setup for Ciamillo Gravitas SL brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I feel obligated to update my own situation. Since posting on this thread, Ted has finally sent me out the washers I've needed, and offered me a discount on a future purchase.

Just felt it needed to updated since I did post a gripe/issue that was then resolved as a result.

pawnii

by pawnii

ZeroG wrote:Pawnii,

I am happy to express you a new set once I receive information on where you purchased this set.
This is damage that I haven't seen before. A receipt would be very helpful and since you live in Australia, any contact information of the dealer that supplied these to you.

Damage and missing parts are not indicative of new Ciamillo components and I would like to know the stream of movement of this caliper set as it made its way to you.

Please email me at tciamillo@gmail.com and I will get this taken care of you ASAP.

Thanks,

Ted

Done.
Thanks Ted
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pawnii

by pawnii

SLCBrandon wrote:I feel obligated to update my own situation. Since posting on this thread, Ted has finally sent me out the washers I've needed, and offered me a discount on a future purchase.

Just felt it needed to updated since I did post a gripe/issue that was then resolved as a result.

How do the brakes feel now? Plenty of power?

What setup do you have? (wheels,pads & groupset)
2012 Scott Foil Premium

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

pawnii wrote:
SLCBrandon wrote:I feel obligated to update my own situation. Since posting on this thread, Ted has finally sent me out the washers I've needed, and offered me a discount on a future purchase.

How do the brakes feel now? Plenty of power?

What setup do you have? (wheels,pads & groupset)

In all honesty, I've never felt the brakes lacked stopping power. So from that standpoint I've always liked them. I was meticulous with setup and still had/have to re-center them every few rides.

I'm running SRAM Red, with Black Prince Swissstop pads on Zipp 202 non-firecrest and 404 firecrest.

The 202's, even in non-firecrest are still fairly wide but when I swap back and forth, that's where the shims are needed. I love the Black Prince pads but didn't really keep up deglazing them until the other day when I actually used a razor blade to "sipe" them. Worked as good as new or possibly better, on 58mph descents.

Overall, my opinion of Ted and Ciamillo products is, they are engineered very well and with great intentions, but it seems Ted tries to do too much and juggles too many things. That's just the opinion I've gotten over the last few years from being on here and my own experience.

I've got a few friends like him. Hyper talented but focusing all that talent with follow through is the trick.

pawnii

by pawnii

thansk SLCBrandon.
That's what i was hoping to hear. I don't mind tinkering and spending time getting the setup right for my ride. As long as i know that it IS possible to get perfect.

I used to hear negative stuff about the Zero Gravity's but i never had a problem with them or them having a lack of power.
Hopefully it'll be the same with the Gravitas once i tune them in.

cheers
2012 Scott Foil Premium

coolmingli

by coolmingli

Mine feels very soft with stock koolpad, also weight a bit more then others have, 174 grams with everything.
I didn't get the 2 thick spherical washers, and 2 small washers that goes on to the cable pinch bolt.
I called and emailed for these washers, I don't know if I will get it or not.

pawnii

by pawnii

I didn't get the 2 thick spherical washers, and 2 small washers that goes on to the cable pinch bolt.

There's washers that go on the cable pinch bolt? :shock:
I don't have the either.

I've emailed Ted a few days ago...still waiting for a reply.

The thing is, I sold my DA 7900 brakes to fund the purchase of the Gravitas. So the Gravitas is all the brakes I have.
It has been a 3 weeks now and I can't ride my bike. I hope Ted will reply to my emails soon so I can get a replacement.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

coolmingli

by coolmingli

pawnii wrote:

There's washers that go on the cable pinch bolt? :shock:
I don't have the either.

yes, 2 very small washers, if you don't have these, the brake cable will be damaged after tighten, I also have GSL and Zero, they all have it, the washer is very hard to see, it is sitting recessed in the hole.

pawnii

by pawnii

just so i have it right...

the washer slides over the cable pinch bolt right?
So the cable pinch bolt never actually touches the cable, correct?
2012 Scott Foil Premium

coolmingli

by coolmingli

pawnii wrote:just so i have it right...

the washer slides over the cable pinch bolt right?
So the cable pinch bolt never actually touches the cable, correct?

Yes, that is exactly what it is, when the pinch bolt turns it touch the washer not the cable.

CAIOS

by CAIOS

@pawnii

I just gotten to know you are using the more expensive Gravitas brake. WOW! (blow my mind offf) :unbelievable: :unbelievable:
BTW, is Gravitas user-friendly (hassle-free) type or messy brake?
[I checked their website, and was told it is suitable for all rim, even wide-rim FC. Is it so?] :?
Cheers!

pawnii

by pawnii

CAIOS

I am still waiting for parts from Ciamillo to setup my Gravitas correctly.
At this stage I can't fairly comment of how hard or easy they are to setup.

From what I gather on WW, the Gravitas aren't as simple and 'hassle-free' as say Dura Ace brake calipers to set up...but the real question is all the setting up/tuning/hassle worth it?

I'm dying to find out.
2012 Scott Foil Premium

Getter

by Getter

Keeping the brakes centered is the part that takes some time. Once adjusted they've stayed centered for me.

Cable length is important. If the cable is too short or long...it can push or pull the caliper to one side.

Barrie

by Barrie

The outer cable length is very important,
I clamp the brake pads to the rim with a plastic g-clamp
adjust the cable adjuster half way on the movement
pull the brake cable through and lift the cam arm and tighten cable up,
and take the clamp off
screw the adjuster down to give the 1mm rim clearance on both sides
check the brake is central,

Mine stop me as good as my old DA 7900

Barrie

pawnii

by pawnii

ok i finally got my replacement caliper arm 2 days ago from Ciamillo.
Even though it has taken over 6 weeks i'd like to thank Tim for sending them along with all the spherical washers free of charge.

I had no problem swapping out the broken caliper arm and install the brakes onto my fork.

But when it came to installing the spherical washers onto the brake pad holders i ran out of bolt.
The brake pad holder bolt is too short for my setup. I'm using 2 thick spherical washers and the black washer on each side.
This would give me the perfect 2mm spacing between my pads and the rims brake surface.

Am i missing something here? Are there longer bolts that i don't have? Or are you not supposed to use that many thick washers on one side?
can anyone confirm?
Tim stopped replying to me 4 emails ago.

also, i'm missing the small washers that go on the pinch bolts, can anyone suggest where i can buy these from?
2012 Scott Foil Premium

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com