What are the more boutique light 29er carbon HT's?

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Hey guys, so I've been hunting around for a new frame and just wanting to get a better idea of what's out there. I've always been one to buy a quality product that will last me for many years which has brought the Foundry Broadaxe to my attention with it's 10 year warranty. I tend to like the more boutique brands that aren't as popular on the trail.

The ones I know of so far are.

Open 1.0 (Bit pricey for me though)
Foundry Broadaxe
Focus Raven
Canyon Grand canyon CF

These are the only ones I can think of at the moment. Mainly only interested in ones that come as a frame set.

Can be 650b frames as well if you know of any.

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

devinci

by devinci

not sure if you're into Ti, but Erikssen bikes are dope

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Do like Ti, but had my ti 26 for 10 years now and really want to give carbon a try. Will most likely be my bike for another 10 years which is why durability is one of my concerns. That's why the foundry 10 year warranty is very appealing. If it is actually a "no-hassle" warranty. Doesn't seem to be much about these frames except for the regular singletrack reviews etc. They are fairly new though so understandable.

grover

by grover

My team ride the Foundry Broadaxe (with another name, it's an open mold frameset). Everyone has broken one within 6 months. The failures are not in one area. Seat stays, chain stays, downtube. If you want it for 10 years I'd steer clear, unless you're happy to deal with warranty claims quite regularly.

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Grover, thanks for the information. That's a bit off putting for the frame. Being in Australia don't really want to deal with warranty that much. Seeing as they are an american company. Although they do have a retailer with a QBP account who can order one locally. So I assume that would make warranty claims local as well. I'm not a competitive racer. Do 3-4 social rides with the faster riders in the area. So it will get well used but only social racing etc. Not a hack but also not as smooth as I should be. So It's probably questionable whether or not I'd be hard enough on it to cause these breakages.

Scott Scale is seeming more and more tempting with these issues that keep arising with the boutique frames. Although not sure if it would last as long as I like..

limba

by limba

I'd buy a Cannondale and be done with it.

but if you really want to be different how bout a Pinarello? That's a rare bird.

jbbikerider

by jbbikerider

Pivot Les 29er. If not les, go with the Cdale Flash and you'll be stoked either way. Well maybe check a Hard Eddie or the new Yeti ASC carbon 29er.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Pinarellos are kinda cool, but pricey too. Open has the 2.0 that is a bit more affordable.
Niner

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

grover

by grover

That said, it's light and handles very well. Quite short chainstays for a 29er.

I'd echo the recommendations re Intense Hard Eddie or Yeti ARC Carbon29. Both a bit more solidly build with good support in Australia. I don't know where in Australia you are...if Melbourne based Fitzroy Revolution have demo models of both.

ratherbeintobago

by ratherbeintobago

Nicholas68 wrote:I tend to like the more boutique brands that aren't as popular on the trail.

Focus Raven
Canyon Grand canyon CF

Focus? Canyon? Boutique, you say?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

That was my first thought too :) However, I supposed it depends on where you live....

limba

by limba

If you get the Hard Eddie and want to use XX1 that might be a problem. A local guy has one and it doesn't look like there's much clearance for anything bigger than a 32 tooth ring. I could be completely wrong but it didn't look like the big chainrings would fit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nicholas68

by Nicholas68

Thanks for all the suggestions, if there's any more keep em coming. Seeing some nice carbon frames I didn't know about. Never knew Pinarello made MTB frames. Definitely looks unique. Probably out of my price range though. I'm in Brisbane but I'm sure there are bike shops which stock the yeti and intense. Although if I was to go to the mainstream route I'd probably try get my hands on a scott scale 700 or 900. And as for the canyon never seen one in Australia so I consider it boutique, and only seen one raven, really like the look of it. Just not sure on the frame as the guy who owns it cracked a stay.