Look Keo Blade pedal broken

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

asv

by asv

I have blades 12 and 16 on multiple bikes without issues. I know quite a few people with blades and no problems either. I'm not saying that means jack but there isn't any non-anecdotal evidence that Blades are more prone to failure.

jmilliron

by jmilliron

I've got 3 year old Look Blades (12, Ti). Probably 18,000 km on them. Only thing I've had to do is pull the spindles out, clean and grease them when they started to creak.

edit; and I know they've hit the deck a couple of times. One or two crit crashes, bike getting knocked over, etc.
2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Rick

by Rick

stella-azzurra wrote:Why would there be common leaf spring failures on the keo blade?

A. Is it the thickness of the leaf?
B. Is it the type of carbon being used for the leaf?
C. Is it the design of the leaf?
D. All of the above

Some of the failures are referring to the pedal body such as in this thread ; while some have referred to the leaf spring itself.
It could really be any or all of the reasons. Without detailed analysis we can't be sure.
But since some people seem to have no problems, I don't suspect it is inherent in the design. The "design" seems to work well for most people.
But there seems to be a high incidence of failure, which would make me suspect that some of the materials or processes leave flaws that are not really in the "design" but are still present in the products: Inadequate curing; rough cuts leaving stress concentrations; inaccurate fiber orientation and layup, improper pressure during cure leaving voids, contamination of materials....etc.

Some users might abuse their parts without reporting it.
Just a reminder that this is all pure speculation on my part. I haven't seen any of these failures.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

It's entirely possible that when the crank arm is left in the 6 o'clock position the pedal can strike low lying objects.

You get off the bike and leave the cranks in that position and possibility is there as well and countless other accidents.

These are no fault to the manufacturer or the integrity of the product.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

blee

by blee

So, in my case my pedals were kept in pristine condition. No crashes, abuse, etc...in fact, not even a scratch on any of them. Each time that this has occurred now (3 times in total) it was on my right pedal, which is the one I click out of whenever I come to a stop. So, whatever the cause is, there is a definite correlation with "repetitive stress".

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

How new are your pedals as in which year?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

blee

by blee

Well, the original set was purchased in late 2011 but were first installed/used in January 2012. The first failure occurred in October 2012, the 2nd this past January, and the 3rd just a few days ago. Each time the failures occurred the pedals were sent back to Look and a warranty replacement set were sent back.

Geoff

by Geoff

I am an 'early adopter' to the Look system and have never had a problem (not caused by a crash) yet. (Watch, now I'll break a blade crestingnthe Highwood Pass thie weekend, or something)
Last edited by Geoff on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

blee wrote:Well, the original set was purchased in late 2011 but were first installed/used in January 2012. The first failure occurred in October 2012, the 2nd this past January, and the 3rd just a few days ago. Each time the failures occurred the pedals were sent back to Look and a warranty replacement set were sent back.

Well at least Look was good about replacing them.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

blee wrote:Each time that this has occurred now (3 times in total) it was on my right pedal, which is the one I click out of whenever I come to a stop. So, whatever the cause is, there is a definite correlation with "repetitive stress".

Interesting that it's the "foot down" pedal each time. The blade is partially exposed underneath and if you're not clipped in and pressure is applied it could stress the blade.

Please note this isn't a criticism because from experience I've had to "push" on the reverse side of a pedal occasionally to avoid being hit by a car!

gitsome

by gitsome

The problem here (at least in my experience) is NOT with the leaf-spring but with the BACK of the pedal body itself, the part at the very back of the body itself, i think its just a matter of the pressure/force exerted by foot clicking in and out OR the force of actual pedaling that creates fatigue and cracks the carbon, perhaps the carbon cannot withstand such forces at such a light weight. Perhaps more durable construction (with resultant higher weight) would solve the issue or a more flexible carbon matrix or some other such cure. I dont think it had anything to do with the leaf spring in my failure at least.
My wallet is the lightest thing on my bike.

fignonsbarber

by fignonsbarber

gitsome wrote:The problem here (at least in my experience) is NOT with the leaf-spring but with the BACK of the pedal body itself, the part at the very back of the body itself, i think its just a matter of the pressure/force exerted by foot clicking in and out OR the force of actual pedaling that creates fatigue and cracks the carbon, perhaps the carbon cannot withstand such forces at such a light weight. Perhaps more durable construction (with resultant higher weight) would solve the issue or a more flexible carbon matrix or some other such cure. I dont think it had anything to do with the leaf spring in my failure at least.

Yes, I agree. I broke mine this weekend, the bottom of the pedal body, right across the whole bottom from hinge to hinge. When I contacted the dealer, he responded that these pedals are a joke and he would have new ones to me in 48 hours, as he has the drill down pat.

stelvio86

by stelvio86

gilesharrison wrote:My crack is similar in appearance but in a different area. Here's a picture.

Had exactly the same failure in that spot as gilesharrison's ...unfortunately it happened mid-acceleration but somehow I managed to stay upright (just) Otherwise I had got on pretty well with them (also Carbon Ti)...

I have some boxed Time Xpresso12 (155g on scales) on the side, but will return them to shop if I get the replacement Keos from the distributor...until they last ;-)

gitsome

by gitsome

Has anyone got experience with the Time Xpresso while someone mentioned it? I have heard great things about them and am curiuus. Although it would suck to switch as I've got 2 bikes, one with the Blades the other with older Keos and would hate to buy 2 new sets of expensive pedals but if this is a recurring issue then I might.....
and good luck to us all...
thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gitsome

by gitsome

PS - One last thought on the matter, as I am in the market for new pedals for a bike whose old Keo ti's are quite worn down, I am thinking of getting a second set of Blades from an online retailer who offers lifetime guarantee is product breaks, so I'm thinking I'm covered even if paying almost double what I can find them for on other sites....for peace of mind as I really do love the way these work when they work.

Thought?

thanks