HOT: Active* forum members generally gain 5% discount at starbike.com store!
Weight Weenies
* FAQ    * Search    * Trending Topics
* Login   * Register
HOME Listings Articles FAQ Contact About

Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 pm 

Something to note about Red: The new model with the Yaw FD doesn't have the mushy titanium cage that Red Black had, so it performs about 5800x better.

Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:35 pm 

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:34 am 

Quote:
So is the 7900 shifting components still strong enough for racing? Is it hard to keep adjusted?

yep, these show up in the pro tour so i guess they're good enough for the rest of us. aside from some barrel adjustment, i never had to do any major adjustments with mine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:49 am 

PSM wrote:
aerozy wrote:
7900 works fine but its more sensitive to friction than other groups, meaning over time any added wear in the drivetrain or cables and the shifting will degrade faster. I always notice that if I ride consecutive days in bad weather conditions the shifting usually goes to shit.

Are you serious? :unbelievable:

You bet I am. Have you ridden 7800? Have you ridden 7900? Now tell me which shifts better even out of the shop. Now ride both in bad weather conditions. You'll be tweaking the cable tension on the 7900 after only a few rides while you wont feel the need to touch the 7800 for months.

Of course that a well maintained 7900group shifts well enough for racing. Thats not my point. My point is its more finicky. Ok it takes 30s to clear the dirt from the cables but why do I have to that to begin with? Again 7800 ... throw it in a mud pit and it still shifts well on end. fewwwwww :roll:

Cervelo SLC + SRAM Red 2013 + Red Quarq (6.8kg)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 am 
Formerly known as wassertreter

I can confirm that I'm on the barrel adjusters quite frequently at the start of a ride with the 7900. But my setup is not pure with the Nokon and Red cassette. This is the case on all my bikes that have Nokon cables, I shall forego them for the next build, to check.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:43 am 

aerozy wrote:
PSM wrote:
aerozy wrote:
7900 works fine but its more sensitive to friction than other groups, meaning over time any added wear in the drivetrain or cables and the shifting will degrade faster. I always notice that if I ride consecutive days in bad weather conditions the shifting usually goes to shit.

Are you serious? :unbelievable:

You bet I am. Have you ridden 7800? Have you ridden 7900? Now tell me which shifts better even out of the shop. Now ride both in bad weather conditions. You'll be tweaking the cable tension on the 7900 after only a few rides while you wont feel the need to touch the 7800 for months.

Of course that a well maintained 7900group shifts well enough for racing. Thats not my point. My point is its more finicky. Ok it takes 30s to clear the dirt from the cables but why do I have to that to begin with? Again 7800 ... throw it in a mud pit and it still shifts well on end. fewwwwww :roll:

I rode 7800 for 2 years and 7900 for 2 as well. Biggest difference is the better breaking power for the latter.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:46 pm 
Resident Pro

Hi guys, I wanted to update you with my bike that I put 7900 on. The 7900 was the right way to go in my opinion although it did start falling apart recently....I guess I shift too much.
It is a non-branded frame that says Champion System on it. I have no idea what it is but it rides totally fine. I've been racing on Stans NoTubes prototype carbon wheels and I can say now they are race proven. I podiumed at the Tour de Beauce Mt. Meganitic stage with them. I came oh so close to winning the stage. I'm still kicking myself. 5th overall at the end of the week.
I dont know the weight for the bike but it is not that light but not heavy either, its a race bike so we can't make it that light any way.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:19 pm 

News Alert!

It's not the bike that matters, it's the legs and it sounds like you've got that covered ;-)

On 7900, it's ok, but I'm far from blown away. Once set up and running well, I'd take Chorus/Record.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:52 pm 

mattcooke wrote:
Hi guys, I wanted to update you with my bike that I put 7900 on. The 7900 was the right way to go in my opinion although it did start falling apart recently....I guess I shift too much.
It is a non-branded frame that says Champion System on it. I have no idea what it is but it rides totally fine. I've been racing on Stans NoTubes prototype carbon wheels and I can say now they are race proven. I podiumed at the Tour de Beauce Mt. Meganitic stage with them. I came oh so close to winning the stage. I'm still kicking myself. 5th overall at the end of the week.
I dont know the weight for the bike but it is not that light but not heavy either, its a race bike so we can't make it that light any way.

Ouch! Mixing SRAM with D-A? The best with D-A is certainly the stiff crank... :smartass:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:55 pm 
Resident Pro

Thanks guys. Also I was running Praxis rings and they are flipping awesome.

As for mixing I had no choice, we made it work well enough though ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:38 pm 

matt good job at beuce! been following the coverage just via steep hill and dan chab's tumblr. I am always hopefully for a D.C native to do well in big races! =)

Go to page Previous  1, 2