Best latex tube - which one?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

fdegrove wrote:Hi,

In what way does the addition of talcum powder reduce rolling resistance?

TA, ;)

You know what, I have no idea if it does reduce rolling resistance. I've just always done it after been told by my Dad, various other racers and also mechanics etc doing this with tubes at various shops. :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

fdegrove wrote:In what way does the addition of talcum powder reduce rolling resistance?

Doesn't... just make it easier to do a good install and removal.
formerly rruff...

weeshuggy

by weeshuggy

Eclipse Road Superlight Inner Tube, a claimed 29 grams....

Don't know if they are latex or not though but still without a doubt the lightest tube I've ever heard of. They aint cheap at £40 a pop though.
(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eclipse-road-su ... nner-tube/)

rmerka

by rmerka

weeshuggy wrote:Eclipse Road Superlight Inner Tube, a claimed 29 grams....

Don't know if they are latex or not though but still without a doubt the lightest tube I've ever heard of. They aint cheap at £40 a pop though.
(http://www.wiggle.co.uk/eclipse-road-su ... nner-tube/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Their press release says they are made of a "special plastic".

http://www.eclipse.ch/new/Press.html

ms6073

by ms6073

WMW wrote:Doesn't... just make it easier to do a good install and removal.
This was also something I also have done over the last 30-years but having disassembled thoroughly warn/punctured Veloflex road and FMB cross tubulars, I noted that both had a talc-like powder residue inside. Also wanted to add that in hot/humid climates like we have hear near the Texas Gulf Coast, in the summer time (May-September :roll:), road temps often exceed 120+ degrees and adding talc helps keep the latex from sticking to the tire carcass. As for rolling resistance, I have always gotten the impression it helps by allowing the inner tube some 'wiggle' room inside the tire.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

This was also something I also have done over the last 30-years but having disassembled thoroughly warn/punctured Veloflex road and FMB cross tubulars, I noted that both had a talc-like powder residue inside

Seen that too but not recently. My guess is that the manufacturer hoped the fine talcum powder inside the inner tube would somehow reduce the porosity of latex hence helping to keep its pressure longer.

Also wanted to add that in hot/humid climates like we have hear near the Texas Gulf Coast, in the summer time (May-September :roll:), road temps often exceed 120+ degrees and adding talc helps keep the latex from sticking to the tire carcass. As for rolling resistance, I have always gotten the impression it helps by allowing the inner tube some 'wiggle' room inside the tire

Does it matter one bit if or not the inner tubes sticks to the casing? I don't think so as an inner tube doesn't move with respect to a casing. How could it?

Their press release says they are made of a "special plastic".

Yeah. If it would be half as good as it sounds to be we'd all be using by now. :mrgreen:

Ciao, ;)
Being a snob is an expensive hobby.

Tom-s

by Tom-s

I always thought it was to make the tube able to move (don't stick to the tire).
So wenn you inflate the tube it will spread better in the tire. That helps to keep the wall thickness evenly spread and so giving the lowest possible rolling resistance.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Using talcum powder to make it easier to mount the inner tube, yes. But that won't lower the rolling resistance of a tyre.

Try to use it sparingly as when talcum powder gets wet it tends to caulk.

Ciao, ;)

nayr497

by nayr497

I swapped some tires around over the weekend.

Vredestein latex tubes (20/25) in Veloflex Paves (23) on Mavic Open Pro rims. Tubes went in very nicely and evenly, perfect size, easy as mounting up butyl tubes. Very nice ride quality, though on this wheelset Vittoria Corsas CXs seemed slightly smoother. Could be in my mind!

Vredestein latex tubes (20/25) in Veloflex Master (22) on Mavic Ksyrium SL rims. Same thing, very, very easy to mount. Haven't ridden them yet.

It's been noted before, but I had a great deal more trouble with Michelin latex tubes. They just seem too big for 22 or 23 mm tires, I always seem to get a bunched up spot.

I did get my first flat on Friday (solstice ride!) on Vredestein tubes. A slow leak, no blowout, which is better than the other option. Now I just need to find someone with some latex pieces I can have, as I'm reluctant to cut up a tube with one pinprick hole to get some patches. Nobody I ride with has any, nor do any of the LBS. I guess I'm in butyl country!

Oh, and I've been trying to mount Vittoria Open Corsa tires on some older Campagnolo Delta Strada rims. Wow, those rims don't seem to like any tires, it's always, always a major PITA, er PITThumbs.
A good day becomes a better day with a bicycle ride.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

Vulcanizing patches like Rema Tip Top work just as well for latex tubes as for butyl.

fdegrove
Tubbie Guru

by fdegrove

Hi,

Vulcanizing patches like Rema Tip Top work just as well for latex tubes as for butyl.

It works but then you find yourself with Half a Nelson.

Anyone use their brain any more?

Goodbye and good night, ;)

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Problem with Vredestein latex tube.
It looses air during night and in the morning it´s empty, but it does not happen every night. Remounted it and put it under water - no bubbles.
Any ideas?
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

knef

by knef

You mean totally empty, not pressure drop?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Not totally empty, but almost. It´s not the usual latex tube air loss.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

The Vredestins are natural latex which will lose more air than the pink or green latex that Vittoria or Michelin use. You just have to pump them up again and they should be fine :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com