Best value / performance Campagnolo 11 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommasini

by tommasini

As noted earlier....Yes.....but to put it more accurately, 2011 and newer Chorus, Record, SR all share the same crisper shift feel at the lever with stronger rear der. springs.

That noted I recall that the rear der spring was a running change in the 2010 model year and I suspect that the shifting action came about also as a 2010 running change.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Sorry to dig this thread, but don't want to create another one.

I want to make a performance - value - frankenstein Campag 11 speed, choosing from these main 3 group (chor/ Rec/ SR)
Budget is moderate. What would you guys think to be the best combination of price/performance? (not care much about super light weight). I don't race but want long lasting and good looking group.

I'm thinking
1. Chorus Cassette - durable, cheap,
2. Chain? how are the three difference? My local mechanic said for Shimano, Cassette and chain profile of, say Dura-Ace made it easier to shift compared to 105/Ultegra casstte/chain. Does this hold truth for Campy as well?
3. Shifter - I think Record just for a tad of red bling - I take it that all three function almost the same if well adjusted?
4. Rear Der - Chorus for durability, may be Record for bling carbon factor
5. Front Der - Chorus for stiffness and durability
6. Crank - Record for the bling, may be 2nd hand

Should I change anything? No SR in here, not sure if any part is worth the price.

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

Unless you REALLY want to pay for bling I don't see any reason to go above and beyond the Chorus group. Outside of the RD carbon cage and the Ti spindle in the crankset (and you already said you don't care much about weight) you are paying almost solely for a different colored decal. You could argue that if anything Record and SR might be less reliable, though there is no evidence to support that.

Is it worth 50% more $$$ for a different decal color?

I just purchased a Chorus group with an Athena FD. I would have purchased an Athena RD, but I was swayed by the carbon cover that matched my shifters (along with the great prices on Ribble/Wiggle.) I still kind of regret it because there was zero added functionality over the Athena RD.

Go full Chorus and throw the rest into a new wheelset or your retirement fund.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Agreed just get chorus. You get a good weight saving and some function changes between SR and chorus but really nothing with record and chorus.. The SR rear mech is stiffer than the other two.
Don't waste your monies on record the black and white chorus looks great and works with 100% the same mechanical operation

LionelB

by LionelB

The SR RD is ultra cool and so are the 3 holes in the shifter levers ;-) Does it matter? Not really.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

Does it matter? Yes it does :D

LionelB

by LionelB

OK I am going to stop arguing ;-)

ichobi

by ichobi

Chorus it is then. Wheels still need upgrade!

xjbaylor

by xjbaylor

Chorus + Hyperons (such as those Lionel is sporting) is better than SR sans Hyperons...

SalsaLover

by SalsaLover

But SR+hyperons are even better ;)
Hucken The Fard Up !
Colnagos : C50 ST01 - Master 30th AD10 - C40 Mapei WC

Irish

by Irish

Early adapter to 11spd and bought Chorus. This is an early g/set and has the "lighter" changer action and rear derailleur spring. After 5 years I still have no problems and it functions perfectly (I've changed 1set of crank bearings and it's due it's 3rd set of cables now). When I built this to my frame I used a Record 10spd front mech for the carbon cage and old record skeleton brake calipers I had.

The 10spd front mech has worked without flaw and the only part I would change on a chorus g/set is the crank bearings. Also the Athena g/set is slightly heavier than Chorus but only loses function with the power shift ergos towards Chorus ultra shift.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Best bang for the buck is definitely Chorus. If I would switch to 11 speed that's what I would get.
██

airwise

by airwise

For my second bike I went mainly with Chorus. I upgraded the Rear mech to Record as it looks way better and the cost difference wasn't great.

I upgraded the shifters to Record too as I was under the impression that the top two groups use ball bearings for the shift mechanisms and are likely to offer greater durability.

Certainly Chorus Cassette is a massive cost saving for little compromise (weight) and the chain is harder wearing too. The brakes are the same functionally as are the cranks and the front mech. It works well but I would definitely go for the dual pivot rear brake if you ride the hills.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

I think Athena is overlooked automatically due to the Powertorque cranks & Powershift levers. But the benefits of the top end can be had for £150 approx on top of the Athena Carbon rice, wehich is still a fair chunk below the cost of a Chorus group. Weight-wise the mechs & callipers are only 50g or so heavier that the Chorus versions. So for bang for buck a Chorus/Athena mix wins IMO.

ferrarista

by ferrarista

I think ultimobici is right. If someone wants to save money, chorus shifters with Athena carbon group. Actually the Athena carbon power torque crank weighs slightly less than the chorus , but is more of a pain to install, uninstall than the ultra torque system.
██

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com