Tires blowing off Stan's Alpha 340 rims

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

durianrider

by durianrider

Happened to me today. Brand new latest model 340 rim.

2 wraps of 21mm tape.
120psi.
One tyre brand new Vittoria Corsa 23.
Other tyre worn GP4000 25mm.

What a crappy rim!

As if you would let a rim this dangerous get into the hands of cyclists around the world. This is a class action law suit waiting to happen! lol!
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

I sooooo wanted to build some of these up but the thought of it blowing a tyre off a rim at any speed and getting myself killed is enough to put me off...I am going to go hplus archetype for a bit of wide rim comfort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

headwind816

by headwind816

I have a build in the works - DA7900 32-eyelets with Sapim Laser to Alpha gen2 rims - and I will keep the community updated. I have several mates running alphas for years with zero issues UK including in CX, and I am not overly concerned. Beaides, it cannot be worse than being ran through by a vehicle on multiple ocassions ... at least, I hope not.

I had a Continue 4000s blow off my front OP during a crit last year ... close to 100-degrees and the tube blew. My tire got stuck in brake, and I went from 20 to 0 instantly.

1ferrari

by 1ferrari

Ive had two sets of older 340's now, never had a tire blow off. I've always used Hutchinson Fusion 3's, and am currently using Hutchinson Galactik's (Always ran them tubeless). I used to wrap with one layer of tape but I found that when the wheels heated up the base tape would soften up and puncture just from the air pressure in the tire. Started using two layers of 21mm Stan's tape and never had a problem. The tires are MUCH easier to bead up, the bead seats tighter once its aired up, and no more leaking/puncture issues with two layers. I know the Fusion 3's arent the lightest, but I highly recomend them. They last forever, have good grip, are puncture resistant, and the carbon beads are solid and fit in the hook on the 340 wheels perfect.

tinozee

by tinozee

That's weird, I have never had any issue with three pairs of those rims and thousands of miles. Then again I don't get why you would use a tube on a tubeless rim. I always used the hutchinson tires - atom, fusion and intensive and the bead locks in place.

I scanned the thread and didn't see anyone having an issue using tubeless ready tires. Am I wrong? Maybe don't use clinchers and tubes on the 340.

durianrider

by durianrider

Got a brand new latest gen Stan's Alpha 400 and using a maxxis tyre it blew that off the rim going around a corner.

Ive riden over 250 000km and never had a tyre blow off a rim. Since using Stan's for the last few weeks, Ive had 3 tyres BLOW OFF THE RIM.

Its time for Stan's to do a recall before someone gets killed. They do not respond to emails nor answer this question on their help forum. Ive also read of people blowing Hutchy Fusion 3's running tubeless, off the rim with sealant covering the rider behind.
My YT channel
http://www.youtube.com/user/durianriders?feature=mhee" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Follow me on Strava
http://app.strava.com/athletes/254600

4crosswheels

by 4crosswheels

Got them with Ultremo zlx 25mm with tubes in and one wrap of yellow tape.... should I worry?

tinozee

by tinozee

Durianrider can you link to the stuff you read about people blowing hutchinson fusion 3 off the rim of stan's rims? Not saying I don't believe it, just scary.

Tx

khaostik

by khaostik

Happened the same to me! I was going on a descent and the front tire exploded..
Then I realized that in the holes of the rim, the stans tape with time starts to go down.. and I think that's the reason for the blows.. Somehow the innertube gets fragilized on those holes...
So I've ordered veloplugs, fitted them to the rim, and then I putted 2 layers of stans tape and voilá.. it's solved... :)

Best regards,

Filipe Dias

tinozee

by tinozee

Why do so many people use tubes and clinchers on tubeless rims? I don't get the logic.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

4crosswheels wrote:Got them with Ultremo zlx 25mm with tubes in and one wrap of yellow tape.... should I worry?

You need two layers of tape.
formerly rruff...

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

khaostik wrote:Then I realized that in the holes of the rim, the stans tape with time starts to go down..

That is a completely different issue than what we are discussing here, and did you use two layers of tape?
formerly rruff...

angrylegs

by angrylegs

Been riding 340s with clinchers for a couple years. Last 6-12 months or so, both wheels have been upgraded to the slightly beefier, newer rim version after each eventually got cracks where spokes were pulling through the rims. I exclusively ride Veloflex on them. For a while now, it's been Corsa 22s or 23s.

I've experienced no problems on them whatsoever. They saw some hard racing until I switched to tubulars for that. I do my intervals on them, fast descents and some pretty mean group rides on them with no worries. If anything, Veloflex tires are rather hard to install on them (by hand - no tire lever). Based on my experiences, I've absolutely no worries riding them, even after reading this topic, although I'd be really wary now were I to fit other tires or find a tire that was too stretched as to be easier on the install. Ymmv. Be safe!

mises

by mises

I'm starting to think it's high inflation pressure in a number of these cases. The above 120psi with a 25mm tire on a 340 rim (effectively more like 27mm) is very high - which negates all the benefits of higher volume tires too.

I'm a fan of red veloplugs on 340 rims - just have to push down hard when installing so they lock in place and conform to the curve better. A screwdriver handle will save your fingers some wear and tear.

angrylegs

by angrylegs

mises wrote:I'm starting to think it's high inflation pressure in a number of these cases. The above 120psi with a 25mm tire on a 340 rim (effectively more like 27mm) is very high - which negates all the benefits of higher volume tires too.

FWIW I ride Veloflex on these rims from around ~95-110, depending on conditions, and have never once had a problem.

mises wrote:I'm a fan of red veloplugs on 340 rims - just have to push down hard when installing so they lock in place and conform to the curve better. A screwdriver handle will save your fingers some wear and tear.

I'm currently using two layers of tape, but have also used the red veloplugs on these rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com