New powermeter rumours

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

airwise

by airwise

Seemingly with exactly the same problems sadly, if DC Rainmaker's experience is anything to go by.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I'm really not trying to be a nag about this, I promise......but I think this is a problem in all forums, spanning all interests. At least the ones I've been involved in. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

"If DC Rainmakers experience is anything to go by....". Well, what about the guy that says "I've had no problems with mine"?

The threads with positive reviews are always about 4 posts long and are buried in 24 hours by the 87 page diatribes about complaints. Listen, I have no stock in SRAM/Quarq etc, so I'm not married to them. If the product sucks, it sucks. But it doesn't......at least not for me. But that's boring, right?

eric

by eric

I'm pretty sure that Rainmakers's unit is 1) a Cinqo, not the new unit 2) was used in the rain a lot, something that's known to sometimes cause problems for Cinqos, and 3) the founder of Quark has publiclly stated that the error he's seeing is way out of line, the unit is probably defective and would he please send it back.

Maybe one bad unit == quark sucks to you, but if you apply that reasoning to the other power meters (or any product for that matter) then they all suck.

airwise

by airwise

Quite happy to test one for them if they send one out to the Dolomites.

Not happy to fork out my own money on the off chance that the pattern we are seeing is somehow just the result of faulty old stock.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

airwise wrote:Quite happy to test one for them if they send one out to the Dolomites.

Not happy to fork out my own money on the off chance that the pattern we are seeing is somehow just the result of faulty old stock.

Hahaha....... WHAT PATTERN?

airwise

by airwise

How about posting some data to show the climbs you do, the VAM, HR and Power readings?

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

airwise wrote:How about posting some data to show the climbs you do, the VAM, HR and Power readings?

Being that I'm barely computer literate enough to type this, I'd say I wouldn't hold your breath. I couldn't figure out how to post a pic of my bike in another thread.

You can either take my word that I am bright enough to determine whether I have an issue with drift or not. Either way, I'll sleep the same tonight.

I've contributed enough to taking this thread way off course though, so I'll leave it at that.

claus

by claus

Already briefly mentioned elsewhere:

Factor Power Crank to hit market in August

As they have it already available on bikes (do they?) this shouldn't be just a "rumor".

wasfast

by wasfast

2000 pounds is quite a swallow but they are pushing the quality vector, not the low price vector.

djconnel

by djconnel

Looks good but if they're measuring cadence with a magnet it still won't handle oval chainrings (or different degrees of inertia). They claim to report angular velocity, though, so perhaps they're using an accelerometer for that, and the cadence magnet is secondary, or else they're just basing angular velocity on the cadence signal.

In any case, it looks very promising.

On the Vector watch: obviously none on the bikes in the Tour: I suspect the team didn't want to mess with anything new in the Tour.

mentok

by mentok

the magnet can be used in conjunction with the accelerometer for a TDC reference point every lap.

euan

by euan

https://twitter.com/MattyClinton/status ... 7422101504

Matt Clinton who works for Cyclepowermeters in the UK. Says they will be £1350 as well.

Geoff

by Geoff

The new SRM Dura-Ace crank is 'out' in final form. With the final, larger chassis design, the two batteries have a 3,000-hour battery life. Check-it-out at SRM USA!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Been out for a while Geoff.

I missed the first order, waiting for 2nd shipment to hit Oceania SRM!

kevinkalis

by kevinkalis

Am I missing something with all these new power meters coming to market at such high price points? I get how they're all different and have their unique selling points but, when a reliable system like a SRM (used), Quarq and PowerTaps can be had for a similar price or even less, is there any reason to splurge on unproven technology?
K2

Do you suffer more when you train, or cannot train?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com