Aluminium Bike Thread

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

Although I haven't always been a fan of aluminium bikes, I am currently in the process of building my second aluminium bike (not sure why and when I did became a fan). My first alu bike is a lugged Alan cyclocross bike. My second is going to be a fairly unusual Pearson time trial bike. So far all I have are the frame and the wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DMF

by DMF

Stunning! I would love to see that built with some modern carbon bars (no polished oldschool aluminum bullhorns) and an oldschool bladed carbon aero seatpost, maybe a giant chain ring á la world hour record bike...

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I would like to go with a quill stem for this bike, so that does limit my options for a handelbar setup quite a bit. The frame came with a Mavic bullhorn/aerobar setup when I bought it. Another option which I also like quite a bit is the ITM Dual CX2, which is silver.

DRAGON60

by DRAGON60

jonar -----those are 2 beautiful bikes-----hope they serve you well-----perfect colours really

SWijland-----very unusual------will it be a road bike or just track?

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

I plan to build it into a TT bike

HillRPete

by HillRPete

A bit of a hack here, 650b converted flatbar cyclocross.

No name frame and saddle, Ritchey WCS kit, Ultegra flatbar shifters, Avid Speed Dial SL levers, Kinesis DC37 fork, Avid BB7 road disc front / Shorty 6 canti rear, FSA Afterburner 27/40 crank, Shimano SLX RD, Shimano 11-34 cassette, Syncros bottle cages. Wheels are Ambrosio Keba 650b 36h with 3x DT Revolution on XTR M965 hubs, Kenda Karma tyres.

What might be of interest is that the Avid Shorty 6 brakes in the rear have been modded with a longer slot, so they just about reach down to the brake track of the (smaller 650b) rim. Very close fit, will need to have an eye on it.

To make the Kenda Karma 2.0 sized tyres clear the chainstays, I had to take the side knobs off. Hope it doesn't expand over time, there is virtually no room. Thinking of modding the rear dropouts to find an extra 3mm or so. Guess I will have to store the rear wheel deflated for now. Hoping for an 650b x 1.9 tyre at some point.

Quite fond of the overall proportions with the 650b on the 58cm frame.
Attachments
IMG_3702-small-2.JPG
IMG_3702-canti.JPG
Last edited by HillRPete on Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I would *love* to see someone post a Nicolai in here. This thread is screaming for one.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I've lusted over a Nicolai for years...bet it rides a touch harsh tho!

Sjoerd

by Sjoerd

Here's mine, 7,6 kg as pictured. A Rose Xeon RS. I know I'm biased, but the bike looks better in real life.

Edit: I no longer have a Flickr account so the pic is gone
Last edited by Sjoerd on Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goldenr

by Goldenr

Beautifull bike^

I just picked up an 86 cannondale that was in decent shape for $200. So far i replaced the tape saddle and threw some gatorskins on it. Im looking to do some tuning, its starting out on the heavy side 22lbs. Im excited to get out and put some miles on it though.

86 Cannondale by Golden Photography, on Flickr

Goldenr

by Goldenr

Krull wrote:beautiful!

Thank you!

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

There are some beautiful alu rigs on this thread, but I have to admit that one of the finest examples of understatement is the cross bike that opened it all from Theosaurus.

Here is a 2011 frameset I acquired a few months ago and built up with a combo of old and new parts.
DeRosa Team ISP in Blue Italia scheme. The frameset comes with a double clamp and a short post that inserts into the seat tube. Together, the clamp and post were about 280 grams. I shaved down the paint on the ISP and went with a KCNC Majestic at roughly 120 grams for some nice savings.

Zak

by Zak

Very very nicely done Stolichnaya

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rico

by rico

I miss my Principia RS6e Pro more than any other bike, with the possible exception of my C40. This is me racing my other favorite alu frame of the time, a Sigma Olympia at Hillingdon in 2004. The Sigmas were very common in this part of the world and (apparently) were made by Billato in Italy. This was the Deda 7003 version. I put so much oomph into the front end during this race that the headtube cracked...
Attachments
hillingdon3904.jpg