the younger female categories (they'll be U12 for the next two years, and then U14 for two more). They don't need bombproof wheels either.
I'm looking more and more towards the 24 mm option, as the girls race at around 30 km/h so aero is not very important, but heck,. if I can find a nice affordable 35 mm rim at 300-320 g, then why not..?

LouisN

by LouisN

Aerozenith X1300 at 35 mm. Nice.

http://www.aerozenith.fr/jantes-routes,3.htm

But very pricey for the intended use... :?

LouisN

by LouisN

coachboyd wrote:I would be very wary of dealing with Newson Sportec (and I hope they see me posting this). They took the mould drawings we had for our new carbon rims this year, changed the numbers to what they carried, and claimed those shapes were what the person would receive. They were really bad at this too, and on one of the rims they claimed it was 50mm wide and 21mm deep. After a while of asking them to take down the images I finally threatened legal action and they were removed that day.

After all my questioning and doubting, they took their 33 mm rim out of their Ebay listings... :? ... :lol:

A call to all the WW members who have connections with the asian OEM world:
38 mm is out...
With all the major brands making these 33-35 mm "wide" wheels, making a few 35 mm molds would sell a lot of wheels and rims :D...

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

Those Bontrager D3s are a wicked set of wheels
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

yz387

by yz387

BHS is now selling 30 mm Gingatex carbon tubulars.

LouisN

by LouisN

@TrekUK, yes indeed :D !!!

@yz387: I saw that. The "heavy" version is in my Kinlin XR300 (weight and profile) territory IMHO, but with a $420 premium.
While the light version, built up, is within the Shimano, HED and Bontrager complete wheelsets territory.

LouisN

by LouisN

UPDATE: I'm proud to announce my work has paid off (along with other fellows) !
The cycling federation will bring maximum wheel profile from 35 to 40 mm next year for U16 kids :beerchug: .
This new rule brings tons of possibilities for the kids's parents. My quest for 35 mm rims is now over.
Wide profile 40 mm rims, here I come ....:D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com