Campagnolo Athena 11 - Creaky Chainring?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewis

by Lewis

I recently started to notice a creaking noise coming from the bottom bracket area when under load. Firstly I thought it was the BB but I emailed the bike manufacture and they advised I check the chain ring. So I did, and realised it was coming from the Large chain ring when under load. I was advised to check the bolts (remove them all and grease and refit to torque setting). So I did this, and it sorted the issue. However it's come back, and even though I have since completed the same procedure it is still creaking. Anyone else had these problems? Reckon I need to replace the chain ring bolts altogether? I have only done around 1500 miles on the bike.

Thanks
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Pharmstrong

by Pharmstrong

I think I have the same bike as you; a Canyon AL (8.0?). I got this creaking after about 2k miles too! It would mainly happen when climbing seated. I was certain it was the bottom bracket but after I inspected it all I figured it was elsewhere. As you say the creaking would only occur in the large ring. The chain was worn so I swapped that and can't say I've noticed any creaking since, however I now sometimes get a really weird vibration through the crank in a certain gear combo (34 + 13/14). I keep meaning to have a shop look at it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewis

by Lewis

Hi, yes you do have the same bike! I guess I can swap the chain out but I shouldn't think it should be worn out after so little mileage? When are you supposed to change them> It's a KMC chain. thanks.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

When assembling chainring bolts I would recommend a copper-based anti-seize grease, even if the bolts and bolt heads are anodized. Re-tighten from time to time because they can work a little loose with vibration.

thisisatest
Shop Owner

by thisisatest

Just because your first creak was from your chainring bolts does not mean that this current creak is. I would investigate other areas. Pedals firmly mounted? Bearing seats, cassette, wheel QRs, etc...

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Lewis

by Lewis

Valbrona - Ok thanks, will try that. Current grease I have used is teflon cycling stuff rather than copper slip.

thisisatest - Possibly, but the noise and pattern is the same which leads me to believe it's the ring. No crank play, pedals all tight, can't hear the noise coming from the headset or BB so assume it's the rings.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Geoff

by Geoff

+1 on copper-based anti-seize for chainring bolt threads. Also, check to ensure that the chainring bolts are not cracked, which can happen.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

It rarely ever is the chain ring unless you have not torqued the chain ring bolts properly.

The chain ring bolts rarely get loose when properly torqued.

The chain ring rarely ever wears out.

If you another crank with chain rigs swap it out and check if the noise goes away.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Lewis

by Lewis

stella-azzurra wrote:It rarely ever is the chain ring unless you have not torqued the chain ring bolts properly.

The chain ring bolts rarely get loose when properly torqued.

The chain ring rarely ever wears out.

If you another crank with chain rigs swap it out and check if the noise goes away.

The chain ring bolts became loose first time which is what caused the creak (as in really loose - 1 or 2), and again the second time. They were properly torqued using atorque wrench (albeit a free one from Canyon) but if you tighten them much they make a crack sound when they bite and produce a kind of sulphery smell. Not sure if anyone else has noticed this.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

I have put together chain ring bolts on cranks many times by hand without a torque wrench just a simple hex wrench and they never came undone. I also apply a small amount of grease on the threads so when you loosen them they come off without issues.

I have never experienced the thing you mention about tightening them too much and the related creaking sound.
That might actually happen when you remove the bolts and they are dry where by they make a cracking sound upon removal.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

Lewis

by Lewis

Ok thanks. Well they definitely came loose I'm not making it up. Perhaps the vibration of the shit uk roads worked them loose I don't know. Yes I get the cracking when undoing but also when tightening. I may renew the nuts altogether and see if that fixes it.
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Oh one other thing. When you tighten the bolts on the chain ring make sure the rear part of the bolt is not spinning with the front part of the bolt. You will not achieve true torque and it will likely loosen later on as you ride.

This may be the primary cause of your problem.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Like stella I'm wondering if you're getting them to the required torque. Campag recommends 8Nm. It's best to tighten them in a criss-cross fashion as well.

As they have been coming loose Loctite them with 222 (low strength) or 243 (medium).

Lewis

by Lewis

@ stella-azzurra - I bought a tool to keep those in place whilst tightening the bolts. Also they are torqued to 8NM as recommended by Campag.

I cleaned the bike properly before a long ride sunday and couldn't see any other areas that would cause a creak. It's definitely coming from the crank area and is the same noise as before. Can't think what else it would be. Pedals are tight, no movement in the cranks from left to right (so not loose), no frame cracks that I can see....
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

sigismond0

by sigismond0

Have you tried re-installing the bottom bracket yet? Give it a liberal greasing during the reinstall, and see where that gets you. While you're at it you'll have the perfect chance to grease and tighten the spindle and fixing bolt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com