2014 Shimano 6870 and Disk Brakes!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Think we'll see a Dura-ace version once the UCI approve their use in races.

Likely in 1~2 years. Or if the market demand is high enough, they would put it together with their 'mainstream' groupsets. Just like their compact cranksets.

TrekUk
Shop Owner

by TrekUk

oooh this looks nice!
Madone Five Series 2013
Shimano Dura-Ace 9000
Mavic Cosmic SLE 2013

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBJ

by CBJ

Ultegra Di2 looks amazing.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Found this from a blog of the Shimano product presentation in Malaysia.

Anders

by Anders

"Di2 is the opposite of mechanical groupsets in the sense that it's the derailleur, not the shifter, that's speed-specific. So you'd be able to use the new levers with old 10-speed mechs but you couldn't swap your old Di2 rear derailleur our for the new one."

Bad news if it's true.

Anders

by Anders

It seems this is a wrong statement when you read the bikerumor article. Everything is compatible.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Given that the RT-99 discs are centre lock only, what are the recommendations for lightest affordable hubs that will suit the centre lock system ?

Colin

by Colin

DT Swiss 180's are the lightest center lock hubs that I have found but they are pricey, otherwise 240's.

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

I don't see any hydraulic rim brakes :(
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

dha

by dha

Anders wrote:"Di2 is the opposite of mechanical groupsets in the sense that it's the derailleur, not the shifter, that's speed-specific. So you'd be able to use the new levers with old 10-speed mechs but you couldn't swap your old Di2 rear derailleur our for the new one."

Bad news if it's true.

Not convinced that is accurate, I think I have seen 10spd Ultegra shifters working with 11spd Dura Ace front and rear mechs. The shifters are just switches and the connections must be the same. The Ultegra 6770 shifters DO work with the new junction A and internal battery, that I do know.

ms6073

by ms6073

MichaelB wrote:Given that the RT-99 discs are centre lock only, what are the recommendations for lightest affordable hubs that will suit the centre lock system ?
I believe that is specific to the new 140mm Icetech rotors seeing as there are currently 6-bolt IceTech 160mm rotors available.

dha wrote:Not convinced that is accurate, I think I have seen 10spd Ultegra shifters working with 11speed DuraAce front and rear mechs. The shifters are just switches and the connections must be the same. The Ultegra 6770 shifters DO work with the new junction A and internal battery, that I do know.
While I have no experience, Shimano has been very forthright in promoting the fact that assuming components have been updated to the latest firmware, any e-tube Di2 component is interchangeable with any other within the limitations of the component. What that means is that if you have a 10-speed Di2 e-tube compatible group and want to go 11-speed, even though the 11-speed shifters will work with a 10-speed e-tube rear derailleur, there is not a firmware update to make the rear deraileur shift 11-speeds so this will also require an 11-speed rear derailleur and cassette.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

kevinkalis wrote:I don't see any hydraulic rim brakes :(

As soon as the UCI approves disc brakes all bikes will have those, so i understand Shimano not wasting time in something that will disappear anyhow.

ms6073

by ms6073

MisterNoChain wrote:As soon as the UCI approves disc brakes all bikes will have those, so i understand Shimano not wasting time in something that will disappear anyhow.
I would tend to agree but some might argue there is a place for them seeing how SRAM Red 22 hydraulic shifters and rim brakes apparently helped keep Cavendish upright the other day near the end of the chaotic first stage at the tour!
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

CBJ

by CBJ

His comment smell more like a plug for the sponsors too me. On dry roads, flat roads breaking seems more about what the tires can handle than any claimed hydro rim break advantage.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com