Reynolds rim failure ( @ 350 psi )

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

djconnel

by djconnel

Nice photo in VeloNews:

Remember not to pump those tires over 300 psi just to be safe.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

The $4500 Reynolds RZR wheels have rims made in China. Hmmm.

justanewbie

by justanewbie

So what's wrong with that? It's not the same carbon, mold, or factory that your shithouse open-mold Chinese made rims are from. No one's forcing you to buy them.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Why would they do that? They could have stopped at 250 psi and called it a day, relying on my expert opinion to tell them "Yeah, the damn thing is going to explode at somewhere over 300 psi" and then they could have made note of that and then given me the rim. :mrgreen:

Grill

by Grill

RussellS wrote:The $4500 Reynolds RZR wheels have rims made in China. Hmmm.

Yes, in a factory that they own. It's not outsourced like almost every other company.

Also, that's a clincher they tested. I'm quite impressed that it took 350psi to explode the rim as that's 3x more than what anyone is going to actually use.

I reckon my RZR Teams are just about the strongest wheels this side of the Mississippi.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Per Bike Radar, the RZR is entirely built in Utah, which, last I checked, had not been sold to the Chinese.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... 662?img=25

Grill

by Grill

Good catch. I'd forgotten that Mr. Lew's oven was still about :)

That said even my Attacks are surprisingly strong.

metanoize

by metanoize

Reynolds are very underrated wheels! One of two pairs Thirty Two tubulars I have has 13K miles on it. It's my daily ride/commute around SF and Marin. It takes a beating on potholes filled roads, still true, still looks like I just got them too. Super light one pair is 1040g, the other 1060g.

There is something in BikeRumor few days ago about new CryoPads coming in the fall. They say, they can achieve near alloy braking surface. The current pads are no slouch either.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I've got a set of DV3K's that withstood all the abuse I have thrown at it, even when i weighed 295lbs! I am incredibly impressed about the value you get for these wheels ($1100 for carbon clinchers). sure, they use off-brand hubs, and heavier spokes than other brands, but i have put plenty of miles on my wheels, and they're as strong as ever.

given their new lineup, i may pull the trigger on a set of Assaults some time next year, especially with the new pads.

wingguy

by wingguy

FIJIGabe wrote:Per Bike Radar, the RZR is entirely built in Utah, which, last I checked, had not been sold to the Chinese.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gallery/articl ... 662?img=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Building a wheel generally means lacing a rim onto a hub with spokes, which is exactly what BikeRadar shows them doing. Said hub, rim and spokes are probably still made in China.

(Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that.)

notsoswift

by notsoswift

To quote "The all-carbon RZR is built entirely in Utah, with carbon rims, hubs, spokes and even nipples"
Not really much question on that

I run Assault Tubulars, guessing 3 years now, I agree with the others, excellent performance and value, could use daily and have sometimes left them on after a race

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

notsoswift wrote:To quote "The all-carbon RZR is built entirely in Utah, with carbon rims, hubs, spokes and even nipples"
Not really much question on that

Yeah. They build it (put it together) using carbon rims, hubs, spokes and nipples, and they do it in Utah. I absolutely believe that is true. Where the carbon rims, hubs, spokes and nipples come from is not stated :wink: