Campagnolo 'Crucifix' Nipple Wrenches

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I've got three of these - each one different. I would be grateful if someone could tell me if there were any others. I don't think so.

tommasini

by tommasini

5.5 mm hex is for current Bora, etc wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

atakaoka

by atakaoka

tommasini wrote:5.5 mm hex is for current Bora, etc wheels.

sorry but I boght a 5,5 mm tool,but actualy it's a 5 mm tool require to the inner niples.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

tommasini

by tommasini

So your reply had me curious - as I had called Campagnolo USA to get to the bottom of the issue. They reassured me that 5.5 was correct for current generation Bora's - so I bought such a wrench.....but never tested it.........until tonight.

My new 5.5 doesn't work..... :evil: .

The good thing in all this is those wheels are so damn robust that truing them isn't something I'm needing to do anytime soon!! :thumbup:

atakaoka

by atakaoka

tommasini wrote:So your reply had me curious - as I had called Campagnolo USA to get to the bottom of the issue. They reassured me that 5.5 was correct for current generation Bora's - so I bought such a wrench.....but never tested it.........until tonight.

My new 5.5 doesn't work..... :evil: .

The good thing in all this is those wheels are so damn robust that truing them isn't something I'm needing to do anytime soon!! :thumbup:

sorry about that.I also have one 5,5.
all literature about the campy wrench say 5,5mm,I dont know where they took that number.maybe from they wrench on the outer mesure.who knows.
luckly you won't need any time soon to use the wrench.
cycling,a great individual sport,were you can't reach anything,whithout group effort.

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Unless someone knows different, there have been three Campgnolo deep rim nipple tools:-

UT-HU070 - Look down the end of this tool and you will find a 5.5mm female hex pattern. For early Shamal, Vento and Zonda wheels up to 1998. I used my tool on the early Shamals.

From 1991, Campag deep section wheels (not including Bora) switched to 5.0mm female hex pattern, and Campag did not make a special tool because such things are widely available.

UT-HU060 Version 1: Look down the end and you will find a four sided/square 3.2mm female pattern for Bora wheels.

UT-HU060 Version 2: Look down the end and it will be cylindrical, with four flutes. Sized at 3.2mm and does the same thing as the Bora tool above.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

There's a Y shaped key from Park Tool that should allow you to service all Campa wheels.
Service being the wrong word, Campa wheels don't need servicing other than free hubs and bearings... Or, do they?

Cheers, :)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

atakaoka

by atakaoka

The wrench is only required in the carbon hubs to change the bearings cups.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com